Have Ninja Theory shoot themselves in the leg?

#1KyryloPosted 10/4/2013 2:39:03 AM
Yes. What topic says. What makes good developer popular among publisher? Id say mostly reputation on both critical and financial acclaim. I also think that nowadays when times are dire for many game companies, later is more important to them. And now lets get facts straight, one by one.
Heavenly Sword: acclaimed, sold 1,2 mil. copies ( very fine for new IP ), yet still Tameem threw a tantrum about being exclusive devs. Result: Sony cancels HS2. Cuts ties with Ninja Theory. Now Ninja Theory doesn't have right to develop HS2 and it most likely be outsourced to some other studio, if ever made.
Enslaved: With namco support game barely sold 400 000 copies, while eating millions due to excessive costs and aim at AAA market. Result: Tameem blames namco and gamers, throws a fit once again. Namco seizes ties with Ninja Theory and abandons IP
Finally DmC. Ninja Theory takes Capcom money and promises golden mountains. In the end game flops, contributes to danger of Capcom bankruptcy and Ninja Theory lefts with money.
Now from standpoint of publisher it's pretty clear that every partnership with Ninja Theory ended up in losses of money. As such i highly doubt that they will keep on a float for a very long time.
#2StepswordsmanPosted 10/4/2013 5:32:53 AM
Guess there's a reason why Ninja Theory left the AAA market and moved on to mobile games. And, considering how much does EA like money, I assume that they won't be able to pull off the same trick with Fightback. So, either Tameem's game succeeds (lol), or Ninja Theory loses their precious moneys. You can't really sink much lower than making mobile games, so who will help the poor struggling studio then? Either british government, if they really are dumb enough to keep funding them, or our favorite corporation: Electronic Arts.

I honestly can't wait for their new game. The mere thought of a good thing coming out of EA's habit of murdering developers makes me excited for some reason. Probably because if they do their job right, it will break the myth that all EA is good for is ruining videogames for everyone.
---
Decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing.
#3QCTeamkillPosted 10/4/2013 6:51:59 AM
Topic title have god grammar.
#4Rising_shadowPosted 10/4/2013 7:07:23 AM
And the salt golem appears. Have no arguments to counter yours with? No worries, he'll act like a condescending douchebag anyway.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#5Black OutPosted 10/4/2013 7:29:51 AM
I feel sorry for the NT workers there, save for Tameem.

Imagine, you're doing an honest pay-the-bills job, and your superior and related PR are screwing things.
---
The Official Manchester Black of the C&GN Board
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. . . "
#6HellVGuardPosted 10/4/2013 8:00:46 AM
Black Out posted...

Imagine, you're doing an honest pay-the-bills job, and your superior and related PR are screwing things.

I feel the same way. As horrible as the game was I cant help feeling sorry for the workers who actually worked hard and may have had better ideas but were discarded because of the guys above. Surely some of them must have wondered "What the hell IS this?! The demon king has absolute power but needs debt to control the world?!"

As for the topic, I do think that NT has actually shot themselves straight in the head. Given their poor history and awful games they should have gone under after HS but they have been pretty lucky all along. Perhaps they have expertise in other fields? To sum it up, NT crumbling down is a sensible conclusion but still not inevitable as they have somehow survived all this time. Whatever luck they have had, it's incredible.
#7Kyrylo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 11:43:11 AM
Black Out posted...

no worries. most switched jobs after lol enslaved. One of the main designers switched to naughty dog. their main programmer moved to brink studio.
#8StepswordsmanPosted 10/4/2013 12:24:21 PM(edited)
Hah, I was actually wondering why are some of the employees responsible for DmC (like the gameplay director) getting so many promotions in such a short timespan. Guess the answer was way too obvious: others left.
---
Decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing.
#9DullahansXMarkPosted 10/4/2013 12:29:00 PM
Stepswordsman posted...
You can't really sink much lower than making mobile games

No no no no no no no.

You can't really sink much lower than making FREE mobile games for a subsidiary of Electronic Arts.

Gotta throw that other stuff in there, too XD
#10syctheweilderPosted 10/4/2013 1:34:57 PM
The british taxpayers are currently keeping ninja theory afloat.

I dunno why they still are as they're clearly not making any money.