WHere Capcom should have went with the plot

#1Matman3030Posted 3/12/2012 6:52:43 PM
I was thinking today why didn't Resident Evil just advance there original plot? I mean they made 7 games that took place in a years time then with 4 & 5 just started creating random loosely affiliated plots, in the case of 4 really loosely affiliated, which took place several years later.

All they had to do was expand on the plot- the outbreak should have continued to escalate just like every zombie movie sequel. They could have followed the same characters seeking refuge and gathering survivors all while Umbrella would be still trying to eliminate the remaining survivors that know the truth.

The plots would have really written themselves.
#2Mister_ZurkonPosted 3/12/2012 7:20:01 PM
That's what the live actions movies are.

I think I'd rather have RE5 than Re5ident Evil: Retribution.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#3Matman3030(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2012 7:51:16 PM
Live action movies are terrible though, I couldn't get through the second one. I am sure it has been done, I was thinking more along the lines of Romero's movies with a bit of Umbrella. Could have had some twists about who is really controlling umbrella.

Anything would be better than the find the presidents daughter plotline
#4AgentX7kPosted 3/12/2012 8:13:47 PM
I've personally never seen a more terrible plot. In terms of continuity and overall arc. I mean they started with 1, then there's the 'Where's Chris Trilogy' (2,3,CV), each of those ending with 'let's take down Umbrella'. Then Capcom goes with the 'Wuss Out Trilogy' (REmake, 0, 4) where they remake the original, get a prequel to that and when it's finally time to address the build up they wipe out the bad guys in a prologue. Be like if Return of the Jedi started out with 'So after the Death Star business The Empire lost their corporate funding and had to shut down, Darth Vadar went to prison and Luke became a Jedi, now let's follow Lando on his mission to take down the Hutt clan.'

And after they realised their blunder they pathetically try to sew it back together with Umbrella Chronicles (which is like 95% remaining with a dollop of original story) and RE5.
#5Mister_ZurkonPosted 3/12/2012 9:24:59 PM(edited)
AgentX7k posted...
I've personally never seen a more terrible plot. In terms of continuity and overall arc. I mean they started with 1, then there's the 'Where's Chris Trilogy' (2,3,CV), each of those ending with 'let's take down Umbrella'. Then Capcom goes with the 'Wuss Out Trilogy' (REmake, 0, 4) where they remake the original, get a prequel to that and when it's finally time to address the build up they wipe out the bad guys in a prologue. Be like if Return of the Jedi started out with 'So after the Death Star business The Empire lost their corporate funding and had to shut down, Darth Vadar went to prison and Luke became a Jedi, now let's follow Lando on his mission to take down the Hutt clan.'

And after they realised their blunder they pathetically try to sew it back together with Umbrella Chronicles (which is like 95% remaining with a dollop of original story) and RE5.

You seem to be missing the point of the intro to 4.

It wasn't to suddenly end everything, it was to tidy up the loose ends and impossible to close elements and make Wesker the sole entity representing umbrella, leading to a tangible foe instead of a vague force. UC on the other hand immediately ***** it up and transforms Wesker into the Umbrella Killing Mary Sue that took out all of Umbrella almost singlehandedly, Including Lisa.

EDIT: UC was like if Boba Fett flew out of the Pit and Killed Darth and Paplatine and was suddenly strong enough to punch out Luke.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#6Matman3030(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2012 10:35:32 PM
Nice summary- like the analogies. Although I disagree about tidying things up in 4. Instead of the lame presidents daughter plot why not...

After realizing the T & G viruses were failures Umbrella starts to develop a new virus- realizing a parasite is more suitable after drawing conclusions from the T-Veronica experiments.

Remaining STARS along with Leon or Claire head to Umbrella headquarters to take on Umbrella- Some of the Stars are captured others are NPC's.

Or if you use the exact game that 4 was...

Claire has gone to this strange spanish village on a lead about the whereabouts of Umbrella's headquarters and calls on Leon in Distress. Game ensues-- Krauser is also someone relevant to the game. It is also revealed that Ada has been working with Wesker all along from within Umbrella in over to overtake it. It turns out they are the ones responsible for this new parasite using the village and Salazar etc. as test subjects.

There is a betrayal between Ada and Wesker as it is revealed that Wesker's loyalties are truly with Umbrella and Spenser who along with William Birkin were the founders of Umbrella. Stage is set for the final showdown with Umbrella + Wesker + Spencer in RE5.
#7Mister_ZurkonPosted 3/12/2012 11:58:51 PM
Matman3030 posted...
Nice summary- like the analogies. Although I disagree about tidying things up in 4. Instead of the lame presidents daughter plot why not...

After realizing the T & G viruses were failures Umbrella starts to develop a new virus- realizing a parasite is more suitable after drawing conclusions from the T-Veronica experiments.

Remaining STARS along with Leon or Claire head to Umbrella headquarters to take on Umbrella- Some of the Stars are captured others are NPC's.

Or if you use the exact game that 4 was...

Claire has gone to this strange spanish village on a lead about the whereabouts of Umbrella's headquarters and calls on Leon in Distress. Game ensues-- Krauser is also someone relevant to the game. It is also revealed that Ada has been working with Wesker all along from within Umbrella in over to overtake it. It turns out they are the ones responsible for this new parasite using the village and Salazar etc. as test subjects.

There is a betrayal between Ada and Wesker as it is revealed that Wesker's loyalties are truly with Umbrella and Spenser who along with William Birkin were the founders of Umbrella. Stage is set for the final showdown with Umbrella + Wesker + Spencer in RE5.

My guess would be that Mikami didn't want RE to suffer from "The Chris Carter Effect" and "Cut the losses' with umbrella and instead turned RE4 into a "Monster of the Week" episode with a vague arc in the back ground...

Which after his departure they immediately ran right back into the convoluted umbrella arc and made it even more complex and idiotic than before with UC and an even less satisfying climax with RE5.
---
#8Mister_ZurkonPosted 3/13/2012 12:15:36 AM(edited)
In other words.

Mikami knew the fans would never be happy with any conclusion to the Umbrella Arc (As Proven with UC and 5) so he decided to shift the focus of the series from "Evil Medical Company" to "various groups using BOW's" to make the series more palatable to new comers and soothing the loss of Umbrella by Keeping Wesker around...

Which they Immediately Ruined that with UC by re-opening the fans "Umbrella Wounds" and rubbing stupidity salt inside the wounds, and giving Wesker "Matrix" powers was probably not the best way to make the Climax to the Umbrella story interesting...

Though they have seemed to learned their lessons from UC and 5 because Revelations had almost NOTHING to do with Umbrella, and 6 appears to be stand alone also.
---
#9heartlesshero17Posted 3/13/2012 9:59:27 AM
EDIT: UC was like if Boba Fett flew out of the Pit and Killed Darth and Paplatine and was suddenly strong enough to punch out Luke.

Lmao
---
Since I know I can be honest with you, I'll admit I got a little sulky. It was frowns all around
-Lord Ghirahim
#10randyc80Posted 3/13/2012 1:46:33 PM
Matman3030 posted...

Just wanted to point out that Birkin and Wesker weren't Umbrella founders. Umbrella was founded by Ozwell Spencer, Edward Ashford, and James Marcus. They discovered the Progenitor virus together and then Spencer had the idea of forming Umbrella.