DMC4 arguement is moot.

#41KyryloPosted 4/29/2013 10:07:13 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
I didn't care about backtracking at all in DMC 4. The game has worse issues other than backtracking. Besides, backtracking has been always considered a trademark for the series.

DMC 1, 2,3 and 4 had it. DmC is the only game that avoided such element...

Why DMC 4 fails:

1) It forces you to play with a character that was never hinted in previous games...

2) It forces you to play with Nero from the beginning of the game...

3) Unlockables are poor. By the way, is there any real unlockable in the game at all?

4) It had a bad love story that is not part of the DMC saga.

5) Last boss is a flying old man that was the same boss from Mission 11. Yeah, how original...

6) Nero only uses a weapon in the whole game. No different guns.

7) Dante turned into a drunk and a troll.

8) No sense of danger, zero suspense, nothing was serious.

9) Enemies were boring ( most of them)...

10) Bosses are the same for both Nero and Dante...

11) Nero is slow and his gameplay is horrible, poor, terrible and badly done. When you have to deal with multiple enemies, it's all hell due the slow controls and the poor combos.

12) Dante only had 7 missions. Yeah, the most important character was reduced to a cameo role.

13) Who needs Kyrieeee? I don't.

14) Nero had zero charisma and no chemistry with the other characters.

15) Bosses are easy and they have no personality, except Dante who is also a boss in the game.

16) Nothing about Nero was explained.

17) Dante didn't even fight the last boss, which is disappointing.

18) Trish and Lady were reduced to poor versions of themselves. Lady from DMC 3 was way, way better and even more beautiful.

19) Secret missions were weak.

20) Nero was overpowered and sometimes he was even stronger than Dante during boss battles. Absurd.

When Nero asked if he would see Dante again, I was praying to see Dante answering "Of course not, it's just a bad dream and I've just had a bad day".

Good thing we can play other games to forget DMC 4...;)

0/10

I agree with Firemage. To much points token obviously from objective review of DmC. Such as "secret missions are weak, and last boss is terrible crap"
#42zfair89Posted 4/30/2013 2:48:39 AM
The main problem with DMC4 wasn't backtracking but a repetition of the same basic boss enemies with no regard as to how boring they would be to fight against as Dante.

DMC1 altered the boss patterns at least and put up new environment restrictions in each fight.
#43Psychochild27Posted 4/30/2013 3:37:19 AM
very debatable and i can understand you opinions, i do agree the difficulty of DMC1 was more than the non-vanilla version of DMC3, but the enemies in DMC3 has more variety me thinks...

More variety? With exceptions of Arachnes, Abyss and arguably Fallen, each enemy in DMC3 only has two or three moves most of which the vast majority of them are melee attacks with huge, obvious tells that were more fluff than meaningful in distinguishing between the two strikes. DMC3's enemies don't often have more than one answer to any situation but "Get closer and swing" and god help them once you figure out how to jump cancel as the vast majority of them don't have an anti-air attack (In fact, of the Hells only a lust gets something like that. On DMD). That and for the most part, enemies were incredibly straightforward.

This is in stark contrast to DMC1 where Marionettes alone had universal ranged attacks with different speeds/trajectories/audio cues depending on their equipped weapon, they had a spinning attack to quickly close distance, they could string Dante up like a puppet, they had melee strikes, they had grabs, they could break out of combos and counter-attack you if you weren't paying attention and these were the lowest level mooks.
#44KyryloPosted 4/30/2013 3:45:56 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
very debatable and i can understand you opinions, i do agree the difficulty of DMC1 was more than the non-vanilla version of DMC3, but the enemies in DMC3 has more variety me thinks...

More variety? With exceptions of Arachnes, Abyss and arguably Fallen, each enemy in DMC3 only has two or three moves most of which the vast majority of them are melee attacks with huge, obvious tells that were more fluff than meaningful in distinguishing between the two strikes. DMC3's enemies don't often have more than one answer to any situation but "Get closer and swing" and god help them once you figure out how to jump cancel as the vast majority of them don't have an anti-air attack (In fact, of the Hells only a lust gets something like that. On DMD). That and for the most part, enemies were incredibly straightforward.

This is in stark contrast to DMC1 where Marionettes alone had universal ranged attacks with different speeds/trajectories/audio cues depending on their equipped weapon, they had a spinning attack to quickly close distance, they could string Dante up like a puppet, they had melee strikes, they had grabs, they could break out of combos and counter-attack you if you weren't paying attention and these were the lowest level mooks.

you're right. I always bring enemies from DMC1 as example of being on of the best enemies in games overall. I think so clever designed enemies I saw only in NG
#45prince_nagashPosted 4/30/2013 7:35:18 AM
Gotta give Ink some credit for the list if flaws in DMC4. I enjoyed DMC4 a lot. It was a fun ride.

I agree with several of those faults, although they don't make the game terrible, I still see them as unmet potential.

The scope of the game felt so big that they just didn't have the time or budget to fit everything they wanted in it.

I felt the enemy design was a step up from DMC3, and the bosses, although repeated, felt closer to DMC1 style designs. So where it outdid DMC3, it did in the most important areas.

My biggest gripe though is how OP Nero was with his boss grabs and to actually be able to land a dropkick on Dante. I call BS on that. The whole game I just wanted Dante to knock him out. But I guess Dante did "underestimate" him. Was waiting for Dante to go DT and make Nero crap his pants to see who he's actually trying to mess with.

Biggest dump he took on Dante was taking his brother's sword.
#465hadowsPosted 4/30/2013 9:36:40 AM
FireMage7777 posted...
If DMC5 happens, Kamiya won't be the one doing it. And I'm happy for that

The sequels might have been better, but they already had taken the basic formula from Kamiya, besides Itsuno almost destroyed the series with 2, he had then a lot of time and feedback to produce 3 and then keep the formula for 4.

Had Kamiya been in charge of the series from 1 up to now we might have gotten games just as good as the ones Itsuno did and maybe even not get this reboot from NT.
---
Ill add something here later....
#47Malus_X6Posted 4/30/2013 10:40:52 AM(edited)
Biggest dump he took on Dante was taking his brother's sword.

First time, the sword basically CHOSE Nero.

Second time, Dante gave Nero the sword. Why? Was it because there's a connection to Vergil, or even Sparda? Did Dante actually think Nero was worthy enough for Yamato? We'll never know because Capcom not only dropped the ball, they kicked it into the grumpy old man's yard and his dog ripped it to pieces.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#48FireMage7777Posted 4/30/2013 10:49:50 AM
5hadows posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

The sequels might have been better, but they already had taken the basic formula from Kamiya, besides Itsuno almost destroyed the series with 2, he had then a lot of time and feedback to produce 3 and then keep the formula for 4.

Had Kamiya been in charge of the series from 1 up to now we might have gotten games just as good as the ones Itsuno did and maybe even not get this reboot from NT.

Doubt it
---
I love my fans...too bad most of them aren't the good kind :D
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#49SiLVeR_420Posted 4/30/2013 11:36:10 AM
5hadows posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

Itsuno came onto DMC2 very late in its development.

If Kamiya was in charge we wouldn't be playing Dante. It would have been either his son or daughter.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#50Yuber255Posted 4/30/2013 12:44:18 PM
I don't even call what you did in DMC4 backtracking it was literally just walking in reverse with a different dude. Suppose that is still backtracking but... let me explain.

Imo there are 2 types of backtracking the 1st is the type DMC1 and 3 had where generally when going over an old place it's to get to a new place using a new item/move you've acquired or to just find items you can get using your new item/move.

This kind of backtracking is usually seen in Metroid-style games and I actually like it as it makes the world feel less linear and more realistic imo.

The other type of "backtracking" is DMC4's which would be like if part way through Super Metroid you played a different person and just went to all the places Samus just went and fought the same bosses again but in reverse. I hate this kind of "backtracking" as it's clearly just a cheap way to pad out the game without making new resources.
---
Son of the Legendary Troll Knight Shatter