So, how did Kat...*spoilers*

#41Rising_shadowPosted 5/18/2014 5:04:14 PM
In DMC3 that thing is like 90% Vergil according to the in-game Library/Files page.

Except in DMC4, despite Dante being terrible with it, he manages to deliver extremely powerful long ranged strikes and replicate some of Vergil's techniques. Even if Vergil's skill and power is what allowed him to perform such attacks, he was using applications of Yamato's innate abilities. Just life real life, the most powerful gun is worthless if you don't know how to pull the trigger.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#42StrelokPosted 5/19/2014 3:01:54 AM
My guess is that the bullet was through and through like most bullets when you shoot someone in the head.

And not quite, as I said, Yamato is far more powerful than normal weaponry (like Ladys guns, or a Hells sythe), wielded by a far stronger character with more destructive energies.
Magical versus mundane.
Dungeons and Dragons has this trope (Damage Reduction) by the millions.

And yes, but Trish wasn't as powerful as Vergil and Force Edge wasn't exactly at full power yet, barely above a normal sword. It had the potential for it, when both amulets are unlocked and all that jazz, so it'd transform into the Sparda sword.
But as FDorce Edge it only had potential, not the actual power.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#43Psychochild27Posted 5/19/2014 6:17:41 AM(edited)
Except in DMC4, despite Dante being terrible with it, he manages to deliver extremely powerful long ranged strikes and replicate some of Vergil's techniques. Even if Vergil's skill and power is what allowed him to perform such attacks, he was using applications of Yamato's innate abilities.

Eh. We can go back and forth on this. Dante's competency with the weapon (Which I argue he has much more impressive judgment cuts and feats with Yamato) is not necessarily indicative of the weapon's power but Dante's own development of his abilities to channel and direct his energy into his weapons from DMC3 to DMC4 (Which is a HUGE jump) that we see here and there in other weapons and moves available to him.

It's like suggesting that Lucifer grants telekinesis when it was an established family trait well before DMC4.

And yes, but Trish wasn't as powerful as Vergil

I do not want to live in a world where Nero was always stronger than Trish through every moment of DMC4 and the lightning girl can't even compare itself to a lightning sword that ran itself through Dante once.

where he literally pulls himself through a sword, staggers for a moment and then just grabs the sword like it was a minor flesh wound.

He doesn't pull himself up. That blade is possessing him. Why else would Dante endure the slowest and most agonizing way to remove the blade from his torso which looks like he's being lifted up and through the blade, or how his legs look like they're being manipulated by an outside force and not of Dante's own volition?

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/077/6/8/DMC__Where__s_Alastor__by_ElvenAngel.jpg

I mean, I suppose we could ask this guy, but going by the cutscene, nothing in that scene is Dante's own doing until he staggers, has control given back to him, and proceeds to show Alastor's what's what like it didn't even phase him. Because it didn't.
Force Edge

But still powerful enough to mutate Arkham into a giant blob monster without them. It's a retconned element, whatever, but if it's only reacting that strongly to the fact that Arkham was a human, then logic follows that Dante with his mixed heritage would've had a good bit of fun with being ran through with it.
#44StrelokPosted 5/19/2014 6:29:55 AM
Nero himself is not, not without Yamato at least. And even with Yamato Dante was fooling around with him.

And I don't think it possessed him. Dante is just a huge showoff.

As for Arkham being a blob:
That is what happens when a corrupted human tries to absorb power from a blade that might very well be warded against exactly that from happening.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
#45Psychochild27Posted 5/19/2014 7:18:17 AM(edited)
And I don't think it possessed him. Dante is just a huge showoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R6iBvNStA

"I am Alastor. The weak shall give their heart and swear their eternal loyalty to me."

Right off the bat, the sword tells us it's the one in control.

Dante proceeds to get stabbed in the heart by a sword that can manipulate itself to fling out of a wall and pin a man into the ground with a great deal of force. There is no emotion on his face (Not even pain) the entire time when his eyes bulge open only after the sword's arcing lightning fades, it's just blank and empty. You heart the heart beating ominously as it takes over. Dante doesn't even give himself a push after he plants his feet on the ground, he's slowly lifted, running his heart tortuously through the entire length of the blade up through the dragon's mouth of the hilt which significant emphasis is placed upon, effectively giving his heart to the beast.

52 seconds, Dante quickly recovers and he's Dante again. 57 seconds, he grabs the sword, he looks up at the camera, he's clearly determined with some life in those eyes to show he's conquered the trial. Blah blah blah, big pledge of loyalty holding it aloft, and THEN AND ONLY THEN does he start showing off again like whatever, son. That didn't do NOTHING to me.

This super submissive emotionless behavior through the entire impaling is waaaaay out of character for even DMC1 Dante. If he just had to be stabbed in the heart and in full control, he'd have been "Well, that was fun" and he'd pry it out of him where he laid on the ground. This is WAY too ceremonial and symbolic for him which evil demon artifacts are always super hot and bothered over.

All that along with the fact that this was an RE game at one point that still clung to some of its horror elements, a sword performing this exact rite on anyone who had the misfortune to solve the puzzle is much more in line with the sort of atmosphere they were trying to establish in Mallet Island very early on. Claiming that it's Dante showing off from start to finish undermines one of the best cutscenes in that entire game.
#46StrelokPosted 5/19/2014 8:48:06 AM
He got hurt, definitely.
I don't figure he got possessed, but that is my take on it.

Still, it does little to invalidate my original stance that Dante is not getting hurt unless it is a very powerful weapon.
---
#47roxas9001Posted 5/19/2014 8:49:45 AM
What exactly was changed about Force Edge besides the part where it was originally the sword given to Dante?
---
http://kuja9001.tumblr.com/archive
#48StrelokPosted 5/19/2014 8:54:02 AM
From being utterly useless in DMC1 to being told to be the most powerful sword there was (Which might still be true, but it is incomplete)
---
#49Psychochild27Posted 5/19/2014 9:36:21 AM(edited)
Strelok posted...
He got hurt, definitely.
I don't figure he got possessed, but that is my take on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJhwicSCB4&t=2m40s

Same exact scenario with Dante as Dante where he proceeds to yuck it up, twirl his guns, shoot a motorcycle out of the sky, get up, pose and pull the sword out of himself effortlessly without flinching against a demon specifically constructed by the ultimate-bad-ass in Hell. You're telling me he decides the best way to show off when no one's watching to say "MAN D YOU SO COOL" is by pulling off some Exorcism level shenanigans for giggles to haul himself through the sword in this quasi-fetishistic display entirely for the benefit of the sword that stabbed him?

C'mon, now.

What exactly was changed about Force Edge besides the part where it was originally the sword given to Dante?

That's pretty much it. He was aware of its significance and strength in DMC3 but he didn't seem aware of it in DMC1 and was by design unable to do anything with it because it was a Challenge-Run weapon in DMC1 unlike Vergil who used it as effectively as Dante does Alastor.
#50StrelokPosted 5/19/2014 10:53:37 AM
There is no evidence Alastor is sentient enough to pull it off.
It could have been shock of actually getting injured by the weapon on the expression.
It is the only thing we ever see possessing something in the DMC verse and to be fair, a sword is not what I'd link to possessing another soul really. (Arthas from Warcraft is ignored for this, that sword was cursed from the very start and made for that.) The quote more shows that it's a trap as it impales your heart. Being dead is eternal. I always figured that the statue it was stuck in was the previous person that set off the trap.

And he might have been aware of its significance, else he wouldn't bring FE along.
---