Which would you rather see in future games? Super Alice or gay romance?

#21LeonPliskenPosted 9/25/2012 6:53:19 PM
Honey-Boy posted...
LeonPlisken posted...
Saying that you'll immediately get a stereotype doesn't really follow suit, I mean Sheva and Josh were two of the first real main series black characters to show up and neither of them were stereotype slinging sassy black people, they were just... people.

How to write a believable gay soldier; Have him mention, "I hope I make it home to see -male name- through all of this." Then never really address it again. You've established there's a man he cares about, that's back home waiting for him, and now your character has to get back to being stressed out over... I dunno, zombies and the tyrants.

i still dont see how this makes the character more interesting or how this will enhance the gameplay. just looks like a lame attempt to shoe-horn in a pointlessly gay character. if he must be gay, it should serve the plot. there is no real reason for it here other that shock value i guess.

please don't become a writer.

Your logic doesn't work though, his sexuality must serve a purpose to the plot? So all of these heterosexual characters orientations have served an immense purpose to the plot?

Its not about serving a purpose, its about adding depth, personality, and substance to characters. Like when you learn about how a character in ME likes to watch shuttles to calm himself, or that Claire and Chris like to restore old bikes when they got to spend time together, etc. Not every aspect of a character is key to the plot, because if we had to do that... then we'd either have stupidly shallow characters, or I'd need to know if Chris's ability to make a sandwich or not has some effect on the out come of the state of the world.
---
Sandbox Zombie game with RPG elements and heavy character customization and equipment farming set in modern day. My ideal game.
#22Honey-BoyPosted 9/25/2012 7:01:50 PM
yes

it must serve the plot in the instance of good fiction writing.

also, citing mass effect as an example isnt helping your cause because that was a poorly written and boring game. pretentious too.
#23Mister_ZurkonPosted 9/25/2012 7:02:52 PM
You mean another Gay romance right?

Chrisker never dies.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#24LeonPliskenPosted 9/25/2012 7:04:25 PM
Honey-Boy posted...
yes

also, citing mass effect as an example isnt helping your cause because that was a poorly written and boring game. pretentious too.

You also argued that romance and sexuality bare little to no real part on the plot of Resident Evil, what would it change to have the character be gay? Its not like you'd have to see two men make love, you'd simply know that the character has a fiance that is the same gender as him.

The only heterosexually related plot devices I can think of are, "Dude going to save female." Also, what if the place his lover lives is one of the nations that are under threat of attack, there we go, instant motivation.
---
Sandbox Zombie game with RPG elements and heavy character customization and equipment farming set in modern day. My ideal game.
#25orpheus_telos84Posted 9/25/2012 7:06:13 PM
No homolust pls. I rather find out what happens next in the story WITHOUT having the gay agenda forced on me.
---
I like FFXIII. Doing full-speed Cutback Drop Turns since 1996.
:::...PSN and Steam: extintion84...:::
#26PainesnewnamePosted 9/25/2012 7:08:39 PM
Quote:No homolust pls. I rather find out what happens next in the story WITHOUT having the gay agenda forced on me.
@orpheus_telos84

That damned gay agenda.
---
Mass production.....?
.........RIDICULOUS!
#27LeonPliskenPosted 9/25/2012 7:08:43 PM
orpheus_telos84 posted...
No homolust pls. I rather find out what happens next in the story WITHOUT having the gay agenda forced on me.

Again, this logic would dictate that a character being straight means there's a straight agenda. No one's forcing you to be gay, to love gays, etc. The character would be a strong male lead, that can kick ass just as much as Chris and Leon, he just swings for the other team. I see no indication on how this would make him a horrible character.
---
#28orpheus_telos84Posted 9/25/2012 7:10:34 PM
LeonPlisken posted...
orpheus_telos84 posted...

Again, this logic would dictate that a character being straight means there's a straight agenda. No one's forcing you to be gay, to love gays, etc. The character would be a strong male lead, that can kick ass just as much as Chris and Leon, he just swings for the other team. I see no indication on how this would make him a horrible character.

If it is only mentioned or implied that's fine but i don't wanna see dudes kissing dudes.
---
I like FFXIII. Doing full-speed Cutback Drop Turns since 1996.
:::...PSN and Steam: extintion84...:::
#29Honey-BoyPosted 9/25/2012 7:13:49 PM
LeonPlisken posted...
Honey-Boy posted...
yes

You also argued that romance and sexuality bare little to no real part on the plot of Resident Evil, what would it change to have the character be gay? Its not like you'd have to see two men make love, you'd simply know that the character has a fiance that is the same gender as him.

The only heterosexually related plot devices I can think of are, "Dude going to save female." Also, what if the place his lover lives is one of the nations that are under threat of attack, there we go, instant motivation.

go play kingdom hearts
#30DetBeauregardPosted 9/25/2012 7:14:48 PM
I really don't understand all the controversy about this. In the rare cases where a character's sexual preference in a game actually matters, can't gay people just pretend the straight character is gay? Why is it even a big deal?

Let's just face the facts here - the majority of people in the world are straight. I don't understand why some gay people think that everything needs to cater to them. They're the minority, and they need to deal with that fact.