This is the worst board on GFAQS, RE4 RUINED RESI?! WTF?!?!!!

#1Azz_VacunaPosted 6/24/2012 7:40:25 AM
All these complaints, all this nostalgia longing, it's unbelievable.

Resident Evil is by no means ruined and was DEFINITELY not ruined by RE4. Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil game and one of the best games ever made imo. And this is someone who believe you me was the biggest Resident Evil fan as a kid, when the old RE games were out. I loved every single one of them. The stories, the settings, the sound the characters made running up the stairs; Resident Evil was probably my favourite game series of many when I was a kid.

Code Veronica blew my mind and I remember solving the painting puzzle at my friend's house because he had a Dreamcast and I didn't and he'd been stuck on the puzzle for so long that, once I figured it out, we were all going crazy... until we got to on the plane with the BOW and had barely any ammo. We had to restart the entire game again, but it was all part of the fun. The characters in Code Veronica were awesome and I really loved Steve because, as a kid, I think everyone was in love with the kickass Claire Redfield so you were really living vicariously through him as this young kid caught up in the madness. All the old Resident Evil games were brilliant.

But never was the writing incredible. Never were the characters incredibly fleshed out and brilliant (besides Steve who people here seem to dislike for some reason). Never was the story fantastic. But, most importantly of all, the games weren't great. There wasn't really much strategy to anything, besides ammo conservation and running around then shooting. The games were very limited in terms of what your characters were capable of, there was no jump button or roll or anything. But the game designers worked within those limitations and built the games on atmosphere and story, so your heart was really pounding when you got just enough space between you and the tyrant to get a shot off.

Those limitations are lifted. In RE4, the shackles were off and your character could do so much more and what unfolded is one of the best video games ever that I am so incredibly shocked to see people here slagging off saying it ruined the previous Resi's, wasn't about scares and was about dumb action. I think this is just so very wrong. RE4 maintains everything that made the previous Resi's great whilst adding so much; in terms of expanding upon the inventory system in a truly exceptional way, the way the different weapons all worked and the variety of RPG elements involved, to the varieties of enemies presented and the ways in which to kill them. It wasn't just turn and shoot anymore. They took all this and what follows is probably the best level design of the past 10 years.

The storyline was reasonably self contained, though you had the Ada and Wesker parts to reignite the overarcing plot. In no way is this a detriment.

RE5 was not great because it didn't maintain a lot of the great elements RE4 had utilised. The inventory was dumbed down but worse was the RPG system being completely mutated bizarrely. Weapons had generic names and you could barely tell how far was needed to max one's stats out which is just inexplicably awful. The half co-op half single-player meant the game couldn't completely utilise the co-op to it's fullest, such as splitting the characters up for big sections or having protection sections as strong as RE4's. But whilst RE5 did a lot of things wrong, it was still a fun game and one of the better ones this gen.

I just can't believe this board's views on Resi. Yes the old games were great but the new ones are too, ESPECIALLY 4. I understand problems with 5 but let's have a little faith that 6 is going to be more of a return to form and slag it off afterwards when it's worse than 5 shall we?
---
Playstation Network name thing: VoltVacuna
#2Doober2Posted 6/24/2012 7:50:53 AM(edited)
Cba reading your post, but I agree with RE4 not ruining the series.

I disagree with anything to do with nostalgia though, I only got into the RE games before RE5 about 6 months ago (played RE5 about 2 years ago). I loved RE4, but I'd rate RE3 higher and RE2 only slightly below RE4, and I'd rate RE5 near the bottom of the ones I played.
---
Run, you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#3largerockPosted 6/24/2012 7:49:35 AM
You shoulda put a warning for wall of text.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#4GoldsicklePosted 6/24/2012 7:56:46 AM
The one who talks about "RE4 ruining the series" is one, lone, Luddite troll who keeps posting about it whenever he has the chance.

Don't let this one loud troll confuse you about the general reception of this forum.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#5VegantoKeensPosted 6/24/2012 8:03:21 AM(edited)
I in no way think RE4 ruined the series, but I don't understand why a series called Resident EVIL, once the survival horror king, moves away so far from horror, while it's not like the horror genre is over saturated in any way. They choose to go more to a market that IS the most oversaturated genre of the past 5 years or more. Capcom makes enough action games, hell DMC was born out of a too action oriented RE4 alpha.

Keep at least some variation, not every cutscene has to be a Micheal Bay movie. Put some damn atmosphere in, keep that feeling of seclusion and suspence. LiN and Revelations show they still have it. Hell Dead Space did a way better job than RE5 using the same gameplay. Did everyone in the RE team suddenly lose half their talent (aside from the three main talented employees of Capcom leaving)?
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake SS FC = 2194 1693 8198
#6mr_metalhead666Posted 6/24/2012 8:06:43 AM
Everything TC said...

http://i.imgur.com/2ppNZ.gif
---
Killing is my Business..........And Business is Good
#7millimaynePosted 6/24/2012 8:08:52 AM
The worst thing about RE4 to me, is that it could have been THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kwX0LZAc

Still updated gameplay and different feel, but same classic RE horror. Thankfully Revelations and Leon's part in RE6 give me some hope RE can still be suspenseful.
---
"It's official, you SU-" *bam!* The last words of Shao Khan before getting Liu Kang'd
#8Spade59Posted 6/24/2012 8:11:49 AM
RE4 was acceptable. I overlooked it's lack of RE elements and linearity because of what it did for the franchise. It was, at the time, very fun to play - Resident Evil or not.

RE5 was unacceptable. It had been surpassed by many other action titles upon release and felt nothing but clunky and boring. Atmosphere and puzzles were gone, even they were present in RE4.
I s*** on this game with a passion.
#9Doober2Posted 6/24/2012 8:13:12 AM
millimayne posted...
The worst thing about RE4 to me, is that it could have been THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kwX0LZAc

Still updated gameplay and different feel, but same classic RE horror. Thankfully Revelations and Leon's part in RE6 give me some hope RE can still be suspenseful.

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks that looks crap compared to what we got.

Maybe it's the hookman fight bit, looks bloody awful
---
#10Doober2Posted 6/24/2012 8:16:16 AM
Spade59 posted...
RE4 was acceptable. I overlooked it's lack of RE elements and linearity because of what it did for the franchise. It was, at the time, very fun to play - Resident Evil or not.

RE5 was unacceptable. It had been surpassed by many other action titles upon release and felt nothing but clunky and boring. Atmosphere and puzzles were gone, even they were present in RE4.
I s*** on this game with a passion.

Where they? I think I remember 2 in RE4, one of which was done in RE5 (the light / laser shining thing).

But yeah, I agree with RE5 just being a sub par action game, the worry is, RE6 may be in the same category, but time will tell.
---