All the hate yet DmC is Capcom's #52 highest selling game of all time

#101cthulhufatagnPosted 5/10/2013 11:00:09 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
cthulhufatagn posted...
Conjecture on top of conjecture, do you have a point....or is trolling all you've got?

Psssssst, another secret. I see you're having trouble so I'll guide you. DmC didn't sell 1.1. across 3 platforms. It was actually 2. Go see Strelok's problem for an analysis on this issue you have.
Shhhhhhhhh.

Still didn't sell that much...if you believe that than you're gullible
---
Cthulhu Fatagn!!!
#102StrelokPosted 5/10/2013 11:41:20 PM
Yes, in the first post, because that was TOTALLY not easily confused with the first post I was quoting...

Wait it was.

You were unclear. Simple as that.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#103Y2JUzumakiPosted 5/11/2013 1:11:55 AM
Right. So my plan, from 2 months ago, to use dynamite to split the message boards in two and have it collapse in on itself to try to bring antis and pros together failed miserably. Just ended up getting stuck under a bunch of rubble.

I recently got out from said rubble, only to find that all hell has broken loose here again. Think the the best solution now would be to simply burn the message board to the ground.
#104cthulhufatagnPosted 5/11/2013 1:20:45 AM
Y2JUzumaki posted...
Right. So my plan, from 2 months ago, to use dynamite to split the message boards in two and have it collapse in on itself to try to bring antis and pros together failed miserably. Just ended up getting stuck under a bunch of rubble.

I recently got out from said rubble, only to find that all hell has broken loose here again. Think the the best solution now would be to simply burn the message board to the ground.

Um, who are you?
---
Cthulhu Fatagn!!!
#105_Uwye_Posted 5/11/2013 1:36:46 AM(edited)
Dis gonna be gud

Your entire argument is "they're lying" and "I said so." All I've done this entire time is provide facts.

No, you didn't. You repeated what a company (and only that compnay) said ignoring the context, data and the fact that they have a reason to spin facts.

Provide links that state "1 million use to be the standard, but not anymore" and proof that Capcom is lying.

First, I never said "1 million used to be the standard". Standard of what? What I said is that 1 millions used to be a hit. You see, you have this absurd idea that "being a hit" is an immutable thing, that once you pass the 1 million threshold it automatically becomes a hit. It doesn't work that way. There are three things to consider:

-Install base. A million seller with an install base of 30 millions (SNes, Genesis) isn't the same as a million seller with an install base of 140 millions (PS360).

-Genre's average sales number: Self explanatory. If games in a genre sell on average X and you sell more/less then your game is a hit/flop.

-Budget: the biggest one to consider. AAA games are expensive. Publishers on average keep 28-30 dollars out of 60* when you buy a game so a game selling 1 million earns to the company...28-30 million dollars (duh). Development time nowadays are on average 18~24 months, teams are at least 50 persons and salaries are on average 81k per year.** So let's apply this to DmC and NT, shall we? DmC sold 1.1 millions so if all copies were sold at full price Capcom made 30~33 million dollars (this is already a best case scenario). NT worked on the game for nearly three years with a development team of 90 persons*** so that means a whooping 21 million dollars, more or less. Oh wait! But then there's marketing (10 million dollars is the bare minimum), the outsourced PC port, NT negotiating a bit more than they needed to just pay their salaries during the development, and other various expenses. You have to wonder how much money capcom actually made, but according to you 1 million = hit.

Things don't exist in a vacuum.

*http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

**http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167355/

***http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/16/dmc-devil-may-cry-development-team-has-over-90-members/

Second (man that was long) Capcom IS lying. Before they explicitely said they were making DmC to sell more, now they act like they are satisfied with 1.1 millions. They were lying before or now (hint: now).

No. Once again you're looking at Call of Duty numbers. Yes, DMC should be high numbers, but the 1 million mark is NOT for low budget games at all. You're completely making this up. Ergo, on the million mark, DmC is a hit. It still failed everywhere else which is what I've been saying.

See above. For a low budget game 1 million is a hit, I don't know how you can deny that. Lollypop Chainsaw shipped (not sold, shipped) 700k and it's the biggest success of Grasshopper. Suda51 would be ecstatic to sell a million.

However, notice how they projected 1.5 million. If 1 million is nothing, shouldn't they have said 3 million?
Once again, you're looking at the big numbers.

I'm NOT looking at the big numbers. If I'm saying that 1 million isn't a hit anymore for AAA titles is because it's not enough to really make a profit AND because a TON of AAA games sell at least 1 million. If the average goes up THAT becomes the new average.

Capcom said they were expecting 1.5 millions because they realized that's what the final product could concivebly (sp?) sell. When the project started they probably thought it could be a mega seller but things have changed A LOT in VG land in the last four years.
#106_Uwye_Posted 5/11/2013 1:40:34 AM(edited)
Which is why Capcom failed and rebooted DMC in the first place. Capcom is clearly delusional. There's no arguing about it. Look at RE6. They wanted it to sell 7 million. 7. Within a few months of its release. When they're highest selling RE, RE5, hasn't even made that and it's been out 3-4 years.

RE5 was released when the install base 1/5 of what is today. Frankly it wasn't at all a pipe dream considering that RE6 sold 4.8 millions in the first month. Problem was that the game wasn't great and sales fell over a cliff but otherwise it would have been totally doable.

BUT on the standard of a million, DmC is a hit.

Who made this standard? Why does this work out of context?

And if almost everything is a hit, why don't we see more greatest hits titles then, hm?

"companies are not required to release their titles on the Greatest Hits label even if they meet the criteria."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_%28budget_range%29

If you think that your game has already made all the sales it can get there's no reason to release a GH version, just to name a reason. It still costs money to make a GH version, you know?

It's simple. Notice how these games are listed as the best selling over others. Look at their numbers. Don't get it yet? The list should be either ridiculously filled or have higher numbers than that. After all, 1 million "is nothing today."

I still don't understand. No, it's a lie. I understand completely. You think this is a complete list of million seller. Guess what? It isn't.

Logic says? Because 1 million is a hit. Now your problem is you're looking at CoD and those Wii numbers, lol. And that's what Capcom did.

Already explained.

This is the most ridiculous thing you've said. You literally just said that that entire website listing all those games is pointless and means nothing.

No, what I said is that that quote is meaningless.

In fact that list is very interesting because it has million sellers released at a time when it was a major accomplishment to do so.

If you look up game sales in general, you'll see how the low millions is the most common because that's the standard.

Shouldn't hits be outside the norm? If you need to crank something up to eleven than you have to readjust the scale. If one million is the norm then 1 million isn't a hit anymore.

Go ahead. Provide your source. Since Capcom lied about this, show the truth.

I already demonstrated with my l33t math skillz how 1 million for an AAA title makes for a company just nickel and dimes.

Provide me with another non-capcom source that states that 1 million is the generally accpeted standard for a hit. Since you are saying it's the truth it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Fact is, 1 million isn't back in the 16 bit era, that's still the consensus for today.

Well, if it's the consensus then it should be even easier to demonstrate. How weird! If I put "one million copies is a hit videogame" in google the only response similar to Capcom's line is...nothing.

I have already said this a million times, things don't exist in a vacuum.

But as far as what I've said and said those two months ago, DmC failed, but if it hit that 1 million, it's a hit on that basis alone.

So according to you, since 1 million is a hit regardless of context, if the next GTA sold that much it would still be a hit. Right.
#107Y2JUzumakiPosted 5/11/2013 1:50:51 AM
cthulhufatagn posted...
Y2JUzumaki posted...

Um, who are you?

Nobody worth remembering. ^_^
#108cthulhufatagnPosted 5/11/2013 1:55:41 AM
Y2JUzumaki posted...
cthulhufatagn posted...
Y2JUzumaki posted...

Um, who are you?

Nobody worth remembering. ^_^

Hence why your plan went to s***
---
Cthulhu Fatagn!!!