So why is the game selling (relatively) poorly?

#1WiredKnightPosted 2/5/2013 11:32:39 AM
So Capcom just lowered its sales expectation for DMC by 800,000 units. while 1.2 is decent sales it's very low compared to previous DMC titles and certainly low for what was otherwise supposed to be a AAA release.

I ask this seriously, because teh game is (generally) getting good reviews. Admittedly this isn't a ticket to success as Double-Fine can clearly attest to. So the honest question is where did Ninja Theory go wrong that would translate to sales expectations dropping off this much?

I like many fans didn't like the Dante design (still don't to be honest) and decided to wait and give the game a chance once some reviews came in. But what really put me off of getting it was the reviews constantly berrating the juvenile writing (profanity for the sake of profanity) and the themes and tone of the game just being juvenile despite high quality acting and decent world design.

I'm thinking it may be that Ninja Theory did in fact veer too far from the originals in their overall design (demons looking more grotesque than otherworldly) and character designs. This on its own shouldn't do much but I think their attitude towards the angry fanbase was a bad way to manage PR on it. They were handeling a reboot and poorly managed damage control to the detractors. Honestly I have a hard time believing that the angry fans from teh start not buying it are enough to account for a drop in sales estimate by more than 3/4 of a million units. To me it says something else was done wrong.

Though I will admit that apparently the sales are very poor in Japan compared to previous titles in the franchise which frankly doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Western games sell poorly there anyway and that's a country that likely is more unified in detsting the change to Dante.
#2superbowl54Posted 2/5/2013 11:49:48 AM
alot of it comes from word of mouth sadly, and there's no mouths louder than whiny "fans" who can't get over how it's different. Considering that alot of these basement-dwellers make it sound like it's worse than DMC2 and one of the worst games of all time, I'm sure it's changed the minds of a few people who were interested.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#3fesodesPosted 2/5/2013 1:45:24 PM
Its simple really. Capcom and NT were hell bent on not giving their customers what they wanted. The loyal fans of the original DMC series also turned out to be a much larger customer base than they expected. And so needless to say, angering a significant portion of your potential customer base is going to result in less sales.

Furthermore, calling loyal fans names, and making fun of them made things worst. The childish behavior of 'pros' defending the reboot through flaming and insulting fans of the original series isn't helping either.
#4UbberDevilPosted 2/5/2013 1:49:30 PM
Bad timing, too. January release (right after x-mas so people already spent lots of money) and MGR:R is right around the corner. I've also not seen a single commercial for this game on tv. Has that just stopped entirely?
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#5KaptainK00lPosted 2/5/2013 1:49:55 PM
fesodes posted...
Its simple really. Capcom and NT were hell bent on not giving their customers what they wanted. The loyal fans of the original DMC series also turned out to be a much larger customer base than they expected. And so needless to say, angering a significant portion of your potential customer base is going to result in less sales.

Furthermore, calling loyal fans names, and making fun of them made things worst. The childish behavior of 'pros' defending the reboot through flaming and insulting fans of the original series isn't helping either.

Wow. Just wow. You're good at victimizing a group of people, the "loyal fans" definitely reacted to all of this in a civilized and mature way. Not all "loyal fans" were against the idea of a reboot either.
---
GT: iKaptain K00Li
''Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.''
#6fesodesPosted 2/5/2013 2:26:23 PM
KaptainK00l posted...
fesodes posted...

Wow. Just wow. You're good at victimizing a group of people, the "loyal fans" definitely reacted to all of this in a civilized and mature way. Not all "loyal fans" were against the idea of a reboot either.

What you said is reasonable. Let me rephrase then.

"The childish behavior of some 'pros' defending the reboot through flaming and insulting fans of the original series isn't helping either."
#7KaptainK00lPosted 2/5/2013 2:32:37 PM
fesodes posted...
KaptainK00l posted...
fesodes posted...

What you said is reasonable. Let me rephrase then.

"The childish behavior of some 'pros' defending the reboot through flaming and insulting fans of the original series isn't helping either."

I agree with that.
---
GT: iKaptain K00Li
''Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.''
#8Psycko101Posted 2/5/2013 4:08:25 PM
"tone of the game just being juvenile" ??Maybe its just me,but i did find it more juvenile in DMC3 than in this one,tbh.
---
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."-Dr Samuel Johnson
#9WiredKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:39:43 PM
the reason for that comment is two-fold but exemplified by one scene.

Firstly, look at the Adam Sessler review for the game he did recently, it covers that fairly well (keep in midn that the review is otherwise positive save for that issue and combat limitations late game - i.e. the requirement to use certain types of attacks against certain types of enemies).

The scene I refer to is when Dante and one demon are spouting back and forth with "f*** you" followed by a series of vomits. Dante has always been immature but never crass and this game takes crass to new hights (for a DMC game) where it feels like it's trying to be edgy through foul language and grotesque imagry. No subtlty, no nuance just being edgy by throwing things on screen that appear edgy - it's there but without any othe rpurpose.

Now I'm not going to argue that DMC games are deep (they're not) in terms of story. But I never felt like it was trying too hard to appeal to a young edgy crowd. DMC3 admittedly coudl get juvenile at times but at least in terms of design and avoidance of crude humor/images it had more going in style. Look at boss designs - I ahte most of the boss designs in DMC because they're just mishapen sacks of flesh and organs, they are not visually interesting (there are a few exceptions) but the original games (once again wtih a few exceptions) used clever designs and gothic imagrey to create an interesting creature that would be distinct from its other bosses (Beowulf is a favorite boss fight of mine for all games).

This is where my core problem comes with the game presently and why I'm so hesitant to buy it. I know Ninja Theory can write a good story and compelling characters (see Enslaved) but I feel like they tried to dress it up with all sorts of images they thought would appeal to the DMC crowd to make the world and characters interesting. Dante was never a real character (he's too cartoony to feel real) and this was a chance to fix that, but in putting all the language and just angry attitude and "edgy" content I think they managed to bury whatever effort whent into charactarization.

That's what I mean by juvenile. Your milage may vary based on personal taste but this is my takeaway.
#10FantomRellPosted 2/5/2013 4:59:28 PM
I think most people just don't really care about Devil May Cry. The hardcore fans steered clear of this one (some for reasons more legitimate than others), and the general audience is relatively unaware of the brand as a whole.

This game did have a killer demo, though.

The gameplay isn't bad. There's some cool variety because of the awesome weapon switching system. And we do fight more enemies simultaneously than in DMC4.

I just wish the prerelease footage had Dante fighting large groups of enemies, featured the stall combo weapon swaps, and had not been entirely composed of these stupid floaty air climb combos which both suck and are boring to do.

NT made a good game, but it's pretty obvious there's someone high up who works there that doesn't really understand the DMC brand very well.
---
-Rell