What's the scariest game you've ever played?

#211InfectedgloryPosted 10/10/2012 4:55:32 AM
Lessermook posted...

Hipster alert

Lolno. I enjoy action games a ton more than survival horror and I don't waste my life whining how RE lost its horror when it was never scary to begin with.
---
---Nostalgia is like alcohol. Completely ruins your judgement.| You've gotta be willing to risk it all if you're. ever. Really. Gonna. WIN BIG!!!!!!!!!
#212InfectedgloryPosted 10/10/2012 5:04:11 AM
undeadeath posted...

No kidding. I mean, Phantasmagoria? That's the furthest thing from being scary and the games are actually pretty funny in a horrible B-movie kind of way. Rule of Rose wasn't scary in the slightest either and it's just more disturbing than anything else because of messed up the children in the game but they're really not frightening or anything.

Penumbra and Condemned can be freaky to go through though, so I'll give you those and I've never played Haunting Ground so I can't comment on that. But either way, I think the REmake was a pretty successful horror game in terms of creating a daunting atmosphere and they took all the cheese out of the original which made it an awesome horror experience. Silent Hill 2 wasn't that bad either, but I do think it's a pretty overrated entry in the series.

But how about this? I never found the Fatal Frame games to be creepy at all because of the main gimmick of the series, the photography. The game annoyed me more than scared me because I could never really get a good shot and I found it kinda lame that you had to take pictures in the first place. It didn't do anything for me, and I could never get immersed in it.

It's not just me. That game was listed twice on the first page and I believe it's the old school RE fanboys who have been ranting how atmosphere and tension makes up horror and Rule of Rose definitely has that. Of course you've probably been jaded as you've probably grown older by then. Of course then you need to take of your nostalgia goggles and see that Resident Evil is basically a comedy.
REmake is the scariest RE but it's still not scary. The main enemies are ZOMBIES, slow, stupid enemies that just aren't scary anymore (or really have been). I think you're mistaking good game for scary game.

And you're in the minority with Fatal Frame. That series has been the most said on this topic and 99% of people who's played that will know it destroys RE and Silent Hill in horror.

Though unlike most horror hipsters, to me scarier game does not mean better. I enjoyed RE6 more than I did REmake and RE5 more than RE3 so it's funny you would call me a hipster.
---
---Nostalgia is like alcohol. Completely ruins your judgement.| You've gotta be willing to risk it all if you're. ever. Really. Gonna. WIN BIG!!!!!!!!!
#213YukitoRamboPosted 10/10/2012 5:28:03 AM(edited)
Haunting Ground is so criminally overlooked and underappreciated, it's so unfair.
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#214liquiddeath21Posted 10/10/2012 5:33:30 AM
nightmare creatures n64
---
PSN: iyaoyas21
....NISA, SideQuestStudios, Xseed, Atlus...