Should i bother with the game?

#31QCTeamkillPosted 6/21/2013 2:55:55 AM
Just play it already. It's quite entertaining and cool air combos are easy to master.

The "general cosensus" is that weeboos have been blindly hating the game 2 years before it was even released.

MGR has the problem that the rating system won't let you chew enemies around with chaining cool combos. If you let some fights drag more than mere seconds you'll miss the target time.
#32Psychochild27Posted 6/21/2013 5:35:29 AM(edited)

I'm just a little stunned by all the hate really. I thought it was agreed that DmC was a decently made game but the new Donte and his "personality" is what brought the game down.

The game is only decent so long as you don't really push the combat, you ignore the franchise that came before it (Which is stupid in itself if you have to make concessions to justify why a new product is leagues worse than the others) and the game doesn't ask much of you.

Once you start trying to do proper DMC style shenanigans, you try to work more positioning/trickster style nonsense into your combos, rapid target switching or they start constantly throwing "Elite" mobs into the mix on every freaking enemy wave, the entire experience falls apart because it's simply not up for the task. Even the act of jump cancelling a air dash against an enemy will frequently make Dante stop animating and hang in the air because the game doesn't know what to do next while in DMC3 and DMC4, this was useful to reset your aerial actions and in DMC4 gain aerial momentum so you can cross over baddies with Rain Storm or what have you, an intended system in the game.

It's almost if DmC was designed solely from watching combo videos of DMC3 on Youtube and dicking around with DMC4 for an afternoon with little regard for anything beyond sitting in an enemy's face doing air combos.

So yes. It's a decent action game if you are not willing to explore the game mechanics any further than what they present on the surface. This is awful because DMC3 and DMC4's massive appeal WAS exploring the combat to make those big spectacular combo videos.

MGR has the problem that the rating system won't let you chew enemies around with chaining cool combos. If you let some fights drag more than mere seconds you'll miss the target time.

It's the exact same rating system as Bayonetta, Wonderful 101 or Viewtiful Joe. Even DMC1 had very tight time requirements (Particularly on higher difficulties). It's not exclusive to MGR:R, it's a Hideki Kamiya thing across the board and you should go in expecting that sort of thing.

Then again, you probably prefer the fundamentally broken rating system where the hardest thing to SSS is finding all the collectibles in a mission. The fundamentally broken rating system that is completely cheesed by a simple dodge mechanic. The fundamentally broken rating system that allows you to easily SSS even if you accumulate... I don't know, 147 deaths. Somehow. By falling through the world at random.

That's a good system right there. Don't need to meet no high standards, no sir!
#33RukumouruPosted 6/21/2013 6:30:50 AM
At first I believed DmC to be superior than MGR, and that both were fundamentally mediocre games. I was wrong.

I went into Metal Gear Rising with the wrong mindset: The mindset that MGR is a "combo-creation" tipe of game in the vein of Devil May Cry. It's not. Bayonetta, if anything, is Platinum Games' entry into that particular race.

Metal Gear Rising is perhaps more akin to what fighting games are, or even a spiritual successor to what made God Hand amazing, even if they're not very similar in terms of gameplay:

Metal Gear Rising is a tight action game that, the closer it is to kicking your ass, the better it feels. The lower leeway you have, the more "in the zone" you need to be to parry and dodge all the enemy attacks while still laying down waste, the better it feels.

You will experience the pinncle of Metal Gear Rising whenever you find yourself in one of these "in-the-zone" situations, and one of these ALONE is better than the entirety of DmC.
#34QCTeamkillPosted 6/21/2013 6:50:26 AM
Psychochild27 posted...

Then again, you probably prefer the fundamentally broken rating system where the hardest thing to SSS is finding all the collectibles in a mission. The fundamentally broken rating system that is completely cheesed by a simple dodge mechanic. The fundamentally broken rating system that allows you to easily SSS even if you accumulate... I don't know, 147 deaths. Somehow. By falling through the world at random.

I've brought this up before but I'll just say it again, you guys who played DmC seemed to have sticked to Demon Dodge and Arbiter Smash all game long.

It's the equivalent to doing all of Bayonetta with PKP or the even better "Kilgore Glitch".

It's the equivalent to doing all of Revengence with infinite ripper mode wig.

I did SSS every missions in DmC and so I did S rank every missions in MGR on revengeance and so I did platinum rank Bayonetta without using none of that.

DmC: 147 deaths impact your final rating by 30%, which is the maximum.
MGR: 147 restarts won't impact your final rating one bit.

Anyway, I won't bother arguing over using Demon Dodge, and the rating system, it's not the point.

The point is as much as I'd even liked the "new and tasty" things in MGR, I couldn't goof around in Blade Mode as I liked because target time kept running, and Zandatsu while fun and flashy doesn't stop it either.

Oh, and then there's this midly expanded combo system with dodge cancel and all, but it turns out the highest DPS is from spamming forward + square, nice balance there Platinum.
#35hoagie727Posted 6/21/2013 7:34:44 AM
TeamKill,

You know they just nitpick because NT hurt their feelings.

No need to go in depth.

DMC is not horrible, it isn't the best either.

Bottom line is the old games set the bar very high and it is hard for people to match that again unless they put a super team back together.

H & S games don't sell well enough to justify doing that.

People just need to get over the reality that DMC 3 won't be matched and combat in DMC 4 won't be matched, unless we get extremely lucky.
#36OracleGunnerPosted 6/21/2013 8:09:46 AM
QCTeamkill posted...
Psychochild27 posted...

I've brought this up before but I'll just say it again, you guys who played DmC seemed to have sticked to Demon Dodge and Arbiter Smash all game long.

It's the equivalent to doing all of Bayonetta with PKP or the even better "Kilgore Glitch".

It's the equivalent to doing all of Revengence with infinite ripper mode wig.

I did SSS every missions in DmC and so I did S rank every missions in MGR on revengeance and so I did platinum rank Bayonetta without using none of that.

DmC: 147 deaths impact your final rating by 30%, which is the maximum.
MGR: 147 restarts won't impact your final rating one bit.

Anyway, I won't bother arguing over using Demon Dodge, and the rating system, it's not the point.

The point is as much as I'd even liked the "new and tasty" things in MGR, I couldn't goof around in Blade Mode as I liked because target time kept running, and Zandatsu while fun and flashy doesn't stop it either.

Oh, and then there's this midly expanded combo system with dodge cancel and all, but it turns out the highest DPS is from spamming forward + square, nice balance there Platinum.

So QC is butthurt over blade mode not being a complete stop time experience. Lol. I call BS on the 147 restarts by death thing it does affect your score. An S rank gets turned into a b rank and DmC ranking system isn't about style it's about gathering useless stuff around the stage and obligatory side missions. Also the wig takes passing the game to use so it's a bad comparison, killgore takes knowledge of the exploit and pkp is probably the only one that is right. Still doesnt excuse how badly designed the combat is and how broken the ranking system is. Stop defending bad design.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse.
PM me if you get from where is my sig. People who got it:1
#37Pimps1678Posted 6/21/2013 8:22:47 AM
QCTeamkill posted...

- So you mean you like DmC's Dante trigger which turn out auto-win mode! If target stand still like DmC Dante's trigger, aim to cut function in blade mode'll become pointless, just like how Dante trigger make an easy game like DmC even more easier.
- Your point remind me of MGR reviewer who cant even make a properly parry so they said that game is bad, quite laughable!
#38Psychochild27Posted 6/21/2013 8:55:35 AM(edited)
http://i.imgur.com/snJC8ZG.jpg

The only thing stopping him was his completion score. 30% penalty isn't nearly enough for how much Demon Dodge inflates a player's style points.

No, I just played the game normal-like like I did with DMC4 and DMC3, only using Demon Dodge in place of normal dashes and rolls while comboing and then following back up with a zoning move or the angel dodge to get back to where I was which was more than enough to secure ridiculously easy scores. You make it sound like I had to sit and bait out these attacks when the reality is the timing is as lenient as activating Witch Dodge in Bayonetta.

You can pure Platinum Bayonetta easily with PKP?

Furthermore, are you seriously comparing a base game mechanic which the developers should have realized very early on would skewer ranking requirements hard and rebalance requirements to account for access to that ability to a non-intended glitch? You're grasping. This is something that would have come up if they did any real play testing (It was something that was even painfully obvious in the demo) but they didn't care. Getting SSS is fun! Earning it? Pfffft. That's not fun at all.

I'd argue that's one of the biggest flaws of DmC, DMC3 and DMC4's rating systems that needs to be addressed (Second to the redundancy of orbs and style points which DmC sort-of-corrected and made sort-of-worse with the collectibles). Time is largely irrelevant in those games - Only on DMD in DMC3 is time ever really a factor to sweat.

Ranking systems should demand a high level of understanding of the core game mechanics and enemy design paired with the execution to meet difficult criteria. It should be something you consciously have to strive for to attain. A ranking system that gives you a A+++ for sort of dicking around and experimenting with game mechanics or whatever is a poor rating system.

Metal Gear Rising is perhaps more akin to what fighting games are, or even a spiritual successor to what made God Hand amazing, even if they're not very similar in terms of gameplay:

It's an action game which prioritizes efficiency and gives you a number of combo tools if that's your jam. Reminds me of what little I played of Omnimusha and the original DMC than the combo spectacles that DMC3/4/Bayonetta turned into.
#39NostalgiaRulesPosted 6/21/2013 9:04:27 AM
sbn4 posted...
Well, I've never played the game, but since you already bought it, you can play it and decide for yourself. Will you get a refund even if you open the game?

Great thing is I bought it used. Gamestop has that seven day policy. Yeah, I know most will just say try it out. But as I said, I just don't like to waste the time for a game that might not be worthwhile. Based on what has been said here, it doesn't sound good. Its rare that a board dedicated to the game itself has such a resounding amount of negative response (excluding DMC2 of course).

I only picked this up over MGR because I have a much more intimate history with DMC than MGS honestly.

Hmm...well, I know you don't want to waste your time on it, but this is one of those things that you may have to try for yourself. Maybe just play it for an hour or two and see if it's to your liking. There have been many reason why people have disliked this new DmC. The PR by the company that made it was pretty bad. Aside from that, the creator of DmC, Tameem, was rather rude to someone on Twitter when they politely asked him if a few things in the game can be fixed. Tameem responded by saying, "there's no fix for facepalming until your face bleeds. lol" The PR was awful and NT (Ninja Theory) has been sticking their finger in the eye of original DMC fans for awhile now. People are tired of it. Lock-on was also removed from DmC, so there's lots of reasons why people aren't fond of DmC.

Tameem also said that, "there's nothing to fix" in regards to DmC, but it has tons of glitches. Maybe you might run into some, maybe you won't. The only way to find out is to play the game. Hopefully you won't run into any.

And to QC, it's not right to just casually call people weaboos. A weaboo is someone who thinks they know everything about Japan and the Japanese culture, when they are actually clueless. Someone who likes anime, manga and collects anime memorabilia doesn't make them a weaboo.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#40RetsuxDPosted 6/21/2013 9:06:35 AM
For the record, weeaboo is actually wordfilter for wapanese/wanna-be-japanese.

For god's sake I'm sick of everyone using the term wrong.

Japanese games can't be weeaboo games simply by virtue of already being japanese.