Why did the press piss all over DMC4 and yet...

#31Psychochild27Posted 6/24/2013 10:00:26 AM(edited)
OracleGunner posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
OracleGunner posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...
Because DMC 4 backtrack are the laziest thing I ever seen big developer like Capcom made, they literally replaying half the chapters. While DMC 1 and 3 has backtrack it was acceptable, because the back track is more like Resident Evil type of back track. Each chapter you got keys to unlock new doors to new location as well, so its not that bad as some people trying to stir it up to defend the crappiness of DMC 4.

You do know that they had to rush it and its development time got cut in half right?

Even then, it's not at all more offensive than DMC3.

Honestly I never found backtracking to be bad. I suppose that Castlevania, Metroid and other games spoiled me in that regard.

People will argue regardless. I found it fine in DMC1 as it was much more subtle in its backtracking and stumbling across what changed and what didn't to be very interesting. It almost channels something of a horror vibe where you find out OH NO, THE HOUSE IS ALIVE AND IT'S USING ITS CUNNING MALEVOLENCE TO DICK WITH YOU SOMETHING FIERCE.

DMC3, it's just... bleh. There's no real sinister implications between the new and old tower other than the fact that Cerberus' ice room at the base of the tower was replaced with Geryon's Colliseum after it transforms and it's at stretch in the game where Dante's unlocked all his toys with exception of the Kalina Ann, so you've probably already found a set-up you're comfortable with and you're just working your way through the tower, whatever.

DMC4 is honestly no better or no worse. The thing that saves it is that unlike DMC3, with DMC4 you're getting a new game-changing toy every mission (With exception of M14 and M18 which is a boss fight anyway) and you have a drastically different character to explore in the first place.

If DMC3 made chapters 10 and 12 address the Lady story arc, then abandon Dante as he starts climbing up the tower a third freaking time to jump over to Vergil's ascent out of the abyss and take the opportunity to truly develop his character, MAN that would've been phenomenal and elevated DMC3 to a whole new height in my mind. As it stands right now in reality though? They're neck-and-neck with DMC4 being more interesting for Dante's inclusion.
#32NessaJ_TuNPosted 6/24/2013 10:05:10 AM(edited)
Psychochild27 posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...
Because DMC 4 backtrack are the laziest thing I ever seen big developer like Capcom made, they literally replaying half the chapters. While DMC 1 and 3 has backtrack it was acceptable, because the back track is more like Resident Evil type of back track. Each chapter you got keys to unlock new doors to new location as well, so its not that bad as some people trying to stir it up to defend the crappiness of DMC 4.

lolwut?

DMC3 from missions 9 to 12, a four mission stretch is back-to-back missions where you are literally doubling back the way you came with no additional content added on the way which sees even more life from 14-17 jumbled haphazardly with other elements.

Meanwhile, Dante has 12, 14, 16 and 17 - Four missions which are straight backtracking and somehow it's even worse than missions 9, 10, 11 and 12? Mission 13's portals aren't all that different from the Tenen-ni-gru after all, it's just a bunch of rooms patched together haphazardly through portals which aren't immediately apparent. 15 meanwhile, half the stage is locked off and you need to find the "Key" (Read: Kill Bael) to dispel the magic much like the RE fashion you praise (See: Plant 42 if memory serves).

Heck, both games actually stop showing new environments until the 18-20 stretch at around roughly the same point (Mission 11 for Nero, Mission 13 in DMC3 but again, it has its two straight backtracking missions immediately before it).

So again. How is it more offensive than DMC3, pound for pound?

Lol no, DMC 3 has the first castle(start on Dante's bar), then go to giant monster mouth, then go to another new castle and lastly the last few chapters go to another dimension/hell gate, not to mention all of the bosses are more varied as well. DMC 4 is "literally" replaying the same stage over and over again, same place, same layout, lazy game development by big publisher ever. You can't seriously comparing DMC 3 back track to DMC 4 that just the most dumb thing ever.
#33OracleGunnerPosted 6/24/2013 10:02:43 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
OracleGunner posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
OracleGunner posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...

You do know that they had to rush it and its development time got cut in half right?

Even then, it's not at all more offensive than DMC3.

Honestly I never found backtracking to be bad. I suppose that Castlevania, Metroid and other games spoiled me in that regard.

People will argue regardless. I found it fine in DMC1 as it was much more subtle in its backtracking and stumbling across what changed and what didn't to be very interesting. It almost channels something of a horror vibe where you find out OH NO, THE HOUSE IS ALIVE AND IT'S USING ITS CUNNING MALEVOLENCE TO DICK WITH YOU SOMETHING FIERCE.

DMC3, it's just... bleh. There's no real sinister implications between the new and old tower other than the fact that Cerberus' ice room at the base of the tower was replaced with Geryon's Colliseum after it transforms and it's at stretch in the game where Dante's unlocked all his toys with exception of the Kalina Ann, so you've probably already found a set-up you're comfortable with and you're just working your way through the tower, whatever.

DMC4 is honestly no better or no worse. The thing that saves it is that unlike DMC3, with DMC4 you're getting a new game-changing toy every mission (With exception of M14 and M18 which is a boss fight anyway) and you have a drastically different character to explore in the first place.

If DMC3 made chapters 10 and 12 address the Lady story arc, then abandon Dante as he starts climbing up the tower a third freaking time to jump over to Vergil's ascent out of the abyss and take the opportunity to truly develop his character, MAN that would've been phenomenal and elevated DMC3 to a whole new height in my mind. As it stands right now in reality though? They're neck-and-neck with DMC4 being more interesting for Dante's inclusion.

Good points. Though in part I'm happy that they did not expand too much Lady's character because of Capcom's way of expanding characters. Still missed opportunities.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse.
PM me if you get from where is my sig. People who got it:1
#34NessaJ_TuNPosted 6/24/2013 10:07:50 AM
OracleGunner posted...

Good points. Though in part I'm happy that they did not expand too much Lady's character because of Capcom's way of expanding characters. Still missed opportunities.

Maybe variety is the key word here, chapters are just numbers. DMC 4 in that regard is horrible, you start in the same place, ended up in the same place, the environment/location is still the same, they literally let you play Dante in Nero's level, if that's lazy, I don't know what else.
#35OracleGunnerPosted 6/24/2013 10:09:42 AM
NessaJ_TuN posted...
OracleGunner posted...

Maybe variety is the key word here, chapters are just numbers. DMC 4 in that regard is horrible, you start in the same place, ended up in the same place, the environment/location is still the same, they literally let you play Dante in Nero's level, if that's lazy, I don't know what else.

Development time cut in half, no budget. If that doesn't explain it to you I don't know what will.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse.
#365hadowsPosted 6/24/2013 10:12:01 AM
OracleGunner posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...
OracleGunner posted...

Development time cut in half, no budget. If that doesn't explain it to you I don't know what will.

I never understood why Capcom did what they do, had the game got more polishing it could have shaped up to be the best game HnS has to offer in this generation.
---
Ill add something here later....
#37OracleGunnerPosted 6/24/2013 10:15:47 AM
5hadows posted...
OracleGunner posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...
OracleGunner posted...

I never understood why Capcom did what they do, had the game got more polishing it could have shaped up to be the best game HnS has to offer in this generation.

They wanted more money. But now they seem allergic to money, I mean DmC and cancelling various Megaman games. Still Sakurai is giving me MM in smash and PXZ is giving me X&Zero back.
---
#38Psychochild27Posted 6/24/2013 10:30:34 AM(edited)
NessaJ_TuN posted...
Psychochild27 posted...
NessaJ_TuN posted...

lolwut?

DMC3 from missions 9 to 12, a four mission stretch is back-to-back missions where you are literally doubling back the way you came with no additional content added on the way which sees even more life from 14-17 jumbled haphazardly with other elements.

Meanwhile, Dante has 12, 14, 16 and 17 - Four missions which are straight backtracking and somehow it's even worse than missions 9, 10, 11 and 12? Mission 13's portals aren't all that different from the Tenen-ni-gru after all, it's just a bunch of rooms patched together haphazardly through portals which aren't immediately apparent. 15 meanwhile, half the stage is locked off and you need to find the "Key" (Read: Kill Bael) to dispel the magic much like the RE fashion you praise (See: Plant 42 if memory serves).

Heck, both games actually stop showing new environments until the 18-20 stretch at around roughly the same point (Mission 11 for Nero, Mission 13 in DMC3 but again, it has its two straight backtracking missions immediately before it).

So again. How is it more offensive than DMC3, pound for pound?

Lol no, DMC 3 has the first castle(start on Dante's bar), then go to giant monster mouth, then go to another new castle and lastly the last few chapters go to another dimension/hell gate, not to mention all of the bosses are more varied as well. DMC 4 is "literally" replaying the same stage over and over again, same place, same layout, lazy game development by big publisher ever. You can't seriously comparing DMC 3 back track to DMC 4 that just the most dumb thing ever.

Good to know you're not worth my time.

They didn't need to really expand it, just move her story arc up a few missions and resolve it at M13 with her handing off the Kalina Ann to him after that. Dante's character development comes to a grinding halt until Mission 16 as it is when he and Lady meet up again anyway and doesn't really go anywhere significant again until he encounters Arkham.

Meanwhile, most of Dante's other cutscenes can stay with exception of M15 which serves solely to introduce the Fallen if memory serves if only to help track Dante's progress separate from Vergil.
#39NessaJ_TuNPosted 6/24/2013 10:48:42 AM
@psycho
Good to know you don't have come back regarding level variety. You are not worth my time either, typical antis as always.
#405hadowsPosted 6/24/2013 10:57:04 AM
NessaJ_TuN posted...
@psycho
Good to know you don't have come back regarding level variety. You are not worth my time either, typical antis as always.

He doesn't need to type comebacks when you didn't disprove any of his points.
---
Ill add something here later....