Why is this game no longer scary?

#81OsteoporozisPosted 10/4/2012 2:43:25 PM
As the game industry continues to grow, we as players grow with it. We become used to its antics and when a game developer fails to come up with new ideas, we get used to it.
After three sequels, a game typically will lose the shine its first few installments did. FIVE games later, it's to be expected that it's the same stuff from the last few games regurgitated. To put it simply, we're desensitized and the developers know we'll buy it anyway because we're suckers.
To use this, the horror genre, as an example: how many times and in how many different ways can you mutilate the human body before it all gets old? These games don't even startle me like they used to, because I know this is a horror game and I expect the worst - that is, hordes of walking corpses and other monstrosities hurtling towards me with the beast (worst) of intentions, often from unforeseen places that are meant to take me by surprise.
It's not surprising anymore.
---
Never heard a man speak like this man before.
#82BlazingSpeedPosted 10/4/2012 2:44:22 PM
New direction in order to increase sales of the masses that buy games for lots of bullet expenditure and explosions - nothing more to it.

And it will not be changing anytime soon.
#83ryuk1214Posted 10/4/2012 2:44:47 PM
BigSharkZ posted...
Because you grew up.

Bull. I still get scared when I play resident evil 2. I played Resident Evil Zero a week before I played RE6 and got more chills and yells in Zero than I did in 6. Also, I found Dead Space, which I played recently, quite suspenseful.
#84EllesarienPosted 10/4/2012 2:46:41 PM
ryuk1214 posted...
BigSharkZ posted...
Because you grew up.

Bull. I still get scared when I play resident evil 2. I played Resident Evil Zero a week before I played RE6 and got more chills and yells in Zero than I did in 6. Also, I found Dead Space, which I played recently, quite suspenseful.

Dead Space creeped the hell out me and it was actually hard to play in the dark with the sound up.

I guess I never grew up......
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#85Dragoon_KailPosted 10/4/2012 2:50:46 PM
Ahhhhh yes the old "resident evil isn't scarey anymore you guyz!" subject, funny but if i recall right, resident evil was NEVER SCAREY, unless you somehow never aged beyond 5 years old or are the most easily frightend little girl on the planet you'd remember the RE series as having a few cheap jump scares

unless horrible voice acting is a fear i'm not familar with? in which case anyone asking if you'd like a sandwich must cause you to collapse into a fetal position & urinate all over yourself, if this was silent hill, slenderman, dead space, the zillion other legit scarey horror games this'd fly better, anyone with a brain & nostalgia glasses unstappled from their face however knows better
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#86superjimmy333Posted 10/4/2012 2:51:43 PM
The only reason why this game isn't scary is because you have too much control about what is happening.
You always have the means to protect you effectively (kicks seem to be a better choice than the knife), you can always move around (now even while aiming), you have enough space to dodge enemies, you have an AI partner that helps you, it's much harder too die because your partner can heal you, you have checkpoints everywhere.
The only way a game can scare you is to take as much control away from you as possible (while still being fun, which is the major design challenge).

At least that's my guess :)
#87ljobenzaPosted 10/4/2012 2:51:46 PM
If growing up stops horror fiction from being scary then why bother making horror fiction in the first place since it's a largely adult genre?

Yeah, it's a stupid reason. Stop using it.
#88Xero KaiserPosted 10/4/2012 2:53:02 PM
Were people ever really scared of Mr. X and Nemesis?

Besides, RE's been around for a long time now and you already know what to expect. There's no mystery anymore. The virus, Umbrella, B.O.Ws, we know everything about all of that. We've had zombies jump at us from every conceivable direction. How can it be scary anymore? It's like watching a Friday The 13th movie. You see someone get separated from the group, you already know what's next. Same deal with RE. You see a body on the ground, you put a bullet in it to make sure it's dead. You walk into a room with a window or a closet, you know something's going to jump out.

I don't think you can have fear without mystery and all the mystery is long gone.
#89AceviperPosted 10/4/2012 2:57:31 PM
ljobenza posted...
If growing up stops horror fiction from being scary then why bother making horror fiction in the first place since it's a largely adult genre?

there is a reason why most 'horror' fictions are just slashers now
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#90Xero KaiserPosted 10/4/2012 2:58:13 PM
ljobenza posted...

The problem is RE's only ever been about as scary as an average slasher movie. You might get a few jump scares but that's it. There was never anything about these games that tried to get in your head. What was one of the big, scary moments of the first RE? The dog jumping through the window. But how many times is something like that going to work?