Western = ugly

#11SiLVeR_420Posted 3/18/2014 4:43:32 PM
L.A. Noire being one if them.
---
All hail Satsuki-sama!
#12CaseyLynchisHotPosted 3/18/2014 9:44:26 PM
Not all McDonald's have ugly workers. I saw a really hot girl in one of the drive thru's this one time. That smile made my heart melt :3

But man Donte is hideous
---
"You like...some cornflakes? HAHAHAHAHA"
#13NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/18/2014 10:03:04 PM
myghostisdead posted...
I think western studios try to go for more realism but still over emphasize the figure, such as the bald space marine look which you see in some eastern studios too. Both also do the overinflated female figure. I suppose both east and west feel it is what bests fits the story they are trying to tell.

I think it is more studio style. One thing that usually makes western character design ugly, IMO, is the attempt for grittiness and realism but again that is usually the kind of story they are trying to tell.

Graphics have come a long way but there is still the obvious "I am looking at something that isn't real", feeling. Studies show there is a point where people are more disturbed by something that looks AlmostHuman or alive but isn't than something that obviously isn't. It has been called the Polar Express effect. The skill of the studio comes into play a lot so if it is poorly done you end up with lifeless eyes or over emphasized expressions which look weird and ugly in faces that look almost real. I saw that in some expressions in this game. Western studios fall into that more than Eastern because of trying to mimic reality instead of the more fanciful.

To me it is a personal thing. I didn't like the way Lady was portrayed in DMC4 and that was an Eastern game. She wasn't ugly but I thought it was not a progression that fit her. I really like the games that break the mold of both and do something different. There are western made games that have good character design I think. It depends on the studio.

There are Eastern studios, both anime and gaming, that I either like or dislike their style just as western. They influence each other though which is a good thing to me.

^ This. I don't think western games have ugly characters automatically just because they're western, but I do think that many western studios go for the whole "realism" thing and end up trying too hard that it makes the character look rather strange.

As for the hair comment, is someone going to tell Floyd that both DmC Vergil started out with silver hair and DmC Dante gets silver in the end and that when you beat the game, you can play as silver-haired DmC Dante? But I'm sure he's not going to listen to me anyone, so who cares?
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#14StrelokPosted 3/19/2014 2:13:54 AM
He won't, he is a troll. I've said so from the very start because at this point all the troll exposure gives me allergies.
*ACHOO*

Damnit, even mentioning him gives my nose the runs. I've got it bad man.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#15bobbysjobyPosted 3/19/2014 2:18:03 AM
" I've got it bad man."-Strelok

OOOOh Yeeaaahhhh
#16StrelokPosted 3/19/2014 2:30:17 AM
Aww got nothing to add to the discussion other than *ACHOO* trolling little boy?
Please, go run along now, your mother just called you, you are late for elementary school.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#17KyryloPosted 3/19/2014 3:18:24 AM
wow, wow, wow. time-out. How's Lara ugly? or Drake? What's wrong with Jackie Estacado:
http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/2kgames/thedarkness/thedarknessii/single%20player%20preview/darknessiispp_610a.jpg
Or Corvo:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/dishonored/thumb/4/43/Corvofull05_update_2.jpg/228px-Corvofull05_update_2.jpg
Soooo i kinda think it really depends on the problem of Ninja Theory as a team, rather than "all in west is ugly"
---
http://psnprofiles.com/sedoi
#18DuuuDe14Posted 3/19/2014 8:46:36 AM
I think you've got yourself a couple of suitors Strelok.

They really seem to like you. Like run after you with toast like you.

You should ask them out.
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of all GameFaqs boards.
I shall forever be sitting in Dante's chair. Till the day he returns to us.
#19ufaraPosted 3/19/2014 8:51:21 AM
No fooling, I could go for some rye or potato bread toast right now.
---
"You haven't seen what I've seen or been through what I've been through. Truly, I live an edgy life."
#20prince_nagashPosted 3/19/2014 8:52:47 AM
Yes, it's not fair to blanket all devs together.

Nathan Drake, Lara Croft, Adam Jensen, and even Joel are modeled with generally attractive features.

And in Dragon's Dogma, some of the NPCs look like they are from the abyss, and that is an eastern game (western atmosphere, but still eastern artstyle).

Really depends on what the developers are going for. In Skyrim and Mortal Kombat, everyone looks like a demon to me. (Especially every female in a NRS/Midway game)