Why is this game no longer scary?

#101spectermaster14Posted 10/4/2012 3:39:35 PM
If growing up stops horror fiction from being scary then why bother making horror fiction in the first place since it's a largely adult genre?

Yeah, it's a stupid reason. Stop using it.

Age doesn't render all fear irrelevant. It just makes goofy monsters and zombies less terrifying than they were when you were eight years old. There's plenty of eerie and downright scary horror out there. It's just that, chances are, most of the examples you'll find won't involve rubber suits and Corman-esque monsters. Something like The Strangers jumps to mind. Zombies aren't scary, psychopaths - and I mean real psychos, not supernatual slashers - breaking into your home and hunting you for fun is something that can be related to.
#102Birth_By_SorrowPosted 10/4/2012 3:40:10 PM
spectermaster14 posted...
The grew up excuse is pathetic!
Its the same with silent hill games, the companies are aiming for the morons who like stupid CoD games, giving you nothing to get scared about!

Go play Lone survivor, silent hill 1 to 3, re 1 to 3, hell, even apresite eve 1 and 2 make you go "oh crap whats gonna hapen next" if you replay them now!

In the new re games you go..."oh hey more things to shoot at with my neverending surplus of ammo...nothing to get worried about!"

I didn't think I could see something this stupid on the internet, but here we are.

No, seriously, all dumb ass "HURR COOOOOOD" nonsense aside, people grew up, that's genuinely all there is to it. There is nothing scary about the old games. Silent Hill? Absolutely, if only for the psychological aspect. RE? Unless you're scared by pixelated monsters and loud noises, no, they should not scare you. There's nothing macho about it, it's a case of the game just being goofy from an adult point of view. I can't believe some of the defenses I'm seeing here.

Supposedly people still get scared by a game that was released 15 years ago, where the monsters look like blocks of pixels that a 5 year old pasted together and said "here, this should scare you." So they believe(d) it.
#103Birth_By_SorrowPosted 10/4/2012 3:45:49 PM
And "Horror Fiction" is a successful adult genre not because it supposedly scares (though film studios would like to believe so). It's more because they are fun, quirky, brain dead films to go out and see with friends or your girl. And sometimes, they are intelligent enough psychological thrillers that delve into the human psyche, making them relevant on a critical level.
#104spectermaster14Posted 10/4/2012 3:48:15 PM
And "Horror Fiction" is a successful adult genre not because it supposedly scares (though film studios would like to believe so). It's more because they are fun, quirky, brain dead films to go out and see with friends or your girl. And sometimes, they are intelligent enough psychological thrillers that delve into the human psyche, making them relevant on a critical level.

That, too. Horror is an all encompassing genre. No one saw Cabin in the Woods or Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil to be scared, they went to laugh. Horror elements add a lot to subgenres.
#105PhewfusPosted 10/4/2012 4:09:37 PM
Many gamers (and consumers) are desensitized to violence and horror because it's so prevalent in all forms of media, so of course they'll say "Resident Evil was never scary" because they've been overexposed to the type of horror Resident Evil resonates.

It's why Japanese horror was so big a few years back, because it was a completely new type of horror genre that the west wasn't exposed too.

Now people just shrug when watching some thing like the Ring.
#106Tbar67Posted 10/4/2012 4:11:51 PM
Phewfus posted...
Many gamers (and consumers) are desensitized to violence and horror because it's so prevalent in all forms of media, so of course they'll say "Resident Evil was never scary" because they've been overexposed to the type of horror Resident Evil resonates.

It's why Japanese horror was so big a few years back, because it was a completely new type of horror genre that the west wasn't exposed too.

Now people just shrug when watching some thing like the Ring.

Speaking of The Ring. Anyone ever play the Dreamcast game The Ring: Terror's Realm?
---
"Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday!"
#107iSelphyPosted 10/4/2012 4:17:40 PM
ITT: People mixing up getting pants-pissed scared with survival scared.

tl;dr: RE was "scary" in the sense that you had to worry about whether or not you could survive. RE is no longer "scary" because people don't want to worry about that and just mow down everything in their path.

I was never scared of RE and I think most people probably weren't also. The thing I was worried about when I played was whether I would be able to survive the next encounter or whatever.

Old RE was about inventory management and using what little you had to survive an onslaught of zombies and occasional bosses. It was wondering whether you wanted to use this herb now because you're damaged or if you wanted to wait til you found a red herb to mix it with. Or whether you wanted to save some ammo and knife this single zombie trudging towards you or just blow his brains out and spend the ammo. The camera angles made it so that you might miss this zombie that is obstructed from your view. No partners made it so it was just you against an army of zombies who's only goal was getting to your delicious brain.

Granted, the above only matters for a first time playthrough. But the point is, older REs had me worried about whether I was properly equipped to survive what could possibly be in the next room or so.

New RE gives you more than enough ammo, melee options which do considerable damage, a partner, and plenty of space to maneuver. You're never worried if you're going to die.

However, that's because the market has shifted. I want to say people had more patience back when games were still in their early stages. We were content with wandering about a facility looking for a damn key to open to door only to realize we have to trudge through the same paths again to get another key for the next door. We could sit around and try to figure out a puzzle that prevented us from moving forward.

Kids these days want more instant gratification. "What? I have to solve a puzzle? That's stupid!" "This is so boring, there isn't anything to kill." "How come I'm always out of bullets? I can't use my guns to mow down these zombies."

Having to spend time solving a puzzle, wandering through empty halls or not always being able to kill stuff quickly and having to run away isn't fun to kids. And so I understand why Capcom and many other companies have changed the style of their games.

Getting back to the point I want to make, RE was "scary" in the sense that you had to worry about whether or not you could survive. RE is no longer "scary" because people don't want to worry about that and just mow down everything in their path.
---
ASAGI! ASAGI! ASAGI!
Not changing this until Asagi gets her own game. Pokemon FC: 0132.7956.2296
#108RebelGameMasterPosted 10/4/2012 6:07:42 PM
I use to be afraid of E.T.
---
Professional Gambler
#109xsniper90xPosted 10/4/2012 6:13:05 PM
back then, it was legit survival horror. you actually ran out of ammo if you shot too much. the bosses wernt too flashy and didnt show off too much. also, the way the camera angles were an controls, it made the game scary.

since this game, like with re4 and re5, the enemies have gotten flashy and usually signal alot before attacking. and the camera allows you to look around more easily.

basically, the way society has been going, gamers are getting stupid and actually require tutorials.

back in my days, we played re2 without a tutorial. we were thrown into a town with zombies and other BOW and we lived through it without a tutorial and without needing the camera assistance.

i blame the way society has been going.
---
psn: hitman555z
i just grew a third peg leg, dood! - prinny
#110Vegeta1000Posted 10/4/2012 8:19:18 PM
Getting back to the point I want to make, RE was "scary" in the sense that you had to worry about whether or not you could survive. RE is no longer "scary" because people don't want to worry about that and just mow down everything in their path.

If you every played any of the old games, you should know that by the midway point you get enough ammo to mow everything down with ease. Even hunters don't pose a threat in the later game. RE has always been about action.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!