It sickens me how people can say this game is WORSE than DMC 2...

#1TheOmegaShenPosted 5/18/2013 7:43:29 PM
As a newcomer to this franchise, DMC2 was one of the worst games I've ever had to go through and it has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm well aware that this game is **** too, but how can you guys say it's inferior to the worst hack&slash game ever made?
---
Believe in me who believes in you!
PSN: TheOmegaShen
#2ZeroX91Posted 5/18/2013 7:51:40 PM
You wouldn't have the combat in 3 or 4 without the groundwork from 2. I would say it's about on par with DmC.
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429N9zGDugc
#3StepswordsmanPosted 5/18/2013 7:53:40 PM
They are about the same. No way DMC2 is worse than DmC.

That's comparing just the games, by the way. With the disastrous PR surrounding DmC, it wins the title of the worst beat'em up in the first round with a flawless victory.
---
Decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing.
#4Rising_shadowPosted 5/18/2013 7:53:49 PM
Anyone who thinks DMC2 is the absolute worst game ever or even hack and slash ever clearly needs to play more games. Like Genji. Try that turd. Or one of those GoW clones they used to make a few years back.
DMC2 is absolutely a bad game and a terrible DMC game. Mostly because it was never developed to be DMC in concept to begin with. Is it an abomination? No. Not really. It's pretty mediocre but calling it atrocious can only be done in hindsight. It's an old game that's aged badly but back then magazines were giving it scores like 7/10 and the like. Its worst offense as a game is that it's mind bogglingly dull and boring rather than being outright horrible.

The core DMC mechanics are partially there, twisted into scrap, but it was a good lesson into how you create games and don't just re-purpose them into other series. It was a horrible DMC game but a great step towards DMC3. I have no doubts that if DMC2 wasn't that dull they wouldn't have put the effort they did into DMC3.

By comparison DmC just takes an excellent combat system, dumbs it down, strips it of its core, gives it some crappy paintjob that is of worse quality than the previous paintjob and then expects us to react as if we're being done a favour, as if it has descended upon us unworthy masses with a feast of caviar and ambrosia when it's actually rotten fermented shark with rotten seal meat inside its stomach and raw barely cleaned warthog anuses.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#5ZeroX91Posted 5/18/2013 8:06:27 PM(edited)
DMC2 had plenty of glaring flaws just like DmC. Both bad DMC games nothing more.
(I guess you could say one is more indicative of problems in the industry)

I've moved past the PR (as **** as it was) NT proved how immature it (or at least Tameem) is, the whole thing casts them in a bad light and capcom seems content to let them take full blame. I'm content with knowing that work will be scarce for them for a while. (A lesson in humility.)
---
#6Psychochild27Posted 5/18/2013 8:09:11 PM

The core DMC mechanics are partially there, twisted into scrap, but it was a good lesson into how you create games and don't just re-purpose them into other series.

Ironically, that didn't stop Capcom from plumbing rough ideas and assets from DMC2 and refining them into something worthwhile in subsequent games (Echidna takes so many cues from Jokathglum it's startling and DMC4 faults owe their aesthetic design to DMC2 among numeruos other instances between 3 and 4).

DmC really isn't that far off though from DMC2. Both games only vaguely resemble the source material they stem from. Both games were designed solely with the intent to make the series more accessible with regards to gameplay and difficulty tuning. Both games share the same freaking horrible hitboxes that barely resemble the attack they're allegedly tied to. Both games have ridiculous padding between the meaningful content (Fights) with environments that are much too large for their own good. The enemy design across both games aren't drastically better or worse than the other (At least DMC3's enemies felt polished for how simple they were to make Royal Guard work). Bosses feel equally clumsy in both games.

DmC has a much more refined combat engine which owes so much to DMC2 (Hell, it even has two dedicated dodge buttons!), but DMC2 also has Trish who feels competent and a much stronger soundtrack so it's honestly a toss-up.
#7Dark_EpathyPosted 5/18/2013 8:28:13 PM
I don't agree that you guys can retroactively say that DMC2 is somehow redeemable because it introduced some nifty concepts--concepts that themselves aren't very fleshed out or properly executed in the game itself.

I mean, a bad game is a bad game. Good ideas do not excuse poor execution. DmC has its flaws, but at least it's not as clunky or bland as DMC2 is with its huge reliance on using firearms, impotent combat, and lack of any variety whatsoever in the melee weapons.

I'll give credit where it's due, of course--the atmosphere, music, and character designs are great. But that's about it. And that's not even claiming DMC2 is somehow the worst game ever, but it's not very good at all.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#8Rising_shadowPosted 5/18/2013 8:39:10 PM
There's really nothing to redeem. DMC2 isn't a hideous abomination. It's a bad game that helped refine the series into what it was pre-DmC destruction and very little else. Everything we're seemingly pointing out as positives aren't really positives towards the game itself but rather positives towards the series as a whole. It's a bad game that nearly destroyed a good series but instead helped it rise from the ashes of mediocrity.

DmC has really nothing positive in the least over DMC4. It doesn't have the variety of moves, weapons, the satisfying learning curve, the cheese one liners and dialogues we love to laugh with, the over the top action, the fluidity in motion that is the pure potential DMC4 unleashed.
It strips down the difficulty, the action, casualizes the combat system into boringness, destroys any type of free flow action made possible with one button weapon swapping by adding convoluted stance system that are awkward to use and remove the ability to use ranged weapons. It's seriously annoying having to hold down the trigger buttons just to use these terrible weapons that don't even combo well into another, not to mention the dearth of moves. Coming off the heels of DMC4, this is utterly unforgivable. DMC2 was mediocre as a package but had much less to come from in comparison.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#9ZeroX91Posted 5/18/2013 8:42:58 PM
I don't agree that you guys can retroactively say that DMC2 is somehow redeemable because it introduced some nifty concepts--concepts that themselves aren't very fleshed out or properly executed in the game itself.

I mean, a bad game is a bad game. Good ideas do not excuse poor execution. DmC has its flaws, but at least it's not as clunky or bland as DMC2 is with its huge reliance on using firearms, impotent combat, and lack of any variety whatsoever in the melee weapons.

I'll give credit where it's due, of course--the atmosphere, music, and character designs are great. But that's about it. And that's not even claiming DMC2 is somehow the worst game ever, but it's not very good at all.

Laid the groundwork brah, something I've been saying since 3....also that Lucia is hot. (and it was rush DmC had about 3x the development time. Gameplay shoulda been ahelluva lot better than it was.) It's atmosphere did less for me than 3 (and that's saying a lot, I hated that boring ass tower), character design was better.
---
#10ZeroX91Posted 5/18/2013 8:44:55 PM
DmC has really nothing positive in the least over DMC4.

Could say better environments but that's pretty subjective.
---