Why do people say original DMC had bad dialogue...

#1NostalgiaRulesPosted 12/24/2013 12:04:51 AM
Compared to the DmC reboot? Did "FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!" from original DMC 1 really ruin the game for everyone? If that's the case, then why aren't people annoyed with various RPG's where the characters always talk about love, friendship, save the world for honor, peace, joy, hope for the future and everyone's happiness?

And why do people say original DMC games have the worst dialogue, compared to the DmC reboot which they say has more realistic dialogue? The fact that someone picked up a video game controller and turned on the game means they want to escape some realism for a few hours or so. If someone wants to experience realism, they either watch the news or a documentary.

And why do people say original DMC reminds them of anime? Ever played Resident Evil? Guess who the games are made by? Japanese people. Squint all you want, you'll find nothing "Japanese-y" in Resident Evil video games.

The above probably sounds like bait, but it isn't. The first two are legitimate questions that I actually would like to know the answer to.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#2smithkakarotPosted 12/24/2013 12:10:26 AM
"Gritty realism = maturity" is something the masses eagerly gobble up.
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#3LordKaizerPosted 12/24/2013 12:12:32 AM
the whole campaign around DmC is about all these things you said. if crapcom didn't ads around the hate, do you think people will at it?
---
PSN: Sckarton ; Wii U: Sckarton ; Steam: psn_sckarton ; Xbox Live : Raze o Skarreor (boy, that escalated quickly)
#4NostalgiaRules(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 12:23:46 AM
smithkakarot posted...

Strangely enough, if people ever witness or experience actual gritty realism in real life, they have nightmares for years, have to go see a psychologist, become physically ill and, in some cases, have trouble connecting with other people. I don't think people really know realism unless they go through it. Half the stuff in video games and movies is glorified. And even after all that, if people see something terrible in real life, it usually tops anything that a video game or movie could ever pull off.

So the whole, "DmC is more realistic than original DMC animu weaboo junk." Ever see those Dodge Ram car commercials? Guess who the guys in those commercials look like most of the time? DMC 4 Dante. Minus the white/silver hair, they're usually wearing jeans, cowboy chaps, are very muscular and have five 'o clock shadow scruff on their faces.
---
#5smithkakarotPosted 12/24/2013 12:25:33 AM
NostalgiaRules posted...
smithkakarot posted...

Strangely enough, if people ever witness or experience actual gritty realism in real life, they have nightmares for years, have to go see a psychologist, become physically ill and, in some cases, have trouble connecting with other people. I don't think people really know realism unless they go through it. Half the stuff in video games and movies is glorified. And even after all that, if people see something terrible in real life, it usually tops anything that a video game or movie could ever pull off.

Are you talking about...PTSD?
---
#6NostalgiaRules(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 12:37:08 AM
smithkakarot posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...
smithkakarot posted...

Not exactly. I meant that if people even get a glimpse of some of the things that happen in real life that happened in DmC, (minus the demons running around and being able to freeze time and such) the response usually is that "it haunts them forever, they can never let it go, they wish they hadn't been there when it happened, they'll carry it with them for the rest of their lives" ect. Nothing as drastic as PTSD, but fairly close.

I guess the point I was trying make was, people say DmC was fun because it was more realistic than original DMC. How? In DmC, walls try to attack DmC Dante, there's those weird demons that look like they belong in Silent Hill, there's that giant demon/worm/slug thing, Kat can walk between Limbo and the real world....aside from the constant cussing that's reminiscent of a kid playing Xbox Live, what exactly was realistic in the DmC reboot? You'd get more realism if you played games like Resident Evil or maybe The Sims.
---
#7smithkakarotPosted 12/24/2013 12:39:20 AM
NostalgiaRules posted...
smithkakarot posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...
smithkakarot posted...

Not exactly. I meant that if people even get a glimpse of some of the things that happen in real life that happened in DmC, (minus the demons running around and being able to freeze time and such) the response usually is that "it haunts them forever, they can never let it go, they wish they hadn't been there when it happened, they'll carry it with them for the rest of their lives" ect. Nothing as drastic as PTSD, but fairly close.

I guess the point I was trying make was, people say DmC was fun because it was more realistic than original DMC. How? In DmC, walls try to attack DmC Dante, there's those weird demons that look like they belong in Silent Hill, there's that giant demon/worm/slug thing, Kat can walk between Limbo and the real world....aside from the constant cussing that's reminiscent of a kid playing Xbox Live, what exactly was realistic in the DmC reboot? You'd get more realism if you played games like Resident Evil or maybe The Sims.

I guess by "realistic," they mean the characters' power levels are scaled down drastically, there's less flashy acrobatics in the cutscenes, and there's less hammy camp in the dialogue. I personally think that just makes it more boring story-wise, though.
---
#8KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/24/2013 12:52:02 AM
Am I the only one who noticed that the only example people come up with for bad DMC dialogue is the "LIIIIIIGHT" scene?

I don't think I've ever seen someone post any other examples. Not saying they don't exist, but it's a pretty poor argument if you have only one example. It's like posting how Resident Evil 1 has bad dialogue and only linking to the "Jill Sandwich" scene. There's so much more to choose from!
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#9smithkakarotPosted 12/24/2013 12:53:25 AM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Am I the only one who noticed that the only example people come up with for bad DMC dialogue is the "LIIIIIIGHT" scene?

I don't think I've ever seen someone post any other examples. Not saying they don't exist, but it's a pretty poor argument if you have only one example. It's like posting how Resident Evil 1 has bad dialogue and only linking to the "Jill Sandwich" scene. There's so much more to choose from!

At least DMC's "bad" dialogue is bad in a fun sort of way. There's also "My soul...IS SAYING IT WANTS TO STAHPYUU!"
---
#10Dathrowed1Posted 12/24/2013 1:09:25 AM
The Resident Evil argument is a non-sequitur
---
sig