What's the scariest game you've ever played?

#31pure mind gamesPosted 10/9/2012 11:24:24 AM
In horror, you can scare the audience in two ways, psychologically or viscerally. Viscerally is what many snobby horror fans consider to be the cheap way to instill a scare (but it's still very effective) whilst the psychological route is considered to be more refined and have a more lasting impression. IMHO, both are equally effective and equally scary.

I loves me a good jump scare
---
Resident Evil 4 Playtrough part Final
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRVCUuWJTY
#32kissdadookiePosted 10/9/2012 11:25:34 AM
pure mind games posted...
In horror, you can scare the audience in two ways, psychologically or viscerally. Viscerally is what many snobby horror fans consider to be the cheap way to instill a scare (but it's still very effective) whilst the psychological route is considered to be more refined and have a more lasting impression. IMHO, both are equally effective and equally scary.

I loves me a good jump scare

Sadly they don't last. It's not something that you recall being scary or effective long after it had scared the crap out of you. Lulz. Super effective though.
#33Telly2588Posted 10/9/2012 11:27:08 AM
Clock Tower (psx) and Silent Hill 2. Two games I STILL won't play unless I have company over and the lights are on. And I'm well into my twenties.

Honorable mentions to REmake and RE3.
---
PSN: BksOnlyHoP3
Yeezy taught me.
#34dougsdad0629Posted 10/9/2012 11:27:52 AM
Without a doubt, Demons Souls and Dark Souls. You had to be careful all the time. Even a "normal" enemy could end your life and cause you to lose a lot of progress. Even scarier is after you die with a lot of souls because you're even more nervous about getting back to your blood stain to reclaim them.
---
Dear pessimist and optimist, while you were arguing about whether the glass was half empty or half full, I drank the water. Signed: The Opportunist.
#35Gobey6Posted 10/9/2012 11:29:13 AM
Silent hill 3 and fatal frame
---
"You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback." --- Gamertag: Gobey6
#36kissdadookiePosted 10/9/2012 11:30:00 AM
dougsdad0629 posted...
Without a doubt, Demons Souls and Dark Souls. You had to be careful all the time. Even a "normal" enemy could end your life and cause you to lose a lot of progress. Even scarier is after you die with a lot of souls because you're even more nervous about getting back to your blood stain to reclaim them.

That's not scary in the horror sense. That's just good tension.

I'm very glad you've made your post though, because it's a CLEAR example of how seriously confused most gamers are about RE. They like to call it a survival horror game but there's like no horror in it and it's not scary. Good tension but that's completely different from the scare one gets from a good horror film.
#37PhaildPosted 10/9/2012 11:37:24 AM(edited)
F.E.A.R.

You are a super soldier armed from head to heel and still the game makes you feel very vulnerable with its ambiance and tense atmosphere.
---
Days left in Service: 0 / That's that
World Gone Wrong. Make It Right: 2013 / 2 / 19
#38Mech_BattalionPosted 10/9/2012 11:32:05 AM
Clock Tower (PSX)
Silent Hill 1 and 2
RE 1-3

These games knew how to create a scary atmosphere. While Dead Space was scary, it wasn't as scary as these other games because Dead Space was mostly jump scares, while these were more atmospheric. I mean being chased by scissor man the first time, with no weapons just the ability to hide or die freaked me out. I thought it was scarier than Silent Hill and RE at the time because you couldn't even fight back. It was exhilarating.
#39skeithxthPosted 10/9/2012 11:32:57 AM
You had to be careful all the time. Even a "normal" enemy could end your life and cause you to lose a lot of progress.

By this logic, Dragon's Lair is an incredibly scary game. Don't even get me started on I Want To Be The Guy.
---
Yo Sephiroth, I'm really happy for you, and imma let you finish but Kefka Palazzo is the best Final Fantasy villain of all time.
#40VolcanoBoulderPosted 10/9/2012 11:33:31 AM
Fatal Frame 2 or 3 or 4.