Anyone else wondering why so many enemies have guns

#1CoiledViperPosted 7/18/2012 5:53:25 AM
I think this game is cool and everything and will buy, no doubt. I enjoy the characters, the plot of BOW's and terrorism. I'm sure the arguement has been made before, but here's my take on it.

Holy crap, if you were to play RE1 then RE6, you wouldn't even know it was in the same series besides Chris... I was just looking at Jake and Chris' section of the demo and can't help but think this is way off base. We've gone from shooting zombies in horror movie settings, to having shootouts in military (destroyed european town) and action movie settings (hong kong anyone?). Sometimes the enemies mutuate in creatures... doesn't change the fact this game still looks like a conventional shooter (max payne-esque diving anyone?).

I am going to continue to play and watch the series develop, but I guess the fact just kicked in for me, the series is becoming something else entirely. I can't just say Leon's section stays true to the original and say this game as a whole relates to the classics.

I feel like sequels should be a variation or enhancement of the original, not variations or enhancements OF THE SEQUELS.
---
"Don't cross the line, because if you do, you'll have crossed me. I promise punishment will follow." -myself
#2N00B2000Posted 7/18/2012 6:08:47 AM
There is actually a narrative reason. These are B.O.Ws, not zombies. They are what was trying to be created in the first place. intelligent B.O.Ws who are more human than monster and can think for themselves. They are essentially mini Weskers/Krausers.
#3SSJ2_WookiePosted 7/18/2012 6:29:42 AM
What NOOb said
---
PSN: XtremeDreamer11
#4CoiledViper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 3:59:13 PM
That may be true guys, but isn't anyone just a bit concerned we are drifting too far off our source material?
---
"Don't cross the line, because if you do, you'll have crossed me. I promise punishment will follow." -myself
#5MadigariPosted 7/18/2012 4:03:38 PM
CoiledViper posted...
That may be true guys, but isn't anyone just a bit concerned we are drifting too far off our source material?

What is the source material, again? Just for clarification, I'm wondering what you feel we're drifting too far away from.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my originality the most.
#6edward18Posted 7/18/2012 4:09:28 PM
Just cause they're B.O.W.s doesn't mean they should all have guns and crap. In war-like areas there should be Hunters and all sorts of other animal-created B.O.W.s that tear at you with their teeth and claws, not just humanoid infectis everywhere.

And TC, this is why I don't like that the gameplay changed. It simply did not stay consistent. When I play Mega Man 1 I expect Mega Man 9 to play like it. Same with this situation.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#7N00B2000Posted 7/18/2012 4:12:27 PM
edward18 posted...
Just cause they're B.O.W.s doesn't mean they should all have guns and crap. In war-like areas there should be Hunters and all sorts of other animal-created B.O.W.s that tear at you with their teeth and claws, not just humanoid infectis everywhere.

And TC, this is why I don't like that the gameplay changed. It simply did not stay consistent. When I play Mega Man 1 I expect Mega Man 9 to play like it. Same with this situation.

So you expect the games to never change, and that every sequel should be the exact same as the games that come before it?

Eddy, you ever get an IQ test buddy?
#8edward18Posted 7/18/2012 4:13:18 PM
I scored above average on all the ones I've taken. And yes, if something is a sequel it should play like its predecessor.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#9MadigariPosted 7/18/2012 4:15:15 PM
edward18 posted...

Except that was never their goal, to only work on animals. You're applying your own personal dictum, when it was never once actually recognized by the canon story. Their goal, as evidenced by Tyrant, was -always- to make superior lifeforms that almost -always- had humanoid behaviors and appearances, up to and including using guns. I never once hear people say, "Oh my god, Nemesis has a rocket launcher! The series is dead because man-made weapons were used by the enemies!"

And it's fine if you don't like the gameplay. No one is suggesting that you have to. But that has little to do with whether or not the B.O.W.s should use guns.

But, to be fair, you -do- like the gameplay. You've already acknowledged that you like RE4 and that it's a good game, without the Resident Evil name. You just don't like it as a Resident Evil game.
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my originality the most.
#10edward18Posted 7/18/2012 4:21:24 PM
Except that was never their goal, to only work on animals.

Never said nor implied it wasn't.

Their goal, as evidenced by Tyrant, was -always- to make superior lifeforms that almost -always- had humanoid behaviors and appearances, up to and including using guns.

Cause lizard men really are humanoid...

I never once hear people say, "Oh my god, Nemesis has a rocket launcher! The series is dead because man-made weapons were used by the enemies!"

That isn't making the entire city filled with enemies that can shoot you, that's arguably the best B.O.W. ever created that was doing that.

And it's fine if you don't like the gameplay. No one is suggesting that you have to. But that has little to do with whether or not the B.O.W.s should use guns.

I know.

But, to be fair, you -do- like the gameplay.

I haven't played 6. I don't know if I do or don't.

You've already acknowledged that you like RE4 and that it's a good game, without the Resident Evil name. You just don't like it as a Resident Evil game.

Correct.
---