Imagine. You and your co. are tasked with making a sequel to DMC4...

#1NicoJay6Posted 12/26/2013 11:09:37 AM
Capcom are of the opinion that that Nero wasn't newcomer friendly enough, they want you to make a DMC with a Dante that will attract the God of War numbers in sales.
Stipulations are that Dante wield his default signature weapons, combat mechanics differ from past DMC's, vergil feature in some manner, and that Dante's look and story radically be changed, ideally to appeal to western audiences (whatever that means?).

What would you design Dante to look like?
What story would his adventure tell?
What combat mechanics would you employ?

Go wild, but try to follow the stipulations.
#2ZeroX91Posted 12/26/2013 11:18:34 AM(edited)
In all honesty I would have gone with NTs original idea, a Sucker Punch ripoff.
---
*insert something clever here*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ19GKwTuFY
#3tehheadPosted 12/26/2013 12:39:24 PM
I'll make DMC with magician style & continuing the stories after 10-20 year of DMC4

Good old times in DMC, dante lazi ing in the store, and trish greet the customer, only to be surprised by said customer appearance, a perfect copy of trish, then she stabbed trish on her heart, dante now angered, shot customers face, and take the battle outside of DMC, customers replies, message from our master, mundus :D
#4Psychochild27Posted 12/26/2013 2:18:39 PM(edited)

Stipulations are that Dante wield his default signature weapons, combat mechanics differ from past DMC's, vergil feature in some manner, and that Dante's look and story radically be changed, ideally to appeal to western audiences (whatever that means?).

Drastically changing gameplay to cater to newbs? Welllllllll...

Gameplay-wise:

-Back to two weapon switch. Super easy and intuitive to track and the option to dictate your own load-out is always appreciated and lends itself to replay value..

- Keep Styles on the D-Pad but not design and balance the entire game around the idea that Dante should be forced to use constant styles and style switching to maintain visually exciting and exhilarating gameplay. Low level DMC gameplay is kind of agonizing to watch, after all. This means...

-Make Dante's basic movement faster and trigger Speed similar to DT Dante timing. Even without lock-on in DmC, Dante still feels slow as Hell moving around the battlefield. Dante's Jump Arc will also be affected to cover more horizontal space when in Speed similar to Stinger Leaps, but double jumps will preserve speed and the general sense of momentum even when Dante completely changes directions on the second jump. Think Megaman Zero.

-Naturally, environments will have to be generally larger than usual to sustain this gameplay.

-Dante's weapons maintain the single button delayed input branches that they have as it is a intuitive system that feels good, though weapons have at least four or so viable attack strings before we consider Crazy Combos and weapons can drop combos similar to the speed and fluidity that Nero's Red Queen does in DMC4 (See YT Vid) so that way players mix and match strings as they see fit, expanding Dante's potential ground game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXqdWJrnuIE

-In the air, JC windows are still tight, but all weapons end up getting the Bayonetta treatment - Air Combos are available on neutral button inputs for all weapons, Lock On Forward/Back in the air will usually offer moves that affects player positioning (Say Killer Bee or Helmbreaker or Caliburs on the Aerial Stinger Input) and enemy positioning (Aerial Relaunch, spiking them down) when away, typically.

-To compensate for the longer attack strings to facilitate more combo branches, Dodge Offsets are introduced for higher-level players on ground as well as aerial options. Also, MGR:R style soft-lock is introduced on RS, allowing players to lock on and strafe around targets at run speed.

-Guns get buffs to make them more enticing; no more loss of movement speed using them (Unless in the air to about where DMC4's Killer Bee/Sky Star JC aerial momentum is) and get the Bayonetta treament usable in dodges, melee combo strings, Wall Hikes, Dashes, whatever. Damage tuning will be around DMC3-level, charge shots will be encouraged more with better stopping power, visual feedback and ability to break through enemies ranged defensive measures which kick in after long periods of sustained ranged damage.

-Extend Royal Guard's chip-damage timing window before a guard will critically fail, but remove Release meter gains from poorly timed guards entirely and scale damage to be worse if gunning for traditional "Good Parry" timing in other action games. That's super discouraging to new players to have their guards explode constantly and they'll never touch it otherwise. Maintain strict timing from DMC4 for Gold/Silver Just Parries.

-Trickster remains sort of the same. Wall runs feel and look better (And trigger leagues easier). Mustang and Flipper stick around. Double Sky Stars at max level. Triple Dash returns. Dashes themselves are cancelable like Nero's Table Hoppers into other actions (See below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSkEgiT-JPw&t=2m37s

-Keep DMC4's Dante DT. Would work pretty well in the context of the aforementioned movement/ranged system changes.
#5StrelokPosted 12/26/2013 1:52:29 PM
I'd make it a story similar to what I'm currently doing. I mentioned it before, not feeling like typing it all up again.
Long story short, two selectable characters, each with different pros and cons.
Dante would actually be a background character, you get a choice of 2 new protagonists. Dante is an unlockable character of course with his own campaign.

The story in general is that while Mundus has been sealed, his second in command either seems to try to free him, or take power herself.
The two characters have to stop her.
Dantes backstory for a few missions is basically putting him in a boss rush mode, featuring all the bosses from DMC1, 3 and 4, as well as several moving arenas with traps considering the head demoness wants him dead and put him in a hellish pocket dimension that is hard to escape from.

Combat mechanics:
Character 1 would be a mix of Royal Guard and Solid Snake from Smash Bros, as well as Neros Buster.
Character two would be a mix of Trickster, Gunslinger and has a style which allows switching weight, either becoming very light, allowing for more trickster moves, flight and the likes, whereas the heavy mode stops Enemy Step and turns it into Mario Step.
Dante has his Style on the Fly from DMC4, and hits a bit harder than the other characters.
Enemies should be viscious like DMC1, employing tactics and there should be Critical Hits.

Some bossfights might remind a bit of God of War in scale, but not in terms of actual gameplay. Think fighting on top of a collapsing building, or fighting a gigantic dragon (Eye is as big as a character)... while the dragon is flying and actively trying to shake you off.

Because it's DMC. Physics and common sense can, and should, go away.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#6ufaraPosted 12/26/2013 1:55:03 PM
Damn Psycho.

To add to that, lets make Dante's DT customizable. But we can have it more to where it would effect his stats like attack, defence, health regent, speed and the like. You can lower one to a point and raise another.

Could use some tweaking, but it could work out.
---
Leader of the Never Crying Devils crew for GTA Online. All about fun and missions.
Send me a PM if you want to join.
#7Psychochild27Posted 12/26/2013 2:08:22 PM
Damn Psycho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59UM1iFu-c

To add to that, lets make Dante's DT customizable. But we can have it more to where it would effect his stats like attack, defence, health regent, speed and the like. You can lower one to a point and raise another.

Nah. I'd much rather bring back DMC3's method where the currently equipped weapon dictated DT stats but make them y'know, actually noticeable. Maybe have a +DT Skill for each weapon that directly benefits its primary stat boost (I.E. DT Cerberus Speed - +20% more increased attack speed on top of default DT bonus), but nothing more.
#8ufaraPosted 12/26/2013 2:17:25 PM
Psychochild27 posted...
Damn Psycho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m59UM1iFu-c

Nah. I'd much rather bring back DMC3's method where the currently equipped weapon dictated DT stats but make them y'know, actually noticeable. Maybe have a +DT Skill for each weapon that directly benefits its primary stat boost (I.E. DT Cerberus Speed - +20% more increased attack speed on top of default DT bonus), but nothing more.

Hmmmm.

Either one would work.
---
Leader of the Never Crying Devils crew for GTA Online. All about fun and missions.
Send me a PM if you want to join.
#9Nick_KazamaPosted 12/26/2013 6:44:36 PM
Alright team! It's time to bring this series back! We're here to show the DmC fans that WE own the franchise, not them!

Moron worker #1 - Um... why don't we just make DmC2 ya know, we'd sell a billion copies...

*Shoots worker*

Opinion noted. Anyways, it's gonna be set after DMC2, we need a proper timeline because DMC's timeline is a mess. 3,1,4,2, come on!

+ The teaser trailer reads DmC2 but is then slashed in half and shot to death. We get a wave of a red coat and a familiar voice is heard. "Did ya miss me?" says the voice. Devil May Cry 5 flashes on screen.
+ Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish, Lady and Lucia playable with 20 missions each.
+ Sparda missions unlocked after beating Dante's missions.
+ DMC4 gameplay with Quicksilver and Doppleganger styles included.
+ All weapons ever used in the series make a return.
+ NO DLC. Not even free DLC. No DLC period.
+ Storywise, we'll find out where the hell Nero came from, if Dante escaped Hell, Vergil's return and what color underwear Lady has...
+ Final boss modelled after Donte and Tamtam.
---
My harem -
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/NIck_Kazama/bunnyharuhi.jpg
#10NINFanboyPosted 12/27/2013 6:43:09 AM
-) Story doesn't matter as long as it knows its place and doesn't get in the way.

-) Make Dante look even more anime-ish just to piss off the Donte crowd. Hell, you can make him a woman, just not a Meth addict.

-) Gameplay: Keep similar to DMC3/4, but instead of switching stuff on the fly, have a create-a-loadout system where you can choose one melee weapon, one firearm and one style per loadout. Then have a few loadouts available at any time on the L2 and R2 buttons. This frees up the d-pad for quick item usage.
---
You've read it. You can't un-read it.