why DmC2 doesn't really make sense *spoilers i suppose..*

#1Orange00Posted 5/15/2013 4:30:22 AM
I could of course state the usual like lesser sales, gameplay, angry fanbase blah blah..

but when you think about it, every good idea that made DmC unique and different from DMC was removed by the end of this game.

like the setting and premise of the game. with Mundus leading world behind the scenes via media and other means with all the evil big brother stuff going was rather cool. But by the end, world is turned into something that might just as well be the world DMC takes place in with demon lead gone.

limbo city that has a major part in pretty much everything in DmC, from visuals to gameplay, is fused with normal world by the end of the game. Again new setting might just as well take place in the world of DMC.

even Dante takes multiple steps towards what OG Dante is. Both his appearance and personality.

so what is left what's unique to DmC? Well Dante is half-angel (not that it had any impact in DmC) and i suppose Vergil is still around...

angel-thing could be done in DMC with a bleach-esque plot twist and Vergil could come back as a sort of demon anytime, no matter how lame it might be.

the only reason i can think for DmC2 is if capcom wants the series to have a story that easier to follow. As sequel could take place directly after DmC, but that's all.
---
Devil May Cry: The Order --Devil May Cry reboot prequel choose your own adventure with RPG elements. Or something-- Join the resistance on a DmC-board near you!
#2TheCyborgNinjaPosted 5/15/2013 7:30:56 AM
If they wanted to change it as radically as they did, they should have built DmC in the style of Onimusha. That way, people who like both those things would be happy.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#3KyryloPosted 5/15/2013 7:35:16 AM
story really driven into corner. you may continue with some twilight plot about Kat's broken heart and how Vergil exacts revenge, but honestly will that be interesting? I mean it would be pretty impossible to avoid to fall flat on cliches. Hollow Ichigo cough I meant Vergil is bright example
#4Mother-NesuPosted 5/15/2013 7:46:41 AM
I just hope when there is a sequel Kat will die... she ticks me off for some reason...
#5KyryloPosted 5/15/2013 7:47:32 AM
Mother-Nesu posted...
I just hope when there is a sequel Kat will die... she ticks me off for some reason...

if she dies it would be end of DmC.
#6Dark_EpathyPosted 5/15/2013 8:06:08 AM
I see what you're saying, and yet that was the point. This game was meant to be a "preboot," right, something that would eventually lead to something like the original canon? So, in that sense, it is pretty similar--the world has demons out in the open, and Dante is actually closer to the original iteration of the character.

That said, there's still room to grow. We've seen nothing of the angels, and Vergil is indeed still around. Seeing Dante work with humankind to start mounting a resistance against the demons would be interesting, too.

Sure, nothing startlingly original, but there's stuff to do with another game.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#7_Uwye_Posted 5/15/2013 8:19:55 AM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I see what you're saying, and yet that was the point. This game was meant to be a "preboot," right, something that would eventually lead to something like the original canon? So, in that sense, it is pretty similar--the world has demons out in the open, and Dante is actually closer to the original iteration of the character.

There's a big difference, though. One that I'm 100% sure they'd ignore if a DmC2 is done. The world is in shambles: demons are in the open and limbo merged with our reality. Can you imagine the mess that that would case? People would go crazy, religions would go nuts, people realizing that some of their relatives, lovers, friends and people in poisition of power were demons or in cahoots with them would lead to distrust and paranoia, fights erupting everywhere. It's a big difference with the old DMC where demons were something humanity knew of since ancient times.
#8Orange00(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 9:08:53 AM
_Uwye_ posted...
Dark_Epathy posted...

There's a big difference, though. One that I'm 100% sure they'd ignore if a DmC2 is done. The world is in shambles: demons are in the open and limbo merged with our reality. Can you imagine the mess that that would case? People would go crazy, religions would go nuts, people realizing that some of their relatives, lovers, friends and people in poisition of power were demons or in cahoots with them would lead to distrust and paranoia, fights erupting everywhere. It's a big difference with the old DMC where demons were something humanity knew of since ancient times.

but in DMC demons were around. They just weren't actively slaying people probably because of lack of proper leader. Like how Mundus is now defeated. In DmC they had world on knees and there was a chance to take things in whole new direction but instead they reverted back to old situation. I was hoping DmC would've been better if Dante & co just won a battle, not the whole war.

i'm not against a sequel to DmC but i don't really see point in it because you could most likely use the very same plot for DMC and there wouldn't be a major difference. I could also be wrong if they play out angel-card of course..
---
Devil May Cry: The Order --Devil May Cry reboot prequel choose your own adventure with RPG elements. Or something-- Join the resistance on a DmC-board near you!
#9Dark_EpathyPosted 5/15/2013 11:12:15 AM
There's a big difference, though. One that I'm 100% sure they'd ignore if a DmC2 is done.

You're right, and they'd ignore it simply because the scope is way too large. But it is different. Of course, DmC2 will most likely start when things have "settled down," and the world's adjusted.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#10_Uwye_Posted 5/15/2013 1:57:23 PM
Orange00 posted...
but in DMC demons were around.

Uh? Yes, they were around since ancient times and humanity/society had evolved knowing they existed (for one demon hunting is a business). Whereas the world in DmC is like ours, where demons aren't around and nobody believes they exist. The difference is huge.

Dark_Epathy posted...
DmC2 will most likely start when things have "settled down," and the world's adjusted.

One could make a case that it's too big of a change for things to settle down in few years.

Generally this kind of scenarios in fictionland are treated very poorly, with everything going back to normal way too fast or unrealistically. See Ghostbusters 2 for example, where all of a sudden people thought that the Ghostbusters were conmen because by defeating Gozer ghosts weren't around anymore. Or Transformers 2 where magically the government was able to keep the events of the first movie under wraps despite thousands of eyewitnesses.