Chronicling my journey through limbo.

#101Psychochild27Posted 7/10/2013 7:46:39 PM(edited)

The unlockable outfits are bad. DINO with his white hair from the end of the game does look better than normally, but the improvement is very small when he still looks like he is in desperate need of a shower, new clothes, and food. And then there's the "Son of Sparda" outfit where DINO goes coatless. I didn't like the coat, but I think he's even uglier without it. Had to leave outfits for DLC, did you? The only one of which I like is the DMC3 outfit that's really not my favorite of Dante's outfits.

Coatless Dante is honestly the best costume out there, if only because (Dante's hideous coat aside), you don't have to sit there and watch Dante's coat constantly twitching out because the coat itself has no physics, just pre-canned animations. In previous games, there was some independent coat physics going on that helped hide the jank in some of Dante's animations as they preserved a sense of momentum while Dante would snap from one thing to the next, but here, Dante's coat just resets to some pre-determined default with every attack he does making some attacks like going from Prop to shooting E&I look freaking awful.

DMC3 Dante meanwhile kinda looks better, but the coat is still the same length as DmC Dante's and twitches around constantly, so it still manages to look really stupid in gameplay.
#102NostalgiaRulesPosted 7/10/2013 8:26:21 PM
Psychochild27 posted...

The unlockable outfits are bad. DINO with his white hair from the end of the game does look better than normally, but the improvement is very small when he still looks like he is in desperate need of a shower, new clothes, and food. And then there's the "Son of Sparda" outfit where DINO goes coatless. I didn't like the coat, but I think he's even uglier without it. Had to leave outfits for DLC, did you? The only one of which I like is the DMC3 outfit that's really not my favorite of Dante's outfits.

Coatless Dante is honestly the best costume out there, if only because (Dante's hideous coat aside), you don't have to sit there and watch Dante's coat constantly twitching out because the coat itself has no physics, just pre-canned animations. In previous games, there was some independent coat physics going on that helped hide the jank in some of Dante's animations as they preserved a sense of momentum while Dante would snap from one thing to the next, but here, Dante's coat just resets to some pre-determined default with every attack he does making some attacks like going from Prop to shooting E&I look freaking awful.

DMC3 Dante meanwhile kinda looks better, but the coat is still the same length as DmC Dante's and twitches around constantly, so it still manages to look really stupid in gameplay.

The best coat physics were in DMC 4. Both Dante and Nero's coats reacted to the environments. If the wind blew, their coats would wave in the breeze. If there was no wind, their coats would stay still. And, as minor as it may seem, I thought it was hilarious to see Dante fold his arms and nod off to sleep while standing if you left him alone in one spot for too long. XD
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#103HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 3:20:25 AM
Psychochild27 posted...

If you pay attention to things like that, then I can see your point, but it appears I didn't. Regardless, while I agree on the coat being hideous (And what's up with the Union Jack? It implies some sort of patriotism, which I don't really think fits DINO's issues with authorities.), I hate shirts like his in real life as well and removing his coat increases my desire to slam an apple in his mouth (admittedly hypocritical of me...).

I agree that it still doesn't look as good as in DMC3, and like I said, it's really not my favorite anyway. There was something off with Dante's outfit in both DMC3 and DMC4. I can't decide which one I like better, his outfit in DMC1 or DMC2 , though.
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#104Pesmerga255Posted 7/11/2013 3:38:17 AM
He wears a union flag because NT are based in England. It's funny because it completely detracts from his "rebel bad-boy" image. The UK hasn't been known for rebellious attitudes since the 70s. The UK is just as conformist and consumer-heavy as the USA now, it just has an additional layer of bureaucracy.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#105HyperProtomanX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 4:01:14 AM
I know that's why it's there, it just doesn't make sense in the context of the story and the character. Reminds me of Renny Harlin's references to Finland.
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#106rice_noodlesPosted 7/11/2013 4:23:22 AM
Ninja Theory doesn't even have an excuse for the coat looking bad. The Arkham games run on UE3 too, and those games have perfect cape movements.