New to RE, any past games I need to play story-wise?

#11edward18Posted 10/6/2012 11:29:20 AM
Leon and Sherry have been in 2. Leon's also been in 4. Chris has been in 1, CV, and 5. Those are just the main games. Here's how the old games play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhQrp5Bhhk
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#12Laughing_GodPosted 10/6/2012 11:34:00 AM
DavidZ2844 posted...
I'm new to the resident evil series, is there any particular game or games that I should play from the series to get a better understanding of RE6's story, or can it pretty much stand on its own?

Play darkside chronicles on the ps3 or wii it would have the story of resident evil 2, code veronica, and also a bonus story. after that play 4 and 5 if you could. Resident evil 3 is also good if you don't mind it being too old.
#13DavidZ2844(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 7:02:03 PM
So I think I decided to just save up and shell out the money for the resident evil anthology, hopefully it will be worth it. If I were to get code Veronica (I'm hearing good things about it, is it good?) off of psn, where would that fit chronologically? Is it important character/story wise?
#14Zell1226Posted 10/6/2012 7:06:36 PM
DavidZ2844 posted...
So I think I decided to just save up and shell out the money for the resident evil anthology, hopefully it will be worth it. If I were to get code Veronica (I'm hearing good things about it, is it good?) off of psn, where would that fit chronologically? Is it important character/story wise?

Having the Anthology is an amazing deal. 5 more full games for only $30 more. It's like a garage sale.

Code Veronica takes place after 3, I think. I know it's after RE2 for sure though. It's not important character/story wise, other than the fact that it's where Leon and Chris first meet.
---
www.youtube.com/user/ZellDincht1226 - Gameplay videos!
www.twitch.tv/zelldincht1226 - Live Streams! Almost every day! Please follow!
#15bluegender4everPosted 10/6/2012 7:14:15 PM
Honestly, the series has warped and changed so much, and the stories are so far advanced that the latest titles really do stand alone. I think they reference the storyline of RE2 and RE4 like only 2-3 times in Leon's campaign, and he was a main character in each of them.

To better understand the relationships of the characters in RE6 specifically, it'd be more pertinent to experience the Leon side of the story (RE2, RE4) than the Chris side (RE1, RE:CV, RE5) because of the interactions with Ada and Sherry.

However, if you want to really get into where the series came from, you need to play the first three games at least. RE1 has the mansion incident and origins of major themes of the series, RE2 expands the character repertoire and introduces the Raccoon city event, and RE3 expands on that, detailing the Raccoon city event further. Playing 1-3 would give one a good understanding of Chris and Jill's relationship in RE5 too, and his intense devotion to his cause in that game.
---
10,000 Days in the fire is long enough...you're going home... http://www.petitiononline.com/RRH53888/petition.html stop him!
#16GaullerPosted 10/6/2012 7:41:27 PM
Zell1226 posted...
DavidZ2844 posted...

Having the Anthology is an amazing deal. 5 more full games for only $30 more. It's like a garage sale.

Code Veronica takes place after 3, I think. I know it's after RE2 for sure though. It's not important character/story wise, other than the fact that it's where Leon and Chris first meet.

There's much more to CV than that.
---
GT: B O davis
#17HungryDogPosted 10/6/2012 7:43:53 PM
Forget 6, play the REmake (Resident Evil on Gamecube, Wii) if you can for the 'definitive' RE experience.

Hell go with the PS1 original too :)
---
http://gavade.deviantart.com/
#18BillysanPosted 10/6/2012 7:47:18 PM
DavidZ2844 posted...
Mortis_Angelus posted...
2 annd 5 would be best to understand the characters and story

So is there any way I can play RE2 without buying it on eBay? And is the game really outdated or is the gameplay fine?

A interesting thing about the N64 version of RE2 is that it controls like a DMC game. Has in you move where you tilt the analog stick.

It's kinda nice actually seeing how RE2 lacks the 180 turn.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#19subzero961Posted 10/6/2012 8:06:03 PM(edited)
Play RE0 if you want irony of Jake and Sherry teaming up.

Edit: I guess you would have to play RE2 as well to get the full irony.
---
How dare you not believe in the FSM. It's quite obvious he created the universe 300 years ago and using intelligent falling to keep us on the ground.
#20subzero961Posted 10/6/2012 8:05:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]