This game has done more GOOD for the series than BAD.

#1TaizukuPosted 2/11/2014 9:19:01 AM
It just occurred to me why this game was smart to make. It's the same reason they haven't been making any Megaman games.

Gamers that play games like Megaman (sprite based) are unreliable. A good deal of them would rather play the game for free (rom or otherwise) than actually pay for them.

Similar can be said of gamers that play HnS and Survival Horror. A lot of them (us) wait until the game is cheaper or buy it used, on top of it already being a niche genre. Fighting games are niche genres but Capcom supports them because fighting game fans are reliable, they will keep playing and playing and playing, and aren't near as fickle at that. Cosmetic changes, engine changes, story reboots, don't bother them as long as they have the base gameplay.

Now let's talk about this game and why it was good for the series.

It pulled in new fans. People that might have been interested in HnS but were afraid of the difficulty or look of them, saw something that was more familiar to them...unreal engine. Now they're in the genre. They are here and want more to play, so they go and play older DMCs, they go and play Bayonetta, NG, GoW, they realize they like HnS, and here we are with HnS being a still niche, but bigger genre, with more fans that would look towards them when a new one comes out.

Not to mention how many copies DMC5 (or a new Megaman, Mighty No. 9 is going to make bank) is going to sell. It's going to be ridiculous, because whether you hate or love this game, you're trapped now. You're going to see old Dante, and the 60 FPS gameplay, the weapons, the world, and you're going to lose your mind and a good deal of you are going to pre-order and buy day one. Maybe even buy DLC if it comes out.

Hook line and sinker. They don't care how this game did, either way it's good for them.

No such thing as bad publicity.
---
I'll gladly take a bite and swallow the drought of death if it would just CLEAR THIS INFERNAL RACKET FROM WITHIN MY CHEST!
#2Lord_MizerPosted 2/11/2014 9:36:10 AM
Wouldn't interest in DMC5 still be there even if the reboot never existed? I believe people were interested in seeing a sequel for DMC4 (as well as refining the system).

And H&S are going to be niche no matter what. GoW was an exception for the most part, but yeah.

It's going to be ridiculous, because whether you hate or love this game, you're trapped now. You're going to see old Dante, and the 60 FPS gameplay, the weapons, the world, and you're going to lose your mind and a good deal of you are going to pre-order and buy day one. Maybe even buy DLC if it comes out.

Not really. I could end up not purchasing the game at all, therefore ending any choice of preorder/dayone/DLC shenanigans. I'm wary of Capcom at this time and they're not the only company I can play games from. I'm not easy to please when it comes to games.
---
Can't think of anything right now, so....*Sits on lawn chair*
Hen and chicken is two different animals/Blanka always talked since SF1- OmegaPillow
#3GigerSupremePosted 2/11/2014 9:37:58 AM
"It pulled in new fans."

no it didn't. sales for this game were an all time low coupled with the antagonistic PR.

"People that might have been interested in HnS but were afraid of the difficulty or look of them, saw something that was more familiar to them...unreal engine."

your average joe gamer dosent care damn about what engine the game was made with.

"Hook line and sinker. They don't care how this game did, either way it's good for them."

this is the most preposterous theory i ever heard. why would a company ever want to alienate all their customers and lose out on millions of dollars on such a crackpot theory?

"No such thing as bad publicity."

DmC proves otherwise.
#4Taizuku(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 9:39:02 AM
Lord_Mizer posted...
Wouldn't interest in DMC5 still be there even if the reboot never existed? I believe people were interested in seeing a sequel for DMC4 (as well as refining the system).

And H&S are going to be niche no matter what. GoW was an exception for the most part, but yeah.

I don't think people would still be interested if not for the reboot. See MK9, Red Dead Redemption. Or for the opposite, Max Payne.

And yes, I said it was going to stay niche, but a bigger niche base is better than a smaller one.
---
I'll gladly take a bite and swallow the drought of death if it would just CLEAR THIS INFERNAL RACKET FROM WITHIN MY CHEST!
#5Taizuku(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 9:47:42 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
"It pulled in new fans."

no it didn't. sales for this game were an all time low coupled with the antagonistic PR.

"People that might have been interested in HnS but were afraid of the difficulty or look of them, saw something that was more familiar to them...unreal engine."

your average joe gamer dosent care damn about what engine the game was made with.

"Hook line and sinker. They don't care how this game did, either way it's good for them."

this is the most preposterous theory i ever heard. why would a company ever want to alienate all their customers and lose out on millions of dollars on such a crackpot theory?

"No such thing as bad publicity."

DmC proves otherwise.

1. Aside from the fact that I know personally of at least 5 people that never played DMC before hearing of this game (myself not included) your first point is wrong. Also there have been plenty of people that have come here saying this is their first DMC.

2. It's not about them caring about the engine, but about them recognizing a certain look. If you think there are people that don't do that, you know nothing about marketing and why people buy things.

3. Because it's going to work, and historically has worked. You know "MCDONALDS MONOPOLY/MCRIB IS BACK!" and then they make a killing while it's back, and take it away again.

4. No it doesn't. I guarantee DMC5 is going to outsell every DMC except maybe 4.
---
#6KyryloPosted 2/11/2014 9:53:07 AM
Sorry, tbh, i think DmC2 is anything we gonna see about franchise. DMC is dead to capcom, just like megaman, onimusha and pretty much any good franchise they had. They are to busy making crappy games like Deep Down
---
http://psnprofiles.com/sedoi
#7Taizuku(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 9:55:11 AM
Excuse me? Deep Down looks great if you're a fan of co-op. It looks pretty good regardless. It's monster hunter meets DS...and it's free, what's to hate?
---
#8Lord_MizerPosted 2/11/2014 9:56:50 AM
I don't think people would still be interested if not for the reboot. See MK9, Red Dead Redemption. Or for the opposite, Max Payne.

I'd say MK needed a reboot badly. The 3D fighters produced (Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon) were mediocre at best and they were clearly running out of ideas at that point. Never got into RDR or Max Payne, so I can't comment on that.

And I still believe that interest in DMC was there. It not like the franchise is obscure in any fashion and was flopping. No...they just wanted the big bucks that GoW provided and thought they could do it. The series didn't need a reboot, especially when their latest game at the time was just a couple of years old and is still their highest selling title in the franchise. Just seems needless to me.
---
Can't think of anything right now, so....*Sits on lawn chair*
Hen and chicken is two different animals/Blanka always talked since SF1- OmegaPillow
#9KyryloPosted 2/11/2014 9:57:20 AM
Taizuku posted...
Excuse me? Deep Down looks great if you're a fan of co-op. It looks pretty good regardless. It's monster hunter meets DS...and it's free, what's to hate?

....are you joking? it looks like terribad Dark Souls rip-off with clunky controls and flat designs. I wonder why FROM haven't sued Capcom for plagiarism.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/sedoi
#10NewbKillahWolfPosted 2/11/2014 9:59:18 AM
You bring valid points man.

But haters gonna hate.

Peace.