What's with the 'save' function in this game?

#1dmccaffPosted 10/4/2012 11:22:30 AM
I get the 'save' icon flashing when playing. But when I turn off the game and turn it back on, it takes me back to what I was doing 15 minutes before the save and I have to do it all over again. What gives? How are you supposed to save? I miss the typewriters.
#2VideoboysaysCubePosted 10/4/2012 11:29:35 AM
I don't like that either. As far as I know, there's no other way to save.
---
This sentence has five words. This sentence has eight words. Only one sentence in this signature is true.
#3masterdave81Posted 10/4/2012 11:30:38 AM
A checkpoint is not an actual save (I learned this the hard way). It actually saves chapter progress when you see a typewriter icon at the top left of the screen. I think a checkpoint just means you start there if you die, not if turn off the system.
#4KainDjinnPosted 10/4/2012 11:30:54 AM
Are you sure you get the "Saving" notification with the typewriter and not the "Checkpoint" notification? Those are different.
---
Now we have supermarkets, bottled water and .39 caliber home security. - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
GT: Kain Djinn PSN: mlsterben 3DS: 2793-0922-1840
#5MrcTOtheJPosted 10/4/2012 11:33:50 AM
Well at least it's not like me I press Circle when I was first playing (thought it was another PSN message) and it didn't make data, got half way though Jake's Chapter four and did some mercs stuff only to lose it, oh well I'll do it all again tonight it was fun and totally worth it lol.
---
Self Proclaimed Offical HoonDing, The Yokudan God of Make Way of the TES:V Skyrim Boards (360/PS3)
#6masterdave81Posted 10/4/2012 11:36:25 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen checkpoint pop up without a typewriter next to it, but I can't swear to it. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny for sure.
#7KainDjinnPosted 10/4/2012 11:39:33 AM
masterdave81 posted...
I'm pretty sure I've seen checkpoint pop up without a typewriter next to it, but I can't swear to it. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny for sure.

KainDjinn posted right above you...
Are you sure you get the "Saving" notification with the typewriter and not the "Checkpoint" notification? Those are different.

---
Now we have supermarkets, bottled water and .39 caliber home security. - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
GT: Kain Djinn PSN: mlsterben 3DS: 2793-0922-1840
#8dmccaff(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 11:40:39 AM
Oh, I realize 'checkpoint' doesn't mean that it's saved if you turn it off. No, I'm getting the 'saving game' notice and then when I quit the game and turn it back on, it starts way, way, way before that game save notice flashed. Stinks. At least with typewriters you knew you were saving the game and don't have to repeat stuff.
#9Bfenix4699Posted 10/4/2012 11:41:08 AM
Im pretty sure the "auto save" only records things like serpent plates, ammo count, points collected and your records. When reloading it takes to a recent starting point.
#10metroidcamPosted 10/4/2012 11:41:42 AM
masterdave81 posted...

Check points do show up without typewriters from time to time, i wish this game saved more often and the chapters were broken up like 4 and 5
---
"Behold my friends, a spoon. The most powerful weapon in existence."