How does DmC stack up to other inferior Western action games?

#1PunkMcThrustPosted 5/7/2013 6:29:02 AM
So by now it's absolutely and entirely obvious that Western developers have absolutely no clue how to make a good action game, but how does DmC stack up with its western contemporaries?

I used to say DmC is the best western action game yet made but now I'm not even sure of that. Hell I hate God of War with an insane flaming passion and I think God of War 2 might even be better at this point.

And what about Dante's Inferno and Darksiders 1&2?
---
Armstrong for President
#2CrimzonHeadPosted 5/7/2013 6:44:15 AM
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/metal-gear-rising-revengeance
---
"Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. We don't care about anything else." - Faceman_
Don't be scared homie.
#3PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 6:45:33 AM
CrimzonHead posted...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/metal-gear-rising-revengeance

And? Look at the user scores.
Or even better, look at the sales.
Or even better, notice how half the Rising reviews were "BAWWWWW IT'S TOO HARD FOR ME WHY IS THERE NO BLOCK OR DODGE"
---
Armstrong for President
#4KyryloPosted 5/7/2013 6:57:53 AM
Darksiders, Dante's Inferno and Lords of Shadow are all easily pummel DmC to the ground.
#5InfiniteDemisePosted 5/7/2013 7:13:43 AM
Didn't Capcom Japan do most, if not all the work with regards to the combat engine? Or at least held NT's hand until they rightfully threw them under a bus.
---
" Its said that God made the universe and wants everyone to praise him.... Talk about an egomaniac "
#6PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 7:18:19 AM
InfiniteDemise posted...
Didn't Capcom Japan do most, if not all the work with regards to the combat engine? Or at least held NT's hand until they rightfully threw them under a bus.

I highly doubt it. Capcom's Japanese staff did ASSIST with the combat but they didn't design it. They just sort of added some overall polish and instructed NT on how to do some things.

Like they said "Your punch animations are boring. You want a slow windup and then the punch comes out really fast for more impact."
And of course the infamous elbow blades.

This game was mostly NT's mess. And honestly I think the only combat Capcom Japan was heavily involved with was for Vorgul's Downfall considering how much of a huge improvement over the main game it was.
---
Armstrong for President
#7QCTeamkillPosted 5/7/2013 7:25:02 AM
InfiniteDemise posted...

So you see, MR. Vice President of your company shows up.

VP: Hi guys, so there's a new vision for our studio, we're going to outsource your jobs to contractants offshore.

You: Huh, that sucks.

VP: It's better for sale, they're better to appeal at their own audience, you'll just need to give them a few pointers.

You: They're developping with Unreal we're with MT...

VP: Let's say we scheduled like... 3 meetings this year. Anyway, just make the best of it, or else if they fail all the development jobs will come back to Japan.

You: Ok, sure I get it.
#8Psychochild27Posted 5/7/2013 7:32:17 AM
This game was mostly NT's mess. And honestly I think the only combat Capcom Japan was heavily involved with was for Vorgul's Downfall considering how much of a huge improvement over the main game it was.

I really didn't see it that way. Vergil's gameplay was just dull. His animations were hideous and lacked the sort of style and technique that defines Vergil, his Angel Stance moves were all unpleasant to deal with across the board and his air moves just felt terrible. The only thing interesting about him was his Summoned Sword teleportation shenanigans, otherwise his throwaway unlockable character in DMC3:SE feels like a much more realized and coherent character which honestly shouldn't be the case because he was such a half-ass effort to start with.

That's not even bringing up the terrible stages of which only four are unique, one's a boss fight only chapter of a boss from the original game and mission 6 is a straight environmental retread.

Darksiders 1 is a Zelda game with DMC-flavored combat - It's simpler, but it still feels incredibly satisfying and War is a beast when it comes to environmental traversal unlike Dino who just plods along. Darksiders 1 definitely takes my personal favorite western action game, though 2's just a mess.
#9PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 7:36:25 AM
Psychochild27 posted...

I really didn't see it that way. Vergil's gameplay was just dull. His animations were hideous and lacked the sort of style and technique that defines Vergil, his Angel Stance moves were all unpleasant to deal with across the board and his air moves just felt terrible. The only thing interesting about him was his Summoned Sword teleportation shenanigans, otherwise his throwaway unlockable character in DMC3:SE feels like a much more realized and coherent character which honestly shouldn't be the case because he was such a half-ass effort to start with.

That's not even bringing up the terrible stages of which only four are unique, one's a boss fight only chapter of a boss from the original game and mission 6 is a straight environmental retread.

Darksiders 1 is a Zelda game with DMC-flavored combat - It's simpler, but it still feels incredibly satisfying and War is a beast when it comes to environmental traversal unlike Dino who just plods along. Darksiders 1 definitely takes my personal favorite western action game, though 2's just a mess.

Really the only reason I liked Vorgul's gameplay so much was because it actually sort of felt like there was a modicum of skill needed to play him. Nothing he has is absolutely broken aside from maybe his timing based charge moves which require good timing to nail every time, certainly better than Donte's demon dodge. And you actually have to jump cancel to play as him, whereas with Donte jump cancelling just causes your combos to drop clumsily.

It still had its issues but hell, on Vorgul Must Die I actually at some points felt like losing was possible, especially with the Turbo Mod
---
Armstrong for President
#10StepswordsmanPosted 5/7/2013 8:15:08 AM
I don't know, I personally liked Darksiders 2 more, but it may be due to Death being a snarky and edgy, yet not repulsive or overdone character, unlike somebody else we all know.
---
Decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing.