Faults with the game.

#1FrostDancer289Posted 7/1/2013 2:37:39 PM
Okay, I just wanted to ask. What are the faults with this game in general? I know things like the lower FPS, characters being shallow, movesets being nothing more than flair, no real depth because of the shallow movesets (Unless I' wrong on that and correct me if I am), the story having problems with the flow, lack of good character motivations for things to happen, plot holes in the story itself and things like that.

I know I'm missing a lot more and that what I have is nothing more than a general list without any explanations on just why these hurt the game so much. So may I ask if you guys could fill in the blanks on this or point to a source that mentions all this in depth and more stuff that I missed? I would be grateful if ya did and thanks a lot. ^_^
---
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes
#2Psychochild27Posted 7/1/2013 2:56:13 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605600-dmc-devil-may-cry?search=hate
#3darkslayer001Posted 7/1/2013 2:58:17 PM
The info provided is just the tip of the iceberg, obviously it would take forever to explain each point so I suggest you read previous threads or watch YT vid reviews that go indepth.

- 30fps clunky combat and sometimes drops as far as 10-20fps in PS3
- no lock-on = less moves and force adapt to auto-lock with no prioritizing
- combat heavily diluted and streamlined (very less options at given time)
- huge frames involved in animations, essentially slowing things down and limiting combat potential
- platforming turned to sequential button presses rather than timed.
- poor design in AI
- color coded enemies
- uninspired and terrible boss battles, some being carbon copies of each other (Mondus - Poison)
- cutscene galore, with constant interruption mid-boss battles and fights
- dated use of Unreal Engine, hurting graphics and mechanics
- reduced skill ceiling and options from predecessors
- far more exploitable combat than the predecessor (Demon Dodge, Aquila)
- diluted difficulty (including higher difficulties), removing the learning curve
and making the game obsolete in the long run
- filler content: no activity and running down hallways resulting in too much dragging
- uninspired Devil Trigger further obstructs gameplay with the lack of lock-on and removes challenge in the game

- poor enemy design (except for a couple)
- initial color rich environment grows stale, switch of engine reduces sharpness
- style and chapter ranking made useless
- generic story riddled with unnecessary social commentary
- terrible writing
- unoriginal and forgettable characters
- mixed reaction on the music, overall fits the game but by itself is bad
- facial capture of characters are lazy, mostly involving blank stares
- frequent glictches although some of them are fixed
- gravity physics leading to challenge of staying on ground rather than air
- inconsistent and unlikable protagonist
- reuse of previous codes
- game not polished at all

- horrible PR, alienating most of the established fanbase
- no respect for source material
- prolonged development cycle
#4FrostDancer289(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2013 3:07:42 PM
Hmm. I see. That is a lot of stuff that I missed. Thanks a lot guys. ^_^
---
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes
#5rice_noodlesPosted 7/1/2013 3:52:29 PM
- initial color rich environment grows stale, switch of engine reduces sharpness

More like oversaturated blue and orange.

And to add to the list:
- falls short on promise of making the game feel like 60 fps (even if running at that on the PC)
- falls short on promise of making the game feel like a proper DMC when you have the controller in your hand
- falls short on promise of competing squarely with Bayonetta in terms of control
- falls short on promise of being the first game to deliver storytelling that rivals the best of film and theatre
- falls short on promise of explaining why Dante's hair color is like that, after calling out the Japanese on not explaining their designs
- falls short on promise that DmC Dante would become more like original Dante at the end of the game

- Vergil's combat practically makes for a Dynasty Warrior/Basara game with insanely huge AOE that are fast, non-committed, and has no recovery frame
- Vergil's Downfall was basically Bleach
#6Nick_KazamaPosted 7/1/2013 6:39:23 PM
darkslayer001 posted...
The info provided is just the tip of the iceberg, obviously it would take forever to explain each point so I suggest you read previous threads or watch YT vid reviews that go indepth.

- 30fps clunky combat and sometimes drops as far as 10-20fps in PS3
- no lock-on = less moves and force adapt to auto-lock with no prioritizing
- combat heavily diluted and streamlined (very less options at given time)
- huge frames involved in animations, essentially slowing things down and limiting combat potential
- platforming turned to sequential button presses rather than timed.
- poor design in AI
- color coded enemies
- uninspired and terrible boss battles, some being carbon copies of each other (Mondus - Poison)
- cutscene galore, with constant interruption mid-boss battles and fights
- dated use of Unreal Engine, hurting graphics and mechanics
- reduced skill ceiling and options from predecessors
- far more exploitable combat than the predecessor (Demon Dodge, Aquila)
- diluted difficulty (including higher difficulties), removing the learning curve
and making the game obsolete in the long run
- filler content: no activity and running down hallways resulting in too much dragging
- uninspired Devil Trigger further obstructs gameplay with the lack of lock-on and removes challenge in the game

- poor enemy design (except for a couple)
- style and chapter ranking made useless
- generic story riddled with unnecessary social commentary
- terrible writing
- unoriginal and forgettable characters
- mixed reaction on the music, overall fits the game but by itself is bad
- facial capture of characters are lazy, mostly involving blank stares
- frequent glictches although some of them are fixed
- gravity physics leading to challenge of staying on ground rather than air
- inconsistent and unlikable protagonist
- reuse of previous codes
- game not polished at all

- horrible PR, alienating most of the established fanbase
- no respect for source material
- prolonged development cycle

We're done ladies and gentlemen, this guy wins the internet.
---
My harem -
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/NIck_Kazama/bunnyharuhi.jpg
#7Dark_EpathyPosted 7/1/2013 6:40:25 PM
Oh my God. Here's a condensed view from someone whom actually likes and enjoys the game.

- The combat is indeed shallower than the previous entries. It's still fun, though. Crazy, I know.

- Some of the storytelling and writing is juvenile, but a surprising amount of it isn't at all.

- The bosses are pretty bad, but they're visually interesting.

- The game could be longer.

- The story could be further and better developed.

I'm not saying all of those little things wrong with the combat aren't there, but those are the issues of the technical player. If you just want the general gist of flaws, there you have it.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#8syctheweilderPosted 7/1/2013 6:43:37 PM
No Lock On in a hack n slash in 2013 is hardly a "little thing".
#9caffiend7Posted 7/1/2013 7:00:01 PM
I can't wait for inkstar to try and say how the above is wrong and this game is a masterpiece. *drinks a supersize chocolate shake*
#10darkslayer001Posted 7/1/2013 7:30:52 PM(edited)
FrostDancer289 posted...
Hmm. I see. That is a lot of stuff that I missed. Thanks a lot guys. ^_^

keep in mind this game is mediocre at best and is a fun HnS game. I know the list i made makes it sound like the game is garbage (which to many including myself it is) but the game is quite accessible and there are few hours of fun to be had, after that this game is most likely to be traded in... as a DMC game 3/10 but as a HnS game 6.5/10