I think Witcher 2 is the real westernized version of DMC

#1MixorzPosted 8/6/2013 4:33:12 PM(edited)
Witcher 2 is one of my favorite games this gen. As I play through it I can't help but notice many similarities between the two from a main character standpoint. Geralt is very much Dante. They look similar, both are part human, both have supernatural abilities, both hunt monsters/demons, both use a diverse arsenal of weapons.

I think I'm on to something.

Edit: I didn't play Witcher 1 so I can't really comment on that one.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Favorite lift: Deadlift
#2Pesmerga255Posted 8/6/2013 4:32:31 PM
I need to play the first game more.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#3OracleGunnerPosted 8/6/2013 4:55:53 PM
Mikki by that vague definition of Dante we should also count Hercules and every single half anything. Mikki do yourself a favor and never post anything witcher related until you at the very least read the books. Seriously go read those books. Btw Geralt is fully human just modified via special potions and toxins. Also magic.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#4Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 5:03:34 PM
OracleGunner posted...
Mikki by that vague definition of Dante we should also count Hercules and every single half anything. Mikki do yourself a favor and never post anything witcher related until you at the very least read the books. Seriously go read those books. Btw Geralt is fully human just modified via special potions and toxins. Also magic.

Sorry but Geralt is a lot like Dante. Look at his appearance, it looks like it was heavily influenced by Dante.

No need to be upset about it. Capcom are huge devs that have set the bar many times. I see it more as a show of respect.
---
#5OracleGunnerPosted 8/6/2013 5:11:48 PM
Mixorz posted...
OracleGunner posted...

Sorry but Geralt is a lot like Dante. Look at his appearance, it looks like it was heavily influenced by Dante.

No need to be upset about it. Capcom are huge devs that have set the bar many times. I see it more as a show of respect.

Mikki this is by far the most ignorant thing you have posted. So every white haired protagonist is now influenced by Dante. Nothing about Geralt looks like Dante outside of the hair and that is arguable. Geralt's lack of pigmentation and his white hair are because of a reaction to the process of becoming a witcher and he is a special case. Or are you referring to the way they fight because they fight differently, use different styles of combat and don't use the same type of weapon.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
#6Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 5:56:46 PM
OracleGunner posted...
Mixorz posted...
OracleGunner posted...

Mikki this is by far the most ignorant thing you have posted. So every white haired protagonist is now influenced by Dante. Nothing about Geralt looks like Dante outside of the hair and that is arguable. Geralt's lack of pigmentation and his white hair are because of a reaction to the process of becoming a witcher and he is a special case. Or are you referring to the way they fight because they fight differently, use different styles of combat and don't use the same type of weapon.

Their style of combat is different mostly due to different genres and devs.

Lets look at some facts.
Geralt is a mercenary that hunts demons and monsters. Dante is a mercenary that hunts demons and monsters.
They both have white hair.
They both use swords as their main weapon, but have a pretty large arsenal.
They both wear leather coats.
They both have magic.
They are both ladies men.

They have a lot in common. Those aren't just vague similarities. The only real difference is due to genre (mostly for the combat as if Witcher was a hack and slash it would be a little more similar) and setting (Witcher is fantasy, DMC is modern/fantasy). And of course theyre not going to have the same backstory, hence why its influenced from it and not just a blatant rip off. I know you don't like me but it seems you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.
---
#7OracleGunnerPosted 8/6/2013 6:26:38 PM
Their styles are different not because of genre but of ideal. For Geralt efficiency goes first, Dante not so much. You are being deliberately general about it. If anything at all Dante is a eastern version of Geralt due to their respective release dates (this is counting books not games). I'm telling you that you are wrong because you are. So according to you everyone that hunts demons and monsters for a living are versions of Dante. Well now I know that the Ghostbusters are Dante Expys. Well know we know that albinos are devil hunters as well. My god they wear leather!!!! If only that wasn't common or convenient for their jobs. OMG they use swords that proves that they are copies, if only that wasn't a a common weapon nor was it a different type of blade for each one of them. Yes because magic works the same and they use the same magic and one of them is totally not the son of a sorceress who inherited part of her talents. And being a ladies man makes you a copy of each other well stop the presses everyone. Mikki you just described quite a few protagonists and general heroes. Again you are just pathetically trolling once again. Now go fetch me my coffee.
---
#8Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 6:49:01 PM
Most heroes will have things in common with others, but the amount of similarities between Geralt and Dante are quite numerous as I showed. The fact that you compare ghostbusters to Dante and Geralt shows you just want to disagree.
---
#9SiLVeR_420Posted 8/6/2013 7:56:28 PM(edited)
What...
Pros are getting dumber aren't they.
---
Mizore Shirayukis snowbunny.
Hey Sony. Remember that time I owned a PS2?...friends?
#10StrelokPosted 8/6/2013 8:27:05 PM
Mikki...

As someone who actually read a Witcher book...

Good grief.
Just good grief.
You really are a... special... case.

There is no amount of facepalms good enough for this "argument" you are trying to make, and damnit I think I got dumber just by reading it.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg