Faults with the game.

#41darkslayer001Posted 7/2/2013 9:53:06 PM(edited)
rice_noodles posted...
Even if you ignore God of War's lack of lock on, Ninja Gaiden did it just fine. The lack of a lock on isn't the problem, it's the execution.

I actually agree.

lack of lock on is very detrimental to DmC, since it is supposed to follow up DMC and stick close to its DNA, which it doesn't by any means. Lock on is pretty integral for a combo variety based game such as DMC. God of War is just a HnS/Smasher/Beat em up type game where most plays it for the large scale battle and graphics rather than the combat engine. I have thoroughly enjoyed past God of war games because of its lore and epic boss battles and not for its combat.

Since DmC is brought down to God of War levels, which was inspired by DMC, it is really going backwards. DmC didn't even have the charm or aesthetic that went with GOW. Still can't believe DMC1, which came out 12yrs ago has many combat elements better than DmC. They really tried to make it close to God of War than DMC and the game has a lot more common with GOW, which is really sad and stupid when you think about it. NT really didn't fit the resume for making a devil may cry game.
#42StrelokPosted 7/2/2013 10:04:43 PM
Any game period, as both their other current gen games are pretty damned mediocre to bad, with all kinds of bad bugs and glitches.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#43rice_noodlesPosted 7/2/2013 10:58:43 PM
The hilarious thing about it is that, it was as if Ninja Theory consciously tried to highlight the lock-on system's shortcoming with their choice of enemy placements.
#44SBK91Posted 7/3/2013 10:26:28 AM
rice_noodles posted...
And the fact remains, that you are trying to use something that isn't an amazing combat simulator, as an example to defend DmC's combat design choice.

Jaffe is an idiot who hasn't had any input on GoW since 1. GoWII does a lot of things better than Bayonetta or DMC, even if it's not quite as good overall.
#45syctheweilderPosted 7/3/2013 11:39:48 AM
SBK91 posted...
rice_noodles posted...
And the fact remains, that you are trying to use something that isn't an amazing combat simulator, as an example to defend DmC's combat design choice.

Jaffe is an idiot who hasn't had any input on GoW since 1. GoWII does a lot of things better than Bayonetta or DMC, even if it's not quite as good overall.

Hysterical.
#46DarkSlayer487Posted 7/3/2013 3:54:10 PM
darkslayer001 posted...
The info provided is just the tip of the iceberg, obviously it would take forever to explain each point so I suggest you read previous threads or watch YT vid reviews that go indepth.

- 30fps clunky combat and sometimes drops as far as 10-20fps in PS3
- no lock-on = less moves and force adapt to auto-lock with no prioritizing
- combat heavily diluted and streamlined (very less options at given time)
- huge frames involved in animations, essentially slowing things down and limiting combat potential
- platforming turned to sequential button presses rather than timed.
- poor design in AI
- color coded enemies
- uninspired and terrible boss battles, some being carbon copies of each other (Mondus - Poison)
- cutscene galore, with constant interruption mid-boss battles and fights
- dated use of Unreal Engine, hurting graphics and mechanics
- reduced skill ceiling and options from predecessors
- far more exploitable combat than the predecessor (Demon Dodge, Aquila)
- diluted difficulty (including higher difficulties), removing the learning curve
and making the game obsolete in the long run
- filler content: no activity and running down hallways resulting in too much dragging
- uninspired Devil Trigger further obstructs gameplay with the lack of lock-on and removes challenge in the game

- poor enemy design (except for a couple)
- initial color rich environment grows stale, switch of engine reduces sharpness
- style and chapter ranking made useless
- generic story riddled with unnecessary social commentary
- terrible writing
- unoriginal and forgettable characters
- mixed reaction on the music, overall fits the game but by itself is bad
- facial capture of characters are lazy, mostly involving blank stares
- frequent glictches although some of them are fixed
- gravity physics leading to challenge of staying on ground rather than air
- inconsistent and unlikable protagonist
- reuse of previous codes
- game not polished at all

- horrible PR, alienating most of the established fanbase
- no respect for source material
- prolonged development cycle

These I feel are the absolute most important. Especially the no respect and forgettable characters bit.

What they did to Dante and Vergil was the sole reason I decided from the very get-go to boycott this trash game. Everything else was just piling more reasons on.
---
Proud owner of a LS1 powered Ram Air Trans Am
http://i.imgur.com/yIEz9gc.jpg
#47jjp7123Posted 7/6/2013 8:31:14 AM
Watch this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-gEthxX2w
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc
#48darkslayer001Posted 7/6/2013 6:36:41 PM
SBK91 posted...
rice_noodles posted...

a lot of things? care to share some of your thoughts?