So I found all the cutscenes put together as one big movie on Youtube...spoilers

#1KoolAssAssassinPosted 10/15/2013 12:14:09 PM
It's actually a pretty interesting story when you watch it like that. I'm not saying its best selling book good (for whatever that title is worth), but it's entertaining.

That said, there are a lot of videos talking about how they ruined Dante's character. I don't get that. I'm not saying they are carbon copies, but DmC Dante isn't that far from his predecessor. I'd say the difference between them is comparable to what you might see comic character like Spiderman or Batman be when written by different authors. Basically they are the same character, but there are some slight differences in personality here and there.

The character they really butchered is Vergil. It's disgusting really. He's a completely different person. It would have been better if they had not used him at all. They made him weaker than Dante and changed pretty much everything about how they relate to each other. They also reworked pretty much all of his personality and threw away his former objectives. To make matters worse, the DLC swings him on the complete opposite side. I guess he regains his power (though even this is questionable since he's probably more Nelo Angelo now than regular Vergil). But the real issues is now he seems to be totally evil, which Vergil never really was.

I guess you have to give some leeway when a series is rebooted, but seriously was it necessary to butcher him like that?
#2StrelokPosted 10/15/2013 4:14:59 PM
like Spiderman or Batman be when written by different authors.

You never read Allstar Batman & Robin did you.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#3Slayer_22Posted 10/15/2013 6:34:46 PM
Strelok posted...
like Spiderman or Batman be when written by different authors.

You never read Allstar Batman & Robin did you.

You've never read Batman: Noel have you?
---
You should check out Imagine Dragons http://youtu.be/wO0ohGn-x3E
<o> YES! \o/ <o> YES! \o/ <o> YES! \o/
#4syctheweilderPosted 10/15/2013 9:47:07 PM
Or Fortunate Son?

Or Dark Knight Strikes Again?

There's loads of different writers for the caped crusader, and some of his stories really suck?

That's just what happens when you're not picky about who you trust with your license.
#5StrelokPosted 10/15/2013 11:59:32 PM
syctheweilder posted...
Or Fortunate Son?

There's loads of different writers for the caped crusader, and some of his stories really suck?

That's just what happens when you're not picky about who you trust with your license.

He is proving the point I was making.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
#6syctheweilderPosted 10/16/2013 2:18:52 AM
Strelok posted...
syctheweilder posted...
Or Fortunate Son?

He is proving the point I was making.

i think more examples were in order

like batman and robin(the comic, not the movie) after the first couple of issues.
#7KoolAssAssassin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 5:33:39 AM
Nowhere did I say that there was never ever a story where a comic character was written completely out of character. The point I was making was that Dante in DmC differed from classic Dante really only as much as you might see in the average variation of comic characters from writer to writer whereas Vergil was made into a completely different character.

I can see why fans of the series would have a problem with this game though. Reboots are all well and good, but at the end of the day, they should still feel like the original series to some degree. In this case, I get the feeling that if they had simply changed the names of the characters, this could have been the storyline for a completely different IP.
#8Rising_shadowPosted 10/16/2013 6:17:16 AM
I really don't see any similarity between Dante and Donte at all. Donte is an abrasive manwhore jackass who belittles everyone and makes crude jokes and doesn't give a crap about anyone except himself and Kat while Dante acts like a clown but obviously has no problems with other people and clearly really doesn't want to kill Vergil while Donte has no hesitations in putting a sword through Vorgel's chest.
In the same vein, Donte clearly doesn't even think twice about his abilities as a nefloom while a big part of Dante's character is conciliating his identity as a human being and as the son of the greatest demon who's ever existed and an individual who is defined by his willingness to see what's right and wrong and turn against his own kind for the sake of humanity. While Dante has some resentment in DMC3 against Sparda for not being there when his family was torn apart, Donte is busy in nightclubs screwing hookers and strippers while getting drunk and not even remembering for no well defined reason his entire family.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#9KoolAssAssassin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 10:15:28 AM
Rising_shadow posted...
I really don't see any similarity between Dante and Donte at all. Donte is an abrasive manwhore jackass who belittles everyone and makes crude jokes and doesn't give a crap about anyone except himself and Kat while Dante acts like a clown but obviously has no problems with other people and clearly really doesn't want to kill Vergil while Donte has no hesitations in putting a sword through Vorgel's chest.

What is this even based on really? Donte (as you call him) doesn't even have interactions with humans outside of Kat and Vorgel. Sure he started off standoffish to both of them, but when the truth was revealed to him, he warmed up to both very fast. The whole "I don't give a crap about anyone or anything" facade dropped very early in the start. Past that, most of his interactions were with demons he wants to kill, so of course he's not going to be very warm and loving towards them.

As for his fight with Vorgel, he lost himself in the "demon." That's why he did that. Clearly Kat had to snap him out of it, and once he did, he stopped the assault and helped Vorgel up.

In the same vein, Donte clearly doesn't even think twice about his abilities as a nefloom while a big part of Dante's character is conciliating his identity as a human being and as the son of the greatest demon who's ever existed and an individual who is defined by his willingness to see what's right and wrong and turn against his own kind for the sake of humanity. While Dante has some resentment in DMC3 against Sparda for not being there when his family was torn apart, Donte is busy in nightclubs screwing hookers and strippers while getting drunk and not even remembering for no well defined reason his entire family.

Did you pay attention to the story at all? It's stated pretty clearly very early on that Sparda wiped their minds to protect them. That's why he couldn't remember his family. And then towards the end of the game, Donte specifically tells Vorgel that the womanizing and demon fighting was his attempt to fill the hole that was left by having that part of his memory ripped away. Not to mention that Dante was always depicted as a pretty seedy character too. Maybe they turned up the edge to 10 with Donte, but Dante was not a Saint. The games just didn't go as in depth in exploring his character flaws.
#10StrelokPosted 10/16/2013 11:16:17 AM
What is this even based on really? Donte (as you call him) doesn't even have interactions with humans outside of Kat and Vorgel. Sure he started off standoffish to both of them, but when the truth was revealed to him, he warmed up to both very fast. The whole "I don't give a crap about anyone or anything" facade dropped very early in the start. Past that, most of his interactions were with demons he wants to kill, so of course he's not going to be very warm and loving towards them.

As for his fight with Vorgel, he lost himself in the "demon." That's why he did that. Clearly Kat had to snap him out of it, and once he did, he stopped the assault and helped Vorgel up.

Let's see, he acts like a gigantic ass throughout the game to people he did not "warm up" to (Which goes horrendously fast, seriously), like knocking cans out of hands, or punching out for just doing his job.
Nope, sorry. I can't see him being like Dante at all, he is a borderline psychopath.

Did you pay attention to the story at all? It's stated pretty clearly very early on that Sparda wiped their minds to protect them. That's why he couldn't remember his family. And then towards the end of the game, Donte specifically tells Vorgel that the womanizing and demon fighting was his attempt to fill the hole that was left by having that part of his memory ripped away. Not to mention that Dante was always depicted as a pretty seedy character too. Maybe they turned up the edge to 10 with Donte, but Dante was not a Saint. The games just didn't go as in depth in exploring his character flaws.

He wiped their minds to protect them... and put them in an orphanage ran by demons.

Ladies and gentlemen, this can only merit one reaction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjVpgLkeFg

And while Dante was not a saint, he:
1) At least showered.
2) At least didn't act like a gigantic ass to people who were just bystanders
3) Actually had a sense of honor
4) Didn't cuss more than the South Park characters at Jerry Springer for no reason.
5) Wasn't a womanizing hangover induced anti-social piece of trailer trash that opens the door of his trailer, parked next to a carnival for kids, STARK NAKED.
---