So is everyone just bored with slow zombies?

#1MazryonhPosted 2/10/2012 7:46:39 PM(edited)
With the massive success of RE4, 5, and the Left 4 Dead series (all of which feature lots of fast-moving enemies out for your blood), are the original slow zombies of RE1 or the REmake just not scary anymore?

And before you tell me "Capcom's Dead Rising series features lots of slow zombies!" remember that in that series they're not the real threat. The psychopaths are. In fact, the zombies in Dead Rising are more comic relief than anything, given how you can slap masks on them, throw pies/paint buckets/shower heads at them, take funny pictures of them, or eat them up en masse by using constructed/improvised weapons. Furthermore, health items are all easily obtainable.

I have to wonder if any of the RE-4-5-6 generation here could stomach playing through the REmake and its slow zombies if they ever make it available on the PS3 or Xbox360. Would they complain that "Jill and Chris are soooo slow"? Or that "why can't I get more ammo"? Or that "these zombies are too easy to dodge"? Or maybe "why can't I bust out some cool melee moves?"

I guess it's only human nature to overcome (or become accustomed) to things that are scary in most cases (barring PTSD or the like). But in what ways could slow zombies become scary again in the RE series?
---
An Angel yet sleeps / The stars await their savior / The Nexus shines still.
http://youtu.be/BhZQEvg1V0Y
#2JunDagekiPosted 2/10/2012 7:41:27 PM(edited)
RE4 and RE5 enemies were laughable compared to the slow zombies from previous RE.

RE4 and RE5 ganados and majini were so dumb that you can have fun with them by making them dance while shooting their arms and legs. they run at you sure, but then they stupidly stop just to look at you and like 3 seconds later they make action. never wondered how you can battle against 15 enemies with just one character that has a knife and still manage to kill them all? that's how stupid they are.

also i find slow zombies the best when it comes to horror compared to the running ones.
---
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
#3edward18Posted 2/10/2012 7:31:59 PM
Well zombies were never the main threat in RE either. It was things like Hunters and Tyrants and B.O.W.s that were actually designed as efficient killing machines.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#4ShyOxPosted 2/10/2012 8:59:38 PM
Zombies were jsut numerous and could catch you off guard if you weren't watching your supplies well enough, and just to run you down in general.
---
(9:20)AdmiralPiett: Intensify firewall security!
(9:20)MoffJerjerrod: Too late!
#5LtRickGreyPosted 2/10/2012 10:23:31 PM
Jun plays re4 and 5 on the super casual difficulty huh? Run through 5 without infinite ammo on pro mode and tell me how easy that is.
#6GoldsicklePosted 2/10/2012 10:31:21 PM
When they were making RE4, they actually made a version that has zombies but the producers were tired of it and said to themselves "No more zombies!".

So you see, the developers themselves got bored.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#7JunDagekiPosted 2/11/2012 12:27:04 AM

Jun plays re4 and 5 on the super casual difficulty huh? Run through 5 without infinite ammo on pro mode and tell me how easy that is.

you' re a couple years too late to challenge me, i've already done all that, its hard for the first chapters but its an unlockable not the actual game difficulty. also the main reason of difficulty of it is the damage buff. pretty much 1 or 2 hits and you are already in danger near death.

Also im not talking about difficulty of the games, the behavior of the enemies wont change when you change difficulty...
---
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
#8Plant42Posted 2/11/2012 1:06:36 AM
RE5 had probably the dumbest collection of enemies in the entire series. They were actually smarter and more aggressive in 4 which is sad.
#9sehr0Posted 2/11/2012 2:14:04 AM(edited)
they are making the zombies better in RE6.you didnt see the trailer?
#10edward18Posted 2/11/2012 7:19:17 AM
Screw the developers.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai