Do gamers really like realism in video games?

#1NostalgiaRulesPosted 2/13/2014 7:21:36 PM
Or is this just some fad that they pretend to like so they can fit in? I've seen a lot of people's posts saying how realistic DmC is and how they like that. Is it true that they really feel that way or is it something that's just said so they don't feel left out?
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#2ufaraPosted 2/13/2014 7:26:08 PM
Not this one. And for several reasons.

1) Too easy to break immersion. When a game tries to be realistic, some of the smallest things can break it.

2) They seem to get dated faster. Now this one is more of a graphic thing, but even a year or two can make a realistic game appear dated.

3) Depending on the game, they can be pretty dull.
---
"You haven't seen what I've seen or been through what I've been through. Truly, I live an edgy life."
#3SiLVeR_420Posted 2/13/2014 7:27:37 PM
Some games its fine. But in character action games? No. Keep realism as far away as possible.

Its only western devs that try to shove realism in every genre.
---
Toshinou Kyouko!
#4NextGenCowboyPosted 2/13/2014 7:28:42 PM
Realism helps in certain genres. Survival horror, and stealth being primary ones on my list for games that should include some realistic elements.

This genre should stay as far away from realism as is possible. One you introduce a one man army, versus a demon hoard, then realism kind of has to take a back seat to fun, combos, and stylish gameplay.

Counting bullets in a survival horror game is fantastic, as it adds tension, and makes you make the choice of whether it's better to shoot it out, or run away. If that same element was put into a DMC game, it would simply be needlessly frustrating, unless it's a situation where those bullets were magically infused and did massive damage; which in itself, breaks realism.
#5pigboyPosted 2/13/2014 7:33:33 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
Or is this just some fad that they pretend to like so they can fit in? I've seen a lot of people's posts saying how realistic DmC is and how they like that. Is it true that they really feel that way or is it something that's just said so they don't feel left out?

It really depends on the type of games.

For games that requires realistic physics like some first person shooters, realism is importance.

For fantasy action game like Devil May Cry, I don't want it to be "realism" for it is not supposedly "real". Gamers want to do something they CANNOT do in real life, they want to enjoy an awesome fantasy adventure.
#6NostalgiaRules(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 7:35:33 PM
That makes pretty good sense about realism being all right in some games, but not in others. I think Tomb Raider (the old ones, not this new one) is a good example of mixing a perfect blend of realism with fantasy. I think the Tomb Raider reboot pushed the realism a bit too far. :P
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#7smithkakarotPosted 2/13/2014 7:46:28 PM
Funny, my favorite FPS is the LEAST realistic of the bunch...
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#8SiLVeR_420Posted 2/13/2014 7:47:40 PM
smithkakarot posted...

Bullestorm is mine.
---
Toshinou Kyouko!
#9ufaraPosted 2/13/2014 7:48:36 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
smithkakarot posted...

Bullestorm is mine.

Borderlands here.
---
"You haven't seen what I've seen or been through what I've been through. Truly, I live an edgy life."
#10SiLVeR_420Posted 2/13/2014 7:49:50 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
That makes pretty good sense about realism being all right in some games, but not in others. I think Tomb Raider (the old ones, not this new one) is a good example of mixing a perfect blend of realism with fantasy. I think the Tomb Raider reboot pushed the realism a bit too far. :P

Even the LAUverse games had a good balance.

Its only been the new one that pushed ralism..but then that was the point.
---
Toshinou Kyouko!