When will we get the next DMC/DmC game?

#21ShengaliPosted 8/30/2013 12:51:33 PM
TheOriginalMax posted...
Shengali posted...
@ MAX

Unless you see DmC as an experiment on Capcom's behalf, to see if DMC was one of the properties they could outsource (wasn't it among the first?)

Sure, if one wants to stay optimistic about it then by all means. There's just the issue with money... And experimenting in Capcom's current economic situation was pretty foolish from whatever perspective one looks at it. Yeah there is the old motto that to make a successful business one has to take risks, but people tend to have tunnel vision and think all risks are worth taking. Which just isn't true :D

I really doubt Capcom would invest more money on what they may consider a cash sink, especially with things like movies. It just doesn't seem like a smart investment at all.

Oh I wasn't saying that as either justification for DmC OR somehow encouragment on any upcoming game. I was just saying regarding their DmC decision in the first place. They weren't in such a precarious position back when they first announced it, for one. Two, they were in the beginning stages of trying to outsource stuff, and by outsourcing DmC it (3) left the lead free to pursue Dragon's Dogma - which seemed to have made them money.

They said in interviews they did it to "challenge themselves", and that by itself sounds like an experiment, especially since they DIDN'T challenge themselves - they challenged NT. Or, more apparently/likely, they did it to try and make a "quick buck" while the dev team was busy. Now they know they can't outsource DMC or have a "B" team do it. Does that mean we'll get another soon? Not really. As you said, they've earned quite a lot of spite. They could earn a bunch back, depending initially upon the announcement trailer, but they'll probably just sit on/shelve it like some many of their other money making franchises (Megaman, etc)
#22OracleGunnerPosted 8/30/2013 12:55:21 PM
Shengali posted...
TheOriginalMax posted...
Shengali posted...
@ MAX

Unless you see DmC as an experiment on Capcom's behalf, to see if DMC was one of the properties they could outsource (wasn't it among the first?)

Sure, if one wants to stay optimistic about it then by all means. There's just the issue with money... And experimenting in Capcom's current economic situation was pretty foolish from whatever perspective one looks at it. Yeah there is the old motto that to make a successful business one has to take risks, but people tend to have tunnel vision and think all risks are worth taking. Which just isn't true :D

I really doubt Capcom would invest more money on what they may consider a cash sink, especially with things like movies. It just doesn't seem like a smart investment at all.

Oh I wasn't saying that as either justification for DmC OR somehow encouragment on any upcoming game. I was just saying regarding their DmC decision in the first place. They weren't in such a precarious position back when they first announced it, for one. Two, they were in the beginning stages of trying to outsource stuff, and by outsourcing DmC it (3) left the lead free to pursue Dragon's Dogma - which seemed to have made them money.

They said in interviews they did it to "challenge themselves", and that by itself sounds like an experiment, especially since they DIDN'T challenge themselves - they challenged NT. Or, more apparently/likely, they did it to try and make a "quick buck" while the dev team was busy. Now they know they can't outsource DMC or have a "B" team do it. Does that mean we'll get another soon? Not really. As you said, they've earned quite a lot of spite. They could earn a bunch back, depending initially upon the announcement trailer, but they'll probably just sit on/shelve it like some many of their other money making franchises (Megaman, etc)

Megaman T_T
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#23TheOriginalMaxPosted 8/31/2013 4:51:28 AM
Shengali posted...

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding ^_^

Good point about Dragon's Dogma, but IIRC they were in financial trouble back then already. Although yeah, not in as bad a position as they are now, true.

I see. What you said makes sense. The phrase "you can choose your friends but not your family" sorta works for the DMC franchise right now in that it's a misfortune it was made by Capcom in the first place. Then again are any game companies good nowadays? Even P* said they would like to become a second party developer for Nintendo, meaning the Sony and M$ consoles would stop receiving high quality games from P* altogether. This industry is really looking grim dark for me atm. Where would Sony-M$ console owners go for their Japanese crazy action games from now on? =/

I will admit that it was an article on IGN and nothing was said about whether they would really become a part of Nintendo or not but just the thought of it has me very concerned. I actually may even stop playing video games. Sure there will be other titles I'm interested in but none of them have ever gotten as much attention from as Japanese HnS games, so rather than playing games weekly, I may even end up playing games bimonthly from now on.

Do other people here feel like the next gen and the future of video gaming isn't that interesting anymore? Are there others whose feelings of looking forward to things have been replaced by a sort of concern over what the game companies are going to screw up next and / or how they'll be trying to take advantage of / lie to us as consumers? Or some similar feelings of hype being replaced by a "not so good" feeling nowadays? I do.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#24fifinambo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 9:27:34 AM
TheOriginalMax posted...
Shengali posted...

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding ^_^

Good point about Dragon's Dogma, but IIRC they were in financial trouble back then already. Although yeah, not in as bad a position as they are now, true.

I see. What you said makes sense. The phrase "you can choose your friends but not your family" sorta works for the DMC franchise right now in that it's a misfortune it was made by Capcom in the first place. Then again are any game companies good nowadays? Even P* said they would like to become a second party developer for Nintendo, meaning the Sony and M$ consoles would stop receiving high quality games from P* altogether. This industry is really looking grim dark for me atm. Where would Sony-M$ console owners go for their Japanese crazy action games from now on? =/

I will admit that it was an article on IGN and nothing was said about whether they would really become a part of Nintendo or not but just the thought of it has me very concerned. I actually may even stop playing video games. Sure there will be other titles I'm interested in but none of them have ever gotten as much attention from as Japanese HnS games, so rather than playing games weekly, I may even end up playing games bimonthly from now on.

Do other people here feel like the next gen and the future of video gaming isn't that interesting anymore? Are there others whose feelings of looking forward to things have been replaced by a sort of concern over what the game companies are going to screw up next and / or how they'll be trying to take advantage of / lie to us as consumers? Or some similar feelings of hype being replaced by a "not so good" feeling nowadays? I do.

I feel like people are starting to burn out on console games in general. I think angry birds and facebook games are more popular nowadays. I thought that overall it wouldn't be a bad thing just to have some casual games, but I think that it has had a big effect on where the gaming industry is heading. It's sad.
---
Yes I think we`ve got a problem. So much for the afterglow.
#25ShengaliPosted 9/5/2013 10:23:12 PM(edited)
OracleGunner posted...
Megaman T_T

Mighty No. 9!!! XD

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?
#26xanketsuPosted 9/6/2013 3:17:24 AM
TheOriginalMax posted...

I do, too.
---
I'm learning English.
#27OracleGunnerPosted 9/6/2013 6:17:09 AM
Shengali posted...
OracleGunner posted...
Megaman T_T

Mighty No. 9!!! XD

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?

Only 500k to go for console versions.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#28TheOriginalMaxPosted 9/6/2013 10:14:56 AM
fifinambo posted...
I feel like people are starting to burn out on console games in general. I think angry birds and facebook games are more popular nowadays. I thought that overall it wouldn't be a bad thing just to have some casual games, but I think that it has had a big effect on where the gaming industry is heading. It's sad.

True, good point. Yeah the vg industry kinda screwed themselves over with what they did. People kept saying it's not going to be a good long term plan, but they didn't listen. *insert Randy Marsh "we didn't listen"*

xanketsu posted...
I do, too.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#29DuuuDe14Posted 9/6/2013 10:52:51 AM
2015. As long as I sit in this chair, there will always be hope.

*sits on Dante's chair*
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of all GameFaqs boards.
I shall forever be sitting in Dante's chair. Till the day he returns to us.
#30rice_noodlesPosted 9/6/2013 12:38:12 PM
TheOriginalMax posted...
fifinambo posted...

True, good point. Yeah the vg industry kinda screwed themselves over with what they did. People kept saying it's not going to be a good long term plan, but they didn't listen. *insert Randy Marsh "we didn't listen"*

xanketsu posted...
I do, too.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yfbMzVo.png