Why is this game no longer scary?

#61Artemicion82Posted 10/4/2012 12:36:12 PM
Got to agree with the people saying you just grew up, if you're in your 20's or 30's video games and movies really aren't likely to scare you anymore, you know the deal by then "hey a closet, could there possibly be...... *scratches chin* a zom....yep, not scary".

I recently played RE2, which I had never played before and nothing at all got to me, in fact it was a humorously easy game.
-
#62Stardust2592Posted 10/4/2012 12:43:52 PM
It's impossible (at least for me) to make any sort of tension etc when I have a gun or 5 like in the old games. Any form of weapon means I can fight. Why am I scared of things I can kill exactly?

You want a REAL survival horror? Make the character useless. Case in point, Haunting Ground. That game was actually terrifying. ****, the music stopped, why did it stop? *Debilitas* RUN. NOW.

Old RE games: Ahh, a Licker through a window. Oh wait, Grenade Launcher. GG.
---
Luck is a loser's excuse. - Alexis Rhodes.
UMVC: Gloria/Doom/Vergil or Wesker BB: Mains: BANG/Mu 12 Subs: Noel/Ragna
#63Albelnox0Posted 10/4/2012 12:48:44 PM
Meta_Bit posted...
I don't think they can really make the game scary given everyone is familiar with the story now. They can make the game tense I suppose by making think you are going to die around every corner. Also, the controls made the game tense back then and there is no way they would go back to those controls.
RE has mainly been only action go play the past REs and you'll see. Only thing it had was jumpscares, like in scenario b when Mr. X came through the wall at the King, queen, jack puzzle. Only RE that really super scared me would be Nemesis. When i played RE3 the first time every time i encountered him i'd coward up in the safe room.
#64DrakoVongola1Posted 10/4/2012 12:53:43 PM
Fayt16 posted...
The grew up excuse is pathetic!
Its the same with silent hill games, the companies are aiming for the morons who like stupid CoD games, giving you nothing to get scared about!

Go play Lone survivor, silent hill 1 to 3, re 1 to 3, hell, even apresite eve 1 and 2 make you go "oh crap whats gonna hapen next" if you replay them now!

In the new re games you go..."oh hey more things to shoot at with my neverending surplus of ammo...nothing to get worried about!"

Silent Hill I can agree to, but I recently played through RE2 for the first time and there's nothing scary about it. I'm sorry, but the classic games were not scary.
---
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#65Albelnox0Posted 10/4/2012 1:00:26 PM
Fayt16 posted...
The grew up excuse is pathetic!
Its the same with silent hill games, the companies are aiming for the morons who like stupid CoD games, giving you nothing to get scared about!

Go play Lone survivor, silent hill 1 to 3, re 1 to 3, hell, even apresite eve 1 and 2 make you go "oh crap whats gonna hapen next" if you replay them now!

In the new re games you go..."oh hey more things to shoot at with my neverending surplus of ammo...nothing to get worried about!"
I never knew you had a lot of guns in downpour, where did you fine all that ammo at. All I could find was melee weapons that break and you constantly had to run to survive.... oh wait....
#66NovaKaneXPosted 10/4/2012 1:19:49 PM
BigSharkZ posted...
Because you grew up.

The thread should've closed after this post.

What grown ass man is gettin' shook from playin' a horror video game these days? Scust.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/f50jfr.jpg
Cot damn!
#67SodapopVIIPosted 10/4/2012 1:21:41 PM
NovaKaneX posted...
BigSharkZ posted...
Because you grew up.

The thread should've closed after this post.

What grown ass man is gettin' shook from playin' a horror video game these days? Scust.

Drop down and give me 20 you big platel of testosterone infused beef!
---
Gamefaqs user since 1999.
#68h_dragonfly82Posted 10/4/2012 1:21:55 PM
Why is this game no longer scary?

Times have changed, new generation of gamers, the series itself is no longer made by the same team who made the past games.

it's pretty much like SquareEnix, as bad as Final Fantasy XIII is in the eyes of long time fans of the series, it still has a fanbase of new gamers.
#69antking61Posted 10/4/2012 1:22:17 PM
When was this game ever scary? Oh right, it wasn't. You were just 9 when you played it.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#70Coryo61827Posted 10/4/2012 1:23:19 PM
Quote:Because you grew up.
@BigSharkZ
That's a dumb statement. I played a PC game called "slender" recently and it freaked me out. Just cause people get older doesn't mean they can't get scared. Sure it might be harder to get scared but not impossible. It just depends on the approach of how it's used in games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9