On DMC HD Collection's sales

#1PunkMcThrustPosted 5/11/2013 12:17:05 PM(edited)
Here's a few reasons for why it sold not as much as DmC.

1. Capcom has been stepping on people's toes since about late 2009. By 2012/2013 many of Capcom's old fans had decided to entirely boycott their games as a whole and declare them the worst company in gaming, even going so far as to call them "Japanese EA" sometimes. There's a lot of people who refuse to give Capcom money.

2. Anybody interested in DMC already has DMC3: SE. Really the only draw of the HD Collection was to play DMC1 without crappy controls. But there's a big portion of the DMC fanbase who doesn't care about 1 because it's a clunky survival horror offshoot unlike DMC3 which is all about tight, deep combat. And there are people who are fine with DMC1's terrible controls anyways and don't really care for an HD version.

3. The HD Collection had no advertising and almost no media coverage next to the DmC debacle so the only people who knew about it were Devil May Cry fans, many of which like I said in point 2 already have DMC3 and don't need an HD Collection.

4. PS2 emulation has really come into its own recently, anybody with a good enough PC can easily just play DMC3:SE with tons of extra options at their disposal and without having to deal with Ubisoft's terrible PC port. So anybody emulating DMC3 and DMC1 doesn't need the HD Collection.

Oh, and for an HD Collection with what is certainly a low budget to exponentially make DMC1 a far better game as well as sell 800k copies with no advertising makes it far more of a success than DmC.

HD had no media coverage or advertising, meanwhile DmC was a huge controversial game that was in the public eye and was advertised the most out of any DMC game, yet DmC only sold a few hundred thousand more.

DmC had a huge budget (probably the highest of the Devil May Cry series) and hardly outsold DMC HD Collection. So for Capcom's money, the investment in DMC HD returned a better ratio than the investment in DmC.
See pros, it's not all about which number is bigger. It's about what it took to get said number. DmC probably cost several times what the HD Collection cost yet sold only a few hundred thousand more.
---
Armstrong for President
#2RukumouruPosted 5/11/2013 12:13:12 PM
It's also worth noting that for PC players, both DMC1 and DMC3:SE (and even DMC2) can be played in any resolution with fully customizable controls.

I literally had less than zero reasons to buy the HD collection.
#3PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 12:18:07 PM
Rukumouru posted...
It's also worth noting that for PC players, both DMC1 and DMC3:SE (and even DMC2) can be played in any resolution with fully customizable controls.

Haha I forgot about PCSX2 somehow. Even though I've been playing through Forever Kingdom.
---
Armstrong for President
#45hadowsPosted 5/11/2013 12:20:22 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Rukumouru posted...

Haha I forgot about PCSX2 somehow. Even though I've been playing through Forever Kingdom.

Don't forget to add that you own a original copy of every game emulated before biased mod mods you.
---
Ill add something here later....
#5PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 12:23:16 PM
5hadows posted...
PunkMcThrust posted...
Rukumouru posted...

Don't forget to add that you own a original copy of every game emulated before biased mod mods you.

I have DMC, DMC3, DMC3:SE, and Forever Kingdom. And of course a PS2.

The only reason I'm even going through Forever Kingdom in an emulator rather than on my PS2 is so I can get the soundtrack which was never officially released.
---
Armstrong for President
#6ScreamingMidgetPosted 5/11/2013 12:29:43 PM
We know. Pro trolls will still call you a troll.
#7TheOriginalMaxPosted 5/11/2013 12:32:23 PM
You guys sure it hasn't sold more than Hipster may Cry? VGChartz indicates the HDC selling more by about 15% and:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601/743946628
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601/743967214

pigboy posted...
DmC dropped out of Amazon top 100 selling game fast only after a few weeks of its release. It is hard to believe there is a sudden strong rebound of game sales for the game to reach another 600k of sales a month without "cheating" with the number. Like many here had said, it is not the first time game publishers lied about the sales number to make themselves look good in the financial reports.

In contrast, Metal Gear Rising was release in February and still selling strong. It remains in top 100 of Amazon best selling game till today (#56 for PS3). This is what a company should be called "solid selling" game.

The funny thing is that the Devil May Cry HD Collection is also still selling strong at #68 of the best selling PS3 game in Amazon.com., but the "newer & edgier" DmC is no where to be found on the list anymore long time ago...

pigboy posted...
Amazon is the biggest online retailer in the world and it is probably the BIGGEST online video game retailer in US. Its top 100 best selling game is a good indicate on how a game is selling. DmC's sales definitely bombed fast at least according to Amazon's number so I also thing the VGChartz number is pretty accurate this time since it is not far from the NPD number too.

The funny thing is that HDC has been selling like a hot-cake ever again since the DmC release. I think it is the original DMC fans protesting to Capcom that we don't want a reboot that completely destroying the original DMC characters and game play.

It will be interest to see how Capcom see the HDC sales number. Do they consider than as part of the DMC 1/2/3 sales or considered HDC as its own game. I think HDC probably would have also broken the 1 million unit number too since it has been selling so well thanks to the new DmC. lol

Just me but sounds quite correct :D
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#8PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 12:37:27 PM
TheOriginalMax posted...
You guys sure it hasn't sold more than Hipster may Cry? VGChartz indicates the HDC selling more by about 15% and:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601/743946628
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry/66152601/743967214

pigboy posted...
DmC dropped out of Amazon top 100 selling game fast only after a few weeks of its release. It is hard to believe there is a sudden strong rebound of game sales for the game to reach another 600k of sales a month without "cheating" with the number. Like many here had said, it is not the first time game publishers lied about the sales number to make themselves look good in the financial reports.

In contrast, Metal Gear Rising was release in February and still selling strong. It remains in top 100 of Amazon best selling game till today (#56 for PS3). This is what a company should be called "solid selling" game.

The funny thing is that the Devil May Cry HD Collection is also still selling strong at #68 of the best selling PS3 game in Amazon.com., but the "newer & edgier" DmC is no where to be found on the list anymore long time ago...

pigboy posted...
Amazon is the biggest online retailer in the world and it is probably the BIGGEST online video game retailer in US. Its top 100 best selling game is a good indicate on how a game is selling. DmC's sales definitely bombed fast at least according to Amazon's number so I also thing the VGChartz number is pretty accurate this time since it is not far from the NPD number too.

The funny thing is that HDC has been selling like a hot-cake ever again since the DmC release. I think it is the original DMC fans protesting to Capcom that we don't want a reboot that completely destroying the original DMC characters and game play.

It will be interest to see how Capcom see the HDC sales number. Do they consider than as part of the DMC 1/2/3 sales or considered HDC as its own game. I think HDC probably would have also broken the 1 million unit number too since it has been selling so well thanks to the new DmC. lol

Just me but sounds quite correct :D

I don't trust VGChartz at all whatsoever. Also yeah, the Amazon sales for the HD Collection seem consistently high.
Even on DmC launch the HD Collection was outselling DmC on Amazon. But that's just Amazon sales, not really counting physical copies which I'm sure DmC sold more of.

As far as I know both of the games probably sold about the same. But they certainly didn't cost the same to make, which I think is the real difference and why HD is a much bigger success than DmC
---
Armstrong for President
#9shatterstarPosted 5/11/2013 1:50:21 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...

1. Capcom has been stepping on people's toes since about late 2009. By 2012/2013 many of Capcom's old fans had decided to entirely boycott their games as a whole and declare them the worst company in gaming, even going so far as to call them "Japanese EA" sometimes. There's a lot of people who refuse to give Capcom money.

2. Anybody interested in DMC already has DMC3: SE. Really the only draw of the HD Collection was to play DMC1 without crappy controls. But there's a big portion of the DMC fanbase who doesn't care about 1 because it's a clunky survival horror offshoot unlike DMC3 which is all about tight, deep combat. And there are people who are fine with DMC1's terrible controls anyways and don't really care for an HD version.

3. The HD Collection had no advertising and almost no media coverage next to the DmC debacle so the only people who knew about it were Devil May Cry fans, many of which like I said in point 2 already have DMC3 and don't need an HD Collection.

4. PS2 emulation has really come into its own recently, anybody with a good enough PC can easily just play DMC3:SE with tons of extra options at their disposal and without having to deal with Ubisoft's terrible PC port. So anybody emulating DMC3 and DMC1 doesn't need the HD Collection.

Oh, and for an HD Collection with what is certainly a low budget to exponentially make DMC1 a far better game as well as sell 800k copies with no advertising makes it far more of a success than DmC.

HD had no media coverage or advertising, meanwhile DmC was a huge controversial game that was in the public eye and was advertised the most out of any DMC game, yet DmC only sold a few hundred thousand more.

DmC had a huge budget (probably the highest of the Devil May Cry series) and hardly outsold DMC HD Collection. So for Capcom's money, the investment in DMC HD returned a better ratio than the investment in DmC.
See pros, it's not all about which number is bigger. It's about what it took to get said number. DmC probably cost several times what the HD Collection cost yet sold only a few hundred thousand more.

Let me just make it simple for you by quoting a certain Chief Lead Developer.

"What was cool back then, isn't cool anymore."

Fixed cameras and getting whacked by enemies off screen isn't cool anymore. Technology is a wonderful thing, we're way beyond that now.

Those games are showing their age and only a fanboy that was a teen way back in 2001 would only be interested and this generation doesn't even give a damn nor remember them.

Do those games have online multiplayer, DLC, or leader boards? Hell no!

That's why DmC outsold the HD Collection in a nutshell.
#10Pesmerga255Posted 5/11/2013 1:54:14 PM
shatterstar posted...
PunkMcThrust posted...

Let me just make it simple for you by quoting a certain Chief Lead Developer.

"What was cool back then, isn't cool anymore."

Fixed cameras and getting whacked by enemies off screen isn't cool anymore. Technology is a wonderful thing, we're way beyond that now.

Those games are showing their age and only a fanboy that was a teen way back in 2001 would only be interested and this generation doesn't even give a damn nor remember them.

Do those games have online multiplayer, DLC, or leader boards? Hell no!

That's why DmC outsold the HD Collection in a nutshell.

Spoken like a mindless sheep.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!