Why is this game no longer scary?

#41Jarred623Posted 10/4/2012 11:40:17 AM
@eagles5432: Stop telling people to watch videos of the older games. Of course they aren't scary.
You have to play them or watch someone play them for the first time to have it be scary. Watching someone who knows the game and just plow through everything is going to be boring. Having some guy do a "let's play" video isn't going to be scary because the guys doing the videos think they are the world's greatest commentators and will never shut the hell up.
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. This status is only given out by the site admin.
#42GeraldComptonPosted 10/4/2012 11:58:26 AM
In order for resident evil to return back to its horror roots it would have to ditch an already established cast of characters. The characters in the the resident evil games are no longer snot nosed rookies trying to survive. Most of these characters are in the business of finding these things and killing them. Since they are pretty much hunting these monsters they are not afraid of them therefore the game has moved for scary running from monsters and trying to survive to hunting these things down and killing them. Resident evil would need an all new cast of rookies who are not hardened veterans when it comes to zombie outbreaks and bio-terrorism. the series has always followed the ordeals of the same characters so it eventually had to come to a point where these characters stopped being scared of the unknown and became total bad asses.

The problem is that most resident evil fans don't want to feel like total bad asses or play the role of one. They want to go back to playing that rookie cop or kid who stepped into a nightmare they were not trained or prepared for and are now way in over their heads. Average joe, characters = scary. well trained characters that survived and resolved numerous outbreaks in multiple regions of the world = not scary at all. This is just my opinion of what has led resident evil in this new direction. I personally am enjoying resident evil 6 regardless cause I don't mind playing as a zombie ass kicking machine for a title or two and I enjoy co-op games. Silent hill is still clueless about what it wants to be as well. I think the reset button would need to be hit on the resident evil franchise in order to make it scary again. Starting from scratch with an all new cast of pansy ass characters would make the game scary again.
#43Tbar67Posted 10/4/2012 12:00:25 PM
GeraldCompton posted...
In order for resident evil to return back to its horror roots it would have to ditch an already established cast of characters. The characters in the the resident evil games are no longer snot nosed rookies trying to survive. Most of these characters are in the business of finding these things and killing them. Since they are pretty much hunting these monsters they are not afraid of them therefore the game has moved for scary running from monsters and trying to survive to hunting these things down and killing them. Resident evil would need an all new cast of rookies who are not hardened veterans when it comes to zombie outbreaks and bio-terrorism. the series has always followed the ordeals of the same characters so it eventually had to come to a point where these characters stopped being scared of the unknown and became total bad asses.

The problem is that most resident evil fans don't want to feel like total bad asses or play the role of one. They want to go back to playing that rookie cop or kid who stepped into a nightmare they were not trained or prepared for and are now way in over their heads. Average joe, characters = scary. well trained characters that survived and resolved numerous outbreaks in multiple regions of the world = not scary at all. This is just my opinion of what has led resident evil in this new direction. I personally am enjoying resident evil 6 regardless cause I don't mind playing as a zombie ass kicking machine for a title or two and I enjoy co-op games. Silent hill is still clueless about what it wants to be as well. I think the reset button would need to be hit on the resident evil franchise in order to make it scary again. Starting from scratch with an all new cast of pansy ass characters would make the game scary again.

You nailed it dead on. I fully agree with this.
---
"Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday!"
#44Darth_NicolasPosted 10/4/2012 12:01:01 PM
Steve__Burnside posted...
BigSharkZ posted...
Because you grew up.

This is a bulls*** excuse as to why games aren't scary anymore.

No it's not. We thought games were scary, but an older friend used to play games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill and said they ain't scary at all. So yeah, you grow up, you get less scared. Simple.
#45King AzarPosted 10/4/2012 12:03:13 PM
I guess that's why ADULTS got scared by horror films done right, such as Alien and The Thing, and why ADULT reviewers got the chills playing Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill...right?
---
Jack Nicholson is the only man alive that can make dancing to Prince, scary.
#46AceviperPosted 10/4/2012 12:13:01 PM(edited)
King Azar posted...
I guess that's why ADULTS got scared by horror films done right, such as Alien and The Thing, and why ADULT reviewers got the chills playing Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill...right?

and why CHILDREN get scared by random shadow A, Loud noise B, Night C

what scares people typically does change when people grow up so its not far fetched to say it CAN be because people grew up. However, even adults can get scared by them still. People just get scared by different things. Would you say a harmless spider breeding simulation game is scary? You normally wouldn't, however to someone with arachnophobia, it would be the scariest thing ever. Does that mean that the game itself is scary? Not really. Can it still scare certain people? yes

I guess what I am getting at is that its all based on your perspective of things. How you see things typically WILL change when you grow up, making it so that saying you grew up is the reason why its no longer scary is reasonable.
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#47King AzarPosted 10/4/2012 12:16:08 PM(edited)
Aceviper posted...
King Azar posted...

and why CHILDREN get scared by random shadow A, Loud noise B, Night C

what scares people typically does change when people grow up so its not far fetched to say it CAN be because people grew up. However, even adults can get scared by them still. People just get scared by different things. Would you say a harmless spider breeding simulation game is scary? You normally wouldn't, however to someone with arachnophobia, it would be the scariest thing ever. Does that mean that the game itself is scary? Not really. Can it still scare certain people? yes

*yawn*

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of gamers didn't have a crippling phobia related to Resident Evil that made the games, on the whole, a terrifying experience. Also, I doubt that was all Capcom relied upon.

By the way...comparing childhood ignorance to a carefully engineered experience seems off to me.
---
Jack Nicholson is the only man alive that can make dancing to Prince, scary.
#48wickdawg01Posted 10/4/2012 12:18:28 PM
F00tballguy2002 posted...
I remember playing RE and RE 2 in elementary school....I use to get nervous when going into the next room thinking what might be on the other side, and my hands would be cold while I'm playing.

Anyways, this kind of feeling stopped with RE 4 and onwards (the only time wen RE 4 was kind of scary, was fighting the regen monsters in the little hallway and freezer).

RE 5 is just...not scary at all. It's an action game, and most of the time I find myself sprinting through zombie packs, dodging the zombies, and bashing in their skulls. Rather than being scared.

Because these game became Action/Horror with Resident Evil 4 onwards. Before that they were Survival/Horror.

The big difference being that you are always on the move killing something or running or whatever in the new games whereas in the older games there was alot of tense quiet moments and puzzles.
---
Karma will come to your house and wreck up the place.
------TimEnchanter
#49AceviperPosted 10/4/2012 12:22:07 PM
King Azar posted...

*yawn*

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of gamers didn't have a crippling phobia related to Resident Evil that made the games, on the whole, a terrifying experience. Also, I doubt that was all Capcom relied upon.

By the way...comparing childhood ignorance to a carefully engineered experience seems off to me.

*yawn*

There's nothing 'carefully engineered' about the 'horror' in early resident evils. It was basically 'Theres zombies in it'

and when the vast majority of children would get scared because of their fear of zombies, that would apply to there being a crippling phobia related to Resident Evil.

By the way... by saying 'comparing childhood ignorance to a carefully engineered experience seems off to me' already shows that you acknowledge that children do get scared by different things.
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#50sucricPosted 10/4/2012 12:23:39 PM
Go back and play resident evil two. It's not scary when your a man. This series in general relies on trying to be creepy with sound effects and chasing the player, but you get really used to it after the first few games. I am thinking it would be neat for capcom to take a small hint from dead space and have popups that are totally unforeseeable. Resident evil seems to really focus more on action then scaring the player.
---
Angry RUSSIAN HELICOPTER!