How does DmC stack up to other inferior Western action games?

#51Double991Posted 5/8/2013 8:11:01 AM
CrimzonHead posted...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/metal-gear-rising-revengeance

The ratios in the user reviews on that page are way off. Why is that?

You can see what they really are here:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dmc-devil-may-cry/user-reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/metal-gear-rising-revengeance/user-reviews
---
PSN : Double991
With my Axton I am the Forrest Gump of Borderlands 2! I'm overpowered so I can't be nerfed and I also breach integrity's!
#52Edward_R_MurrowPosted 5/8/2013 11:03:18 AM
PunkMcThrust posted...
At least El Shaddai is art. As in actual good art. It's the most beautiful game ever made by a landslide, had a pretty good story with interesting takes on religious figures, and great music.

It was certainly pretty, but I've got to say I appreciated something like Okami a lot more given that it had a much more cohesive visual style while delivering some pretty amazing visuals. El Shaddai felt like they gave six or seven artists a lot of LSD, locked them in separate rooms, and then whipstiched their products together into one aesthetic.

Plus, I wasn't a huge fan of the some of the weird mixes of aesthetics. The futuristic fallen-angel tech was cool and worked well, but the strange contrast between the old-school garb of some angels (fallen or otherwise) and Enoch/Lucifer wearing designer stuff...yeah.

The story I'm not so positive on. It basically assumes you are big into some strange biblical apocrypha and don't mind a wafer-thin narrative that's told in a "cool" way (woah, Lucifer on a cell phone! COWABUNGA!).

The gameplay may have been a little bad but it wasn't really THAT bad.

It's basically a game with almost all the same flaws as DmC, except more magnified in certain cases. There's tons of under-developed "platforming" filler. The combat encounters all quickly converge to the same crap; in DmC's case enemies with narrow methods of disposal (witches, butchers, etc.) stacked together and in El Shaddai's case the same rock/paper/scissors fights against incredibly similar enemies over and over and over again. Playing for high ranks is not particularly fun. The controls aren't very well done in either game as both games timing combos feel much stiffer and more restrictive than those in DMC1/3/4, which is especially bad for El Shaddai seeing as 60%+ of the moveset is timing based. And at least DmC didn't deny me the access to combat feedback indicators (health bars, overboost meter, etc.) on my first playthrough due to an obsession with minimalism.

I can definitely dig that El Shaddai being bad is water under the bridge compared to a beloved series getting LOLREBOOTPWNED in such a way that we may not see a good DMC5 or classic Dante again. And it's also understandable that a game with the financial backing of El Shaddai is fighting an uphill battle versus something like DmC. But, for me, it doesn't change the end result. El Shaddai just wasn't much fun.

5hadows posted...
GoW is better than LoS. at least the first two ran at 60 fps.

Framerate is pretty much the only area where God of War is better than Lords of Shadow. Yeah, it's a very important facet of this genre, but God of War fails hard in almost every other respect while Lords of Shadow is...passable in most.

vgundam posted...
LOL Nightshade and Shinobi are works of art! They take true skill. They are video games in their purest form, unlike Ninja Theory's cinematic garbage.

Shinobi was great. Nightshade was a total mess. Akujiki's slash gauge imposed constraints on the designers that created a lean, no-frills experience. "Freed" from that constraint, the devs behind Nightshade made a whole bunch of boring filler with corridors and pointless 30-tates handed out like candy. Shinobi lived on good level design; Nightshade died because of bad level design.
---
dfsdfsddfsdfsddf
#53PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 11:05:39 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Strelok posted...
Yes, the reviewers have so much more relevance than the fans, that is why unsuccessful games always get sequels ri- wait...

It seems that they're only reliable if they agree with what antis think...

However, if they disagree with you, obviously fans opinions are the real ones, while critics are paid to like a game. Well, obviously every critic, every pro, every review, every news, everyone was paid to give DmC a good score.

There is no way anyone could like a game called DmC, right antis? It's simple impossible, thus meaning it's money that bought everyone. Capcom has that ammount of money, to pay everyone around the world. Ahhh, that's so delicious and tastefully done. XD

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, congratulations. It looks like you're finally getting it!
---
Armstrong for President
#54RagueltheUFOPosted 5/8/2013 11:15:26 AM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Strelok posted...
Yes, the reviewers have so much more relevance than the fans, that is why unsuccessful games always get sequels ri- wait...

It seems that they're only reliable if they agree with what antis think...

However, if they disagree with you, obviously fans opinions are the real ones, while critics are paid to like a game. Well, obviously every critic, every pro, every review, every news, everyone was paid to give DmC a good score.

There is no way anyone could like a game called DmC, right antis? It's simple impossible, thus meaning it's money that bought everyone. Capcom has that ammount of money, to pay everyone around the world. Ahhh, that's so delicious and tastefully done. XD

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, congratulations. It looks like you're finally getting it!

Ink, can you stop being a basket case? The reviews were paid given how the media has been behind DmC from the beginning to the end. The fans are right because they voted with their wallets and this game flopped.

Also I love how you don't bring up how Capcom has lost so much money over this financial quarter.

Then again, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I doubt this information is getting to your head.

And you spelled amount wrong. Intelligence level went down by one.
#55Xtreme65Posted 5/8/2013 1:39:46 PM
Look I'm a pro and even I can tell there was something wrong with the reviews of this game.

Just look at the GI review. They gave it a 9/10 but once you actually READ the review it sounds like it didn't deserve anything beyond a 7/10. The review itself was good but the number they slapped on was very questionable.

In other words you're better off forming your own opinion on this game because critics and users are both biased here. (seriously 1s and 2s people? Have you even PLAYED bad games?)

Now how does it compare to other Western action games? Well it has the best weapon variety and switching between all of them is the most fluid. But it is probably the easiest and has some of the worst bosses. Only the final boss is decent and its just that.....decent, not groundbreaking or awe inspiring. I think its a good game for casuals to pick up or noobs to the genre. But for those looking for a more hardcore experience should look elsewhere. Hell they shouldn't even be looking at western action games to tell the truth as most of them are easy. For longevity I'd say Darksiders as theres alot of secrets to find and puzzles to solve.
---
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.
#56PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 1:50:02 PM
Xtreme65 posted...
Look I'm a pro and even I can tell there was something wrong with the reviews of this game.

Just look at the GI review. They gave it a 9/10 but once you actually READ the review it sounds like it didn't deserve anything beyond a 7/10. The review itself was good but the number they slapped on was very questionable.

In other words you're better off forming your own opinion on this game because critics and users are both biased here. (seriously 1s and 2s people? Have you even PLAYED bad games?)

Now how does it compare to other Western action games? Well it has the best weapon variety and switching between all of them is the most fluid. But it is probably the easiest and has some of the worst bosses. Only the final boss is decent and its just that.....decent, not groundbreaking or awe inspiring. I think its a good game for casuals to pick up or noobs to the genre. But for those looking for a more hardcore experience should look elsewhere. Hell they shouldn't even be looking at western action games to tell the truth as most of them are easy. For longevity I'd say Darksiders as theres alot of secrets to find and puzzles to solve.

If the journalists are going to give it 8's and 9's we should be able to give it 1's and 2's.
---
Armstrong for President
#57Malus_X6Posted 5/8/2013 2:05:12 PM
My scale goes from 0 to 10.

0 - Can't play for s***. Don't bother.
1 - I've seen turds that look/play better.
2 - It's butt, though some people might like it anyway.
3 - *facepalm*
4 - It's okay, but it could have used a bit more work and some polish.
5 - Hmmm... Kinda fun. A definite "maybe."
6 - Not bad. Not bad at all. *thumbs up*
7 - Pretty good. You should give it a try and see what you think.
8 - Friggin' boss!
9 - It's a damn good game and I think everyone should play it.
10 - F***ING GENIUS!!
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI