Chronicling my journey through limbo.

#1HyperProtomanXPosted 7/4/2013 11:13:39 AM
"Hyper, what the hell are you doing?"

I'm facing my demons. I'm putting this thing to bed. I'm playing it so I can move on.

Some of you may remember me as a hater of this game. I've found that, sad as it is, I can't leave this train wreck behind, so I'm playing it now and experiencing the horrors first hand, and decided to report my honest thoughts.

Some backstory: I've played all the old DMC games. I loved the first one, thought the second was incredibly mediocre and dull, loved the third again, and enjoyed the fourth. I haven't played any Ninja Theory games before.

When this game was announced, I was disappointed at how it looked like as a DMC game, but I thought it might be good in its own right. Story of a troubled youth avenging his mother with some social commentary on the side? Sounded good to me, even if the gameplay wouldn't be as good as before.

Then more trailers and interviews appeared. Gameplay was worse than thought. Writing really sucked. It became increasingly clear that I would hate the game. And so here we are.

It's all an opinion of course. Everyone is allowed to comment, manners are encouraged.

Off to Limbo City I go...

So we're in limbo already, sort of, because the intro almost reaches Alone in the Dark movie opening scroll levels of boredom. Clumsy dialogue from MINO and Lilith, DINO getting drunk and picking up strippers, constant cuts to credits rather than just putting the credits into the cutscene. So much for the old action-filled intros, and if I didn't already hate DINO, I would've after this.

And then DINO wakes up with a hangover, Kat shows up at the door, and he's not smart enough to put on some damn clothes, followed by Austin Powers humor and stupid lines.

DINO: *getting Rebellion* "Time for a little Rebellion."
Me: *facepalm*

I've got to say, this game is ugly. It's just ugly.

I proceed through enemies, which isn't too exciting, until I finally meet and defeat the creatively named Hunter. What the hell is this thing, an ogre with a knife and a grapple gun? Not only is it not a very interesting fight, this sort of creatures show up in fanfiction.

And then DINO and Kat drive off to meet VINO.

Anything I liked? Well, there was this huge doll in an electric chair that got, well, electrocuted. It was just a moment and didn't have anything to do with anything, but it looked kinda cool.

To be continued.
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#2ufaraPosted 7/4/2013 11:43:49 AM
This is a cool idea and i will probably read more of it. Do you have a way of doing a let's play of it? Just curious.

And as a sugestion to not see the thread get derailed hard, perhaps just use nDante, nVergil, and nMundus. Not nessesary, but it helps prevent panties from getting into bunches.
---
"SHABOOOWIE!!" - Genie -ducktales the movie
#3smithkakarotPosted 7/4/2013 11:49:31 AM
HyperProtomanX posted...
Anything I liked? Well, there was this huge doll in an electric chair that got, well, electrocuted. It was just a moment and didn't have anything to do with anything, but it looked kinda cool.

Sounds like something you might see in one of the Batman: Arkham games...
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#4KyryloPosted 7/4/2013 12:05:27 PM
nice beginning. I imagine thousands teary pros running here with complains!
#5QCTeamkillPosted 7/4/2013 12:06:31 PM
I skipped the preface, then stopped reading at MINO.
#65hadowsPosted 7/4/2013 12:07:00 PM
Kyrylo posted...

QCTeamkill posted...

---
Ill add something here later....
#7QCTeamkillPosted 7/4/2013 12:09:23 PM
5hadows posted...
Kyrylo posted...

QCTeamkill posted...

The guys is afraid to call a cat a cat. Why bother reading what a coward thinks of this game?
#8ufaraPosted 7/4/2013 12:14:01 PM
QCTeamkill posted...
5hadows posted...
Kyrylo posted...

QCTeamkill posted...

The guys is afraid to call a cat a cat. Why bother reading what a coward thinks of this game?

What kind of cat are we talking about? As far as I'm aware, there are many different types of cats in the world and come distintion is good for the mind.
---
#9HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 12:17:37 PM
ufara posted...
This is a cool idea and i will probably read more of it. Do you have a way of doing a let's play of it? Just curious.

Thank you, and no, I do not. I have no experience whatsoever at doing, and not much in watching let's plays, I don't think I'd even have the equipment necessary (I don't even have access to a camera at the moment). Furthermore, I personally don't really like let's plays. I barely have enough time to play myself, so I don't really understand people who have time to watch others play, and only watch them when it's a game I want to see but can't play for whatever reason.

And as a sugestion to not see the thread get derailed hard, perhaps just use nDante, nVergil, and nMundus. Not nessesary, but it helps prevent panties from getting into bunches.

I know it's a problem for some. To them, I suggest just not reading if it really is that big an issue. Nicknames like this are nothing new, and I've used these for as long as I've known of this game.

Anyway, second mission done.

So Kat and DINO reach the Order's (the naming is so incredibly creative here...) hideout and meet VINO, who gives us a big speech about wars, his and his brother's past, about their work... And I think it's supposed to sound intelligent, but it really doesn't.

The three go to Paradise, the childhood home of the twins, where DINO enters limbo again with the help of Kat's concoction, which contains things like "squirrel semen." Again, I guess it's supposed to be funny, but it's really just cringeworthy.

The level itself is actually a lot better than the first one, though. DINO explores his childhood home, finding Arbiter axe and Osiris scythe, gaining whips to grapple stuff, and discovering his past.

Exploring a place like this is pretty cool in and of itself. A few times DINO goes into this weird environment, which I guess is inside his head, with floating objects and a giant statue, breaking the chains on it to unlock his memories. The platforming here isn't very challenging, and the combat is just that much more interesting with the new weapons, but the idea of the level is nice.

As for the memories that unlock... Sparda, his wife and sons together as a family. It's neat to finally see this actually, but that's all. So in this continuity, instead of rebelling against the demons like the noble badass he is, Sparda is just star-crossed lovers with Eva, and that's why he's hated? Badass decay, and I guess SINO is more fitting here too. And he's still out there somewhere, being tortured.

A few other minor things. Blue orbs are now "green health crosses." What's up with that? They still have red orbs, white orbs, gold orbs, and vital stars, so what was so terrible about blue orbs? It's just silly and gets in the way of color-coding, because when I think of green items, I think of vital stars.

Another thing is SINO's face. It's somehow destroyed in every photo and painting. Why? We've seen it before if you go with the unlockable outfits. You can show it.

And then the trio are off to fight against "those responsible", as DINO says. Overall, it's better than the first level in gameplay, and has some cool stuff in it. The story, though...
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#10ufaraPosted 7/4/2013 12:32:01 PM
HyperProtomanX posted...
ufara posted...

Thank you, and no, I do not. I have no experience whatsoever at doing, and not much in watching let's plays, I don't think I'd even have the equipment necessary (I don't even have access to a camera at the moment). Furthermore, I personally don't really like let's plays. I barely have enough time to play myself, so I don't really understand people who have time to watch others play, and only watch them when it's a game I want to see but can't play for whatever reason.

I like LPs base on what game they are playing and who is playing. If someone can be entertaining and play a bad or good game, I'm there.

That, and if I'm playing a game that can be a bit grindy, they can help with the tedium.

Thank you Vita!
---