So How Come This Board is, Well, Reasonable?

#1Autofire2Posted 2/6/2013 3:32:36 AM
I got onto one of the other boards yesterday after getting DmC on the PC and playing for about an hour. It didn't seem like it would match the testicle tightening hardcore awesomeness of DMC3 but it looked like a worthy addition...certainly better than DMC4 which just couldn't hold my interest even in the first hour.

Then I went onto, I believe, the xbox 360 board? And EVERY OTHER TOPIC is about how DmC sucks and how it serves Capcom right that they're going to lose a ton of money, and that Dante should be beheaded commercially to serve as a warning to future developers, ushering in some kind of "dont mess with your fans" revolution.

I mean, I get that DmC is unlikely to be anyones favorite of the series (if only because 1 and 3 are SO GOOD, like among the classic games of their time) but on this board there actually seem to be real balanced opinions and debate about the game.

Is one version just horrible? Why is everyone on the other board is hating so hard on it? Whatever you might think, you can't possibly objectively believe this game is one of the worst travesties of a generation. Right?
---
Duncan MacLeod: There can be only one.
#2Autofire2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:35:55 AM
I mean, I was on the PS3 board lol. THIS is the 360 board.
---
#3vgplaya89Posted 2/6/2013 7:25:16 AM
Not sure exactly. Sony fanboys tend to be more blind and rabid, imo. this is actually my 2nd favorite of the series, next to 3. lol. I really hope we get at least one sequel, this new series has so much potential. it'd be a shame to see it cut down after the first iteration.
---
Life's simple; you make choices and you dont look back...
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Kokonoe-/bieber.gif
#4superbowl54Posted 2/6/2013 8:59:00 AM
vgplaya89 posted...
Not sure exactly. Sony fanboys tend to be more blind and rabid, imo. this is actually my 2nd favorite of the series, next to 3. lol. I really hope we get at least one sequel, this new series has so much potential. it'd be a shame to see it cut down after the first iteration.

this

those rabid haters make me hope there's never a DMC5. DmC has alot of potential for a fun series.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#5KuzuryuSubaruPosted 2/6/2013 9:10:57 AM
vgplaya89 posted...

Its because Sony got DMC 1,2 and 3. Sony shared DMC 4 with the 360, so X-BOX gamers don't have the same feeling towards DMC that the Sony fans do.

How would you feel if Halo was given the DmC treatment? Where Master Chief wears black armor, shouts and curses, there are less weapons, the game is 40% cutscenes and Legendary is Halo 4's Normal difficulty? You could call it HcE Halo: Combat Evolved. And the secret ending shows that Master Chief is actually Tameem.
---
Waiting for God Eater 2, FF Type-0 English release, Gundam Extreme VS for Vita, Watch Dogs
#6vgplaya89Posted 2/6/2013 10:24:47 AM(edited)
I would like that actually, especially if they went out and said it was completely unrelated to the original series.

Hal, from a story and character standpoint, is boring as all hell to me. I just play for the gameplay and the multiplayer.

and this is coming from someone who's played all of them besides ODST and 4.

I was actually a Sony guy until I got a 360, and felt like I had no reason to buy a PS3 after FF and DMC with multiplatform. also, I played nearly all of the DMC games, when they originally came out.

people have found something to b**** about in all of them since 2. even 3.

with DMC2 it was completely warranted. though I dont share the same hate most people do, since it was my introduction to the DMC series.

people b****ed that DMC3 was too hard the original came out. then the hardcores b****ed about the SE lowering the difficulty.

people b****ed about DMC4 before and when it came out for going multiplatform and having Nero. then the fact that it was basically half a game.

Sony fanboys, and the DMC fanbase at large, is borderline unpleasable and insufferable sometimes, and I really don't give a f*** about their nostalgia.

Bayonetta was the best DMC game anyway.
---
Life's simple; you make choices and you dont look back...
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Kokonoe-/bieber.gif
#7boolzeroPosted 2/6/2013 10:36:21 AM
KuzuryuSubaru posted...
vgplaya89 posted...

Its because Sony got DMC 1,2 and 3. Sony shared DMC 4 with the 360, so X-BOX gamers don't have the same feeling towards DMC that the Sony fans do.

How would you feel if Halo was given the DmC treatment? Where Master Chief wears black armor, shouts and curses, there are less weapons, the game is 40% cutscenes and Legendary is Halo 4's Normal difficulty? You could call it HcE Halo: Combat Evolved. And the secret ending shows that Master Chief is actually Tameem.

There are too many assumptions in this comment to be taken seriously. The first assumption is that Xbox gamers and PS gamers are exclusionary and don't encompass on or the other. Gamers typically (especially fans) are far more likely multi console owners rather than solitary console owners. So to assume that one camp is seperate from the other is silly. Many Xbox and Xbox 360 games were Playstation gamers; they didn't just sprout up over night in some corn field with a controller in their hand and a hankering to play games! Like with most consoles, the founding demographic are gamers from previous generations, not new first time console owners.

Second, that DMC was exclusive, as it wasn't. It was not published on another console originally, but it had no exclusivity contract to limit it or anchor it to the Sony brand, much like most of the games in the PS era that are assumed exclusives. It could have been published elsewhere, but wasn't, and Sony not trying to obtain exclusivity when the then new consoles arrived was no ones fault. If they had already owned the series (exclusively), do you think it would have been multi-platform this generation?

Third, your aggrevious attempt at claiming the dramatic shift in direction of the game. Your attempt is too extreme and doesn't fairly represent the issue here. This game is very much DMC, almost to a caricature of it. In fact, I would dare say the major problem with this game is not that it strays from "what worked" but rather fully embraces it to a fault, which is why so many are having a problem with identifying the wrong turn this one has taken. This game further exemplifies the lack of character Dante is (as he is a caricature), the forced "I'm cool" factor that the original game tried to shove down the players face. Sessler's review really does encompass a lot of the enherit problems with the game, and I would also go as far to say, the series as a whole.

Lastly, I think it is a matter of gamers moving on and their tastes maturing in some respects. You can't shovel the same vapid character with a shiny new wrapper and the same shallow depth, poor writing, forced "I'm a BA" attitude and inane world and fun but irritatingly restrictive combat mechanics and expect the same audience to eat it up just because its a new entrant in the ongoing beloved established series.

Personally I like the game for what it is but I make no defenses for it... It makes steps forward and takes steps back for the series.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#8boolzeroPosted 2/6/2013 10:42:50 AM
vgplaya89 posted...

Bayonetta was the best DMC game anyway.

Quote of the day! Funny and true!
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#9PhardwickPosted 2/6/2013 11:18:54 AM
I'm a PS3 owner and I hate going to ps3 boards. If a game is released on ps3 and 360, I usually go to the 360 board for advise and other people's thoughts on the game. Next Gen I'm probably gonna go with an Xbox unless the new MGS games are playstation exclusive
---
Give Twisted Metal some love
#10Autofire2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:29:08 PM
LOL at the bayo quote. Yeah Bayonetta to me is RIGHT up there with DMC3 as "greatest DMC game".

Polish and style goes to Bayo, challenge goes to DMC3. I finished both of them on the hardest difficulty (not that it's super hard in bayo but some parts are tricky especially the super secret fight.)

So yeah, I don't think this game is as good as either of those two but there's a WORLD of difference between "not quite as good as the absolute pinnacles of the genre" and "trash". It's very slick, its got a lot going on combo-wise (Honestly always felt that the ridiculous style requirements in DMC3 took away from the fun rather than added to it), a lot to collect, likeable peeps, decent story (so far) BRILLIANT environments, and I even like most of the soundtrack.

I mean the bosses do kind of suck (in that they're not hard enough) and the challenge generally could be greater (playing on Nephelim) but its absolutely not the hopeless game the other board led me to expect. I mean I'm playing on the PC, which means it runs like silk...possibly that's an advantage.
---