Is Capcom just that lazy with the NPCs these days?

#1CarnageElitePosted 4/23/2012 5:48:30 AM
It seems like all they want to do for supporting characters is throw in some generic BSAA characters to be killed off. It's sad that I can't really even remember most of their names from RE5.
#2Doom_InfinitePosted 4/23/2012 6:12:12 AM
Yeah I agree, RE5 lacked good npc's even Josh arguable the most developed was utterly forgettable and not particularly likable either.
---
I am yours to command, point out our foes and step out of my way. - Adam, Shining Force
#3Nero_DMCPosted 4/23/2012 6:14:29 AM
Npcs sucked in re4 and re5.

They were good only in the classics espeecially cvx and re3 even I guess (nicholaii)

Re6s Piers looks sexy tho the rest of the team looks eh
#4Doom_InfinitePosted 4/23/2012 7:04:40 AM
Nero_DMC posted...

They were good only in the classics espeecially cvx and re3 even I guess (nicholaii)

I disagree, Luis was awesome in RE4.
---
I am yours to command, point out our foes and step out of my way. - Adam, Shining Force
#5CleggyUpdaterPosted 4/23/2012 8:37:51 AM
Strangely, Kendo from RE2 and Dario from RE3 still made me feel some slight emotion when they were killed, even if they were only in the game for 5 minutes and were essentially just throwaway characters. Maybe it's because they were more like normal people. I just can't relate with generic soldier guy #23 and I didn't really give a crap when they died in RE5.

The NPCs in RE4 weren't that bad though. Luis was quite well-developed and even Mike the chopper pilot was likable.
---
#hash4faqs Let's get it trending!
#6Plant42Posted 4/23/2012 8:44:01 AM
I liked all the NPCs in RE4. The villains were either cool or just plain funny and Luis was pretty good. They sucked in RE5 though. Every character sucked besides Chris, Jill, Wesker and Josh. Irving was the closest thing to an enjoyable antagonist.
#7Nero_DMCPosted 4/23/2012 2:47:10 PM
Doom_Infinite posted...
Nero_DMC posted...

Abt it. But the rest of re4s cast sucked **** save leon of course.
#8gamestop27Posted 4/23/2012 2:53:07 PM
even Mike the chopper pilot was likable.

"I know a good bar" *dies*
---
In the future all Japanese video game franchises will be outsourced to a western developer.
#9Doom_InfinitePosted 4/23/2012 5:58:25 PM
Nero_DMC posted...
Doom_Infinite posted...
Nero_DMC posted...

Abt it. But the rest of re4s cast sucked **** save leon of course.

Frankly I liked the villains, Mendez, Salazar, Krauser and Saddler, all had their moments making them memorable.
---
#10randyc80Posted 4/23/2012 6:27:03 PM
I really don't think the characters in RE4 or RE5 are less interesting than previous games in ths series. I think it probably has more to do with which games in the series you prefer. Because you are attached to the game, you just naturally attach to the characters in the game as well.

Personally, I love Bravo Team, but I care just as much about Sherry, Ada, and Luis. Then there is a tier of characters like Josh and Carlos that I like, but I am fine if they never show up again. Then you have the rest - Ben (from RE2), Nicholai, Dario, random BSAA agents...these are characters that mean very little to me at all.

I really think it just comes down to personal experience and choice, it's not that the characters are any better or worse than they used to be.