What's the scariest game you've ever played?

#161Leighton04Posted 10/9/2012 6:55:14 PM
Amnesia.
---
GT: Leighton04
This is for any European who thinks only us Americans are ignorant/racist idiots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmDMff22Btk&feature=related
#162LiquidFuze180Posted 10/9/2012 6:56:31 PM
Siren. You're pretty defense-less most of the time.
---
ME1 and ME Trilogy coming out for PS3 (sometime around Nov 6) rejoice
#163punu40Posted 10/9/2012 7:03:48 PM
1. SIlent Hill 2
2. Fatal Frame
3. Clock Tower, didnt like the boss fight though.
#164undeadeathPosted 10/9/2012 7:34:27 PM(edited)
Lessermook posted...
Infectedglory posted...
Anyone who has listed any of the Resident Evils or any of the Silent Hills obviously have only played the most mainstream survival horrors. Every other lesser known survival horrors like Prenumbra, Clock Tower, Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Condemned, Phantasmogria all trumps REmake+Silent Hill 2 in every horror "criteria".

And Lol at dead space. It's focus on action defeats much of the horror aspect and even then it's mainly consists of Jump Scares which the other games did just as well.

The literally scariest game ever for me was Fatal Frame 2, the only game to ever truly give me nightmares and the one that fits every horror criteria perfectly and more than all the other survival horrors.
Amnesia is 2nd for me but I'll admit I'm jaded after growing up since then and having already heard about it's horror making me prepared for it.

Zombies just can't be scary though. They're the most generic of enemies and not even strong ones.

Hipster alert

No kidding. I mean, Phantasmagoria? That's the furthest thing from being scary and the games are actually pretty funny in a horrible B-movie kind of way. Rule of Rose wasn't scary in the slightest either and it's just more disturbing than anything else because of messed up the children in the game but they're really not frightening or anything.

Penumbra and Condemned can be freaky to go through though, so I'll give you those and I've never played Haunting Ground so I can't comment on that. But either way, I think the REmake was a pretty successful horror game in terms of creating a daunting atmosphere and they took all the cheese out of the original which made it an awesome horror experience. Silent Hill 2 wasn't that bad either, but I do think it's a pretty overrated entry in the series.

But how about this? I never found the Fatal Frame games to be creepy at all because of the main gimmick of the series, the photography. The game annoyed me more than scared me because I could never really get a good shot and I found it kinda lame that you had to take pictures in the first place. It didn't do anything for me, and I could never get immersed in it.
---
Check out my friend's gaming blog! - http://gameternity.wordpress.com/
#165kriztoferPosted 10/9/2012 7:27:59 PM
I have yet to play a truly scary game
Even when I was a younger gamer
---
reverbnation.com/crestfallenstill
#166LtRickGreyPosted 10/9/2012 7:30:33 PM
I hate to say it, but one of the silent hills. 3? I know 2 bored the hell out of me. Silent hill just freaks me out though. It's a very scary concept.

Dead space freaks me the hell out as well, but that's character design. Those damn necromorphs are... well basic horror ya know? Give the creature enough recognizable features, but not enough to where your brain really has to work at it.
#167MrcTOtheJPosted 10/9/2012 7:46:23 PM
Llewelyn7 posted...
Also for the list
The Legend of Grimrock - its a first person RPG that gets pretty intense / nerve wrecking.

Just the name sounds intense.

Also RE3 I could add first played it when I was 8 remains my favorite RE, RE1-3 never really, really scared me but they can make me jump.
---
Self Proclaimed Offical HoonDing, The Yokudan God of Make Way of the TES:V Skyrim Boards (360/PS3)
#168redeyeddragon36Posted 10/9/2012 7:59:08 PM
Definitely Amnesia. I haven't finished it because I was filled with too much dread and anxiety when I got to the prison area.
---
Don't know the answer; resonance!
#169Color_RuckusPosted 10/9/2012 8:01:20 PM
That damn eel in Mario 64
#170redroses_4lifePosted 10/9/2012 8:03:35 PM
Dead Space 1.
---
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.