Why do people want a harder game?

#51AlexxShadenk777Posted 6/19/2013 2:19:01 PM
Vault_Zero posted...
AlexxShadenk777 posted...
Edward_R_Murrow posted...
Given that most people will never actually play the highest difficulty in games, and that since DMC1 and NGB practically no developers put a lot of thought into the design of higher/highest difficulty levels...that might not always be the best idea.

Didn't I begin by saying people DON'T want a harder game? That's right. 'Nuff said.

In which you are wrong as I want a harder game or harder games in general.

An individual isn't the same as the collective. The reality of is: modern videogames are increasingly being made to appeal the casual gamers, or even more concerning, the NON gamers. It's true that hardcore games are still very much successful like Demon's/Dark Souls, but if you pay attention to games in general even badly, they've all been steadily being dumbed down more and more.

Developers seem to think that if players aren't told what to do constantly or being helped in some way to progress or even worse, having the option of skipping entire segments entirely (for example L.A. Noire allow you to skip parts in the game if you failed them many times), they'll stop playing the game and will therefore buy less or some other kind of reasoning.
And I'm not talking about DMC or Capcom in particular either, nearly every single publisher is guilty of such crimes. Even Platinum Games. Their latest game has a very easily exploitable mechanic that allows you to parry everything in the game with basically no effort, all you have to do is keep flicking the analog stick at any time or so. I have no idea if they've patched this already, so do feel free to correct me. But I doubt they've removed the on-screen button prompts, and the ridiculous barrage of QTEs that nobody likes, something that even DmC is devoid of.

The point I'm getting across here is that "people" can refer to either publishers or gamers in general, because releasing games hard and truly challenging is a rarity since the turn of the century, and there isn't a big enough outcry from the gaming community letting developers know we DON'T NEED nor want, dumbed down games. There's a reason I keep playing and caring about older games far more than newer ones, and while DmC had very pretty level design, as a game, it did not hold my interest and I can't tell you the last time I played it because I already sold it away and don't intend on ever touching it.

Now we're nearing a "new generation" of gaming with more consoles, which I will never, ever buy because, not only am I poor, I'm happy replaying old games till the end of time because they will live forever in my heart. The Devil May Cry trilogy is one example. Diablo 2, Resident Evil 3, Metal Gear Solid, and even Sonic Adventure. You can have your DMC4, MGR, Bayonetta, GoW or whatever you prefer all you want, and your popular opinions, and your CUHRAYZEE antics, I think I'm gonna stop coming to this board now because why waste my fingers on typing useless walls of texts when I could be Critical Hitting Sins for hours? Or a number of other equally substancial things.

I'm tapping out. You win. You can even have trophies for participation and everything.
---
PSN: AlexxShadenk777
"DMC1 is the best, DMC4 is the worst. Not changing this signature till DMC1 gets its true sequel." January 17th 2013
#52Vault_ZeroPosted 6/19/2013 2:50:01 PM
Vault_Zero posted...
Edward_R_Murrow posted...
Given that most people will never actually play the highest difficulty in games, and that since DMC1 and NGB practically no developers put a lot of thought into the design of higher/highest difficulty levels...that might not always be the best idea.

Didn't I begin by saying people DON'T want a harder game? That's right. 'Nuff said.

In which you are wrong as I want a harder game or harder games in general.

An individual isn't the same as the collective. The reality of is: modern videogames are increasingly being made to appeal the casual gamers, or even more concerning, the NON gamers. It's true that hardcore games are still very much successful like Demon's/Dark Souls, but if you pay attention to games in general even badly, they've all been steadily being dumbed down more and more.

Developers seem to think that if players aren't told what to do constantly or being helped in some way to progress or even worse, having the option of skipping entire segments entirely (for example L.A. Noire allow you to skip parts in the game if you failed them many times), they'll stop playing the game and will therefore buy less or some other kind of reasoning.
And I'm not talking about DMC or Capcom in particular either, nearly every single publisher is guilty of such crimes. Even Platinum Games. Their latest game has a very easily exploitable mechanic that allows you to parry everything in the game with basically no effort, all you have to do is keep flicking the analog stick at any time or so. I have no idea if they've patched this already, so do feel free to correct me. But I doubt they've removed the on-screen button prompts, and the ridiculous barrage of QTEs that nobody likes, something that even DmC is devoid of.

The point I'm getting across here is that "people" can refer to either publishers or gamers in general, because releasing games hard and truly challenging is a rarity since the turn of the century, and there isn't a big enough outcry from the gaming community letting developers know we DON'T NEED nor want, dumbed down games. There's a reason I keep playing and caring about older games far more than newer ones, and while DmC had very pretty level design, as a game, it did not hold my interest and I can't tell you the last time I played it because I already sold it away and don't intend on ever touching it.

Now we're nearing a "new generation" of gaming with more consoles, which I will never, ever buy because, not only am I poor, I'm happy replaying old games till the end of time because they will live forever in my heart. The Devil May Cry trilogy is one example. Diablo 2, Resident Evil 3, Metal Gear Solid, and even Sonic Adventure. You can have your DMC4, MGR, Bayonetta, GoW or whatever you prefer all you want, and your popular opinions, and your CUHRAYZEE antics, I think I'm gonna stop coming to this board now because why waste my fingers on typing useless walls of texts when I could be Critical Hitting Sins for hours? Or a number of other equally substancial things.

I'm tapping out. You win. You can even have trophies for participation and everything.

Actually. I agree with everything you just said.
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#53QCTeamkillPosted 6/19/2013 3:11:02 PM
Alex, I think that's because you don't fall in any of the two common stereotypes of gamers:

- Old timer who still plays, yet thankful games are easier because he's got his batteries flat when finally some late night gaming time comes.
- Younger gamer who doesn't understand the value of failure and retrying.

I have a feeling those "hard" games are prehistoric remnants of the token gobblers in arcades.

Doing the math: "I should just get myself a NES and save on the long run. It has Contra."
Then there were no need anymore for the ultimate imperative: "Insert coin(s) to continue"