It sickens me how people can say this game is WORSE than DMC 2...

#21NostalgiaRulesPosted 5/19/2013 12:33:44 AM
TheOmegaShen posted...
As a newcomer to this franchise, DMC2 was one of the worst games I've ever had to go through and it has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm well aware that this game is **** too, but how can you guys say it's inferior to the worst hack&slash game ever made?

I think, to me anyway, DMC 2 was better because it didn't have so many glitches. DmC really did have a lot of glitches. It wasn't just a few, otherwise, they wouldn't have had to make a patch to fix all the glitches in DmC. And there was really bad PR surrounding DmC, so that didn't help, either. And even DMC 2 had lock-on. I know many pro-DmC supporters have said that no lock-on doesn't bother them, but it does for me.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#22StrelokPosted 5/19/2013 12:47:03 AM
SlaveBlade posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
ZeroX91 posted...
Sounds like your tv friend, the bloom wasn't that bad.
(I'm really gettin' sick of the hyperbole, it's no wonder no one takes us gamers seriously. Can't make a simple statement without some gross exaggeration.)

It isn't hyperbole and I'm not about to completely change my monitor settings for a single game.

That carnival stage is rough because it's straight red lighting. The orange stages are doable, though there's times I find myself holding my breath as I take a swing. Blue stages with ghost-rages are iffy though - Occasionally the phase effect doesn't kick in until after they're done crawling into the play space and you try to whack them with Arbiter only to hit air or you're fighting all the while with Osiris out, see them start to prime a needle bomb and release to shoot the thing only to find out it's a Ghost.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to rely on color coding in lieu of altering a model with a distinct physical characteristic on the model like wings is a moron when the game's limbo effects hinge ridiculously heavy on colored lighting.

/does make me wonder how the red-green and blue-yellow color blind people cope in this game.

You had every opportunity to check if it was a ghost version or not. Going beyond that, there's a number of more accessible ways to handle that situation than letting go of the trigger when you're well aware you're meant to use it.

The problem is that you need to hold down the trigger to begin with.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#23zfair89Posted 5/19/2013 5:30:05 AM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I don't agree that you guys can retroactively say that DMC2 is somehow redeemable because it introduced some nifty concepts--concepts that themselves aren't very fleshed out or properly executed in the game itself.

Yeah, I agree. It's an absurd argument tbh. That DMC3's combat mechanics are there in 2 in an inchoate form does nothing to lessen how rubbish the game was. If DmC2 builds upon DmC and ends up being the best thing ever will people begin a retroactive re-evaluation of DmC? I doubt it.
#24Psychochild27Posted 5/19/2013 6:37:21 AM(edited)
SlaveBlade posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
ZeroX91 posted...
Sounds like your tv friend, the bloom wasn't that bad.
(I'm really gettin' sick of the hyperbole, it's no wonder no one takes us gamers seriously. Can't make a simple statement without some gross exaggeration.)

It isn't hyperbole and I'm not about to completely change my monitor settings for a single game.

That carnival stage is rough because it's straight red lighting. The orange stages are doable, though there's times I find myself holding my breath as I take a swing. Blue stages with ghost-rages are iffy too - Occasionally the phase effect doesn't kick in until after they're done crawling into the play space and you try to whack them with Arbiter only to hit air or you're fighting all the while with Osiris out, see them start to prime a needle bomb and release to shoot the thing only to find out it's a Ghost.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to rely on color coding in lieu of altering a model with a distinct physical characteristic on the model like wings is a moron when the game's limbo effects hinge ridiculously heavy on colored lighting.

/does make me wonder how the red-green and blue-yellow color blind people cope in this game.

You had every opportunity to check if it was a ghost version or not. Going beyond that, there's a number of more accessible ways to handle that situation than letting go of the trigger when you're well aware you're meant to use it.

The fact that you're telling me I have to perform a separate "Check" whether or not the rage is a ghost every time they appear only reinforces my point that a color-swap is an inadequate indicator to distinguish ghost rages from normal ones. Thank you for agreeing with me, it really is profoundly annoying when you prop and then High Time through the little buggers.

I think, to me anyway, DMC 2 was better because it didn't have so many glitches. DmC really did have a lot of glitches. It wasn't just a few, otherwise, they wouldn't have had to make a patch to fix all the glitches in DmC

This too. Experienced my first game-ending glitch in the series ever on DMD Mission 4 where an enemy wave refused to spawn in that persisted across resetting checkpoints. Quality stuff. DMC2 was broken, but it was never actually broken broken.

Yeah, I agree. It's an absurd argument tbh.

DMC2 never really had anything to compare it to before DmC came along. It was such an extreme outlier in so many regards that it was simply the worst and discussion on the matter could end there. Large numbers of people always credited DMC2 for what it ultimately brought and always went on about how it was a TERRIBLE DMC game, but a decent action one.

Now that DMC2 has some competition (People who like the game are constantly labeling it as a terrible DMC game, but a "Solid" action game), it's unfair to dismiss people as claiming they're re-evaluating DMC2 in hindsight, especially since I've seen so many of these points pop up constantly since DMC3's release talking about how DMC2 was influential even if it was horrible.
#25Werndan101Posted 5/19/2013 6:32:56 AM
DMC2 had plenty of redeeming qualities to it. Aesthetically, Dante's SSStylish outfit still hasn't been matched in the series. Lucia's design was pretty nice, and we got Mistral out of that. Rebellion is a series staple, and it got its origins in this game. Dante's personality is fairly in line with other "Cool" heroes of the time, it's just a little out of place when it's compared with the other installments.

Gameplay-wise, can you say that DmC has any boss comparable to The Despair Embodied? Desperation Devil Trigger was an interesting ability with some ramifications about Dante's development since DMC1, which WOULD HAVE been followed up on in DMC4.

It's far more sickening for me to have people give DmC the false credit of being better than DMC2.
---
Need help figuring out components for your gaming PC? Check this.
http://tinyurl.com/falconguide
#26SlaveBladePosted 5/19/2013 7:13:38 AM
The fact that you're telling me I have to perform a separate "Check" whether or not the rage is a ghost every time they appear only reinforces my point that a color-swap is an inadequate indicator to distinguish ghost rages from normal ones. Thank you for agreeing with me, it really is profoundly annoying when you prop and then High Time through the little buggers.

No I didn't agree with you, I did just the opposite really. First time it happens, it sucks, sure. After that, it's up to the player to not suck and do their own work.
---
Interested in a RP about a post apocalyptic future Earth with some Mutant shenanigans? PM me if you wanna join~
#27Psychochild27Posted 5/19/2013 8:50:16 AM(edited)
SlaveBlade posted...

No I didn't agree with you, I did just the opposite really. First time it happens, it sucks, sure. After that, it's up to the player to not suck and do their own work.

Care to verify what you mean by "Do their own work?" Because to me it sounds like "Do their own work" means "Not depend on the coloration of the rage which is supposed to be the key visual characteristic to distinguish one from another and perform extraneous actions (I.E. unnecessary stance changes) to verify what the Hell it is."

Remember, if you have to do anything other than look at it and confirm which one it is at a glance, you're agreeing with me that it isn't enough.
#28Ink-RibbonPosted 5/19/2013 8:51:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#29Dark_EpathyPosted 5/19/2013 9:55:34 AM
Now that DMC2 has some competition (People who like the game are constantly labeling it as a terrible DMC game, but a "Solid" action game), it's unfair to dismiss people as claiming they're re-evaluating DMC2 in hindsight, especially since I've seen so many of these points pop up constantly since DMC3's release talking about how DMC2 was influential even if it was horrible.

I don't disagree that DMC2 introduced features that defined how the series played afterwards, but the game itself, alone, is not somehow better than it actually is just because it was influential. Like that other poster mentioned, if DmC is the new outlier, what happens if there's a game worse than it in the future? Or better? Do we look back and start constructing a new perception of it?

DMC2 just isn't very good--not as a DMC game and not, in my honest opinion, as an action game. It's slow, boring, and uninspired. The innovations it does introduce do not enhance the game itself much at all. The potential in the story and atmosphere is largely wasted. It's not a good effort, especially (and correct me if I'm wrong) if it was also an attempt to cash in on the success of DMC1, eerily similar in that respect to DmC.

Again, I see what you and others are getting at when you say it's influential. But I don't think we should be so quick to start heaping accolades upon it when it's still the same game it's always been.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#30SlaveBladePosted 5/19/2013 10:03:24 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
SlaveBlade posted...

Care to verify what you mean by "Do their own work?" Because to me it sounds like "Do their own work" means "Not depend on the coloration of the rage which is supposed to be the key visual characteristic to distinguish one from another and perform extraneous actions (I.E. unnecessary stance changes) to verify what the Hell it is."

Remember, if you have to do anything other than look at it and confirm which one it is at a glance, you're agreeing with me that it isn't enough.

Would you please stop twisting what I'm saying? I said outright I do not agree with you, that usually means I don't ****ing agree with you. That said, if the player refuses to adapt to the situation regardless of what is happening (aside from completely unfair tactics that cannot be adapted to), it's the player's fault, not the game's.
---
Interested in a RP about a post apocalyptic future Earth with some Mutant shenanigans? PM me if you wanna join~