What's the scariest game you've ever played?

#41GoldsicklePosted 10/9/2012 12:38:20 PM
Fatal Frame series.

Any other horror game with physical monsters as enemies don't do much to scare me.

In Resident Evil, the monsters are essentially very, very wild animals.
While the monsters in 6 have become more and more bizarre, the ones in the past titles can be caged, controlled and/or trained, such as the Hunter.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#42c0rr0s10nPosted 10/9/2012 12:39:40 PM
finalstrike14 posted...
Clock Tower on SNES, and its sequel on PSX (only the first one, which has anything to do with the original)

^this...because ^this.
---
"You Big, Stupid, Jellyfish!"
#43firstbornnycPosted 10/9/2012 12:40:41 PM
kissdadookie posted...
firstbornnyc posted...
kissdadookie posted...
Have people just not bothered playing Dead Space 1? Or did people just play that game with the sound at a very low volume? It's a shame how I'm like the only one that has listed that game as one of the scariest.

its was pretty scary just wasnt scary enough to justify it being the scariest. being in space with a huge arsonal of weapons at your disposal kind of takes away from the fear factor a little bit.

But that wasn't what made Dead Space terrifying, it was the sound design and the jump scares.

In horror, you can scare the audience in two ways, psychologically or viscerally. Viscerally is what many snobby horror fans consider to be the cheap way to instill a scare (but it's still very effective) whilst the psychological route is considered to be more refined and have a more lasting impression. IMHO, both are equally effective and equally scary.

I think the issue here is that the names being listed as being the scariest have been predominantly of the psychological variety which of course creates a more lasting impression in people's memeories. However, I think if people were asked what was the scariest game they've played RIGHT AFTER they've finished playing Dead Space, I think Dead Space would be on the top of the charts (it's simply one of those visceral, at the moment scary experiences which of course isn't scary anymore if one later down the line goes and thinks about the game, but then again, it was designed to scare you in the moment and were all one off jump scares, cheap but effective). I think it's kind of unfair to not factor in the fact that Dead Space is designed for short term scares rather than designed to have a lasting effect.

it is factored in well at least to with me it is me and my friends had this discussion right after we played DS1 for the first time and we still came to the same conclusion, yea the jump out scares were great and the game was scary with the dark atmosphere and feeling of being alone, but it still always came came down to "OH SH#@ A HUGE MONSTER JUST POPPED OUT OF NOWHERE now watch me blast the sh#@ out of it" instead of games like Fatal Frame and Silent Hill where the game set you up as just a avg person with very limited weaponry and you are forced to go with your instinct when fear grips you which is to RUN LIKE HELL or find a way to hide or fight with back with what little you have and hope you survive. thats what leaves a lasting impression.
#44kissdadookiePosted 10/9/2012 12:47:44 PM
firstbornnyc posted...
kissdadookie posted...
firstbornnyc posted...
kissdadookie posted...
Have people just not bothered playing Dead Space 1? Or did people just play that game with the sound at a very low volume? It's a shame how I'm like the only one that has listed that game as one of the scariest.

its was pretty scary just wasnt scary enough to justify it being the scariest. being in space with a huge arsonal of weapons at your disposal kind of takes away from the fear factor a little bit.

But that wasn't what made Dead Space terrifying, it was the sound design and the jump scares.

In horror, you can scare the audience in two ways, psychologically or viscerally. Viscerally is what many snobby horror fans consider to be the cheap way to instill a scare (but it's still very effective) whilst the psychological route is considered to be more refined and have a more lasting impression. IMHO, both are equally effective and equally scary.

I think the issue here is that the names being listed as being the scariest have been predominantly of the psychological variety which of course creates a more lasting impression in people's memeories. However, I think if people were asked what was the scariest game they've played RIGHT AFTER they've finished playing Dead Space, I think Dead Space would be on the top of the charts (it's simply one of those visceral, at the moment scary experiences which of course isn't scary anymore if one later down the line goes and thinks about the game, but then again, it was designed to scare you in the moment and were all one off jump scares, cheap but effective). I think it's kind of unfair to not factor in the fact that Dead Space is designed for short term scares rather than designed to have a lasting effect.

it is factored in well at least to with me it is me and my friends had this discussion right after we played DS1 for the first time and we still came to the same conclusion, yea the jump out scares were great and the game was scary with the dark atmosphere and feeling of being alone, but it still always came came down to "OH SH#@ A HUGE MONSTER JUST POPPED OUT OF NOWHERE now watch me blast the sh#@ out of it" instead of games like Fatal Frame and Silent Hill where the game set you up as just a avg person with very limited weaponry and you are forced to go with your instinct when fear grips you which is to RUN LIKE HELL or find a way to hide or fight with back with what little you have and hope you survive. thats what leaves a lasting impression.

Think about what you are saying. You're analyzing it AFTER the fact. Dead Space wasn't built in a way so that it will leave the player with lingering fear. It was done purposely. Dead Space is the kind of game that scares the heck out of you WHILE you are playing, not after. It's designed like that intentionally.

Let's put it another way, the fact that the horror element in Dead Space consisted ENTIRELY out of both visual and auditory jump scares from beginning to end and was 90% effective from beginning to end just comes to show that it is incredibly effective at scaring the crap out of the player in the moment. Think about it, it essentially had just ONE trick up it's sleeves yet throughout the entire 10-12 hours that one trick worked just as effectively from the first time to the last time.

Like I've mentioned before, in horror (books, films, games), there's two types of scares, psychological and visceral. Visceral does not have a lasting impact in terms of lingering fear but it will scare the crap out of you in the moment. Psychological of course will keep scaring you long after it occurs since it's intentionally designed to linger. One is not better than the other in terms of effectively scaring a person as they are distinctly different.
#45onoisaajasonxXxPosted 10/9/2012 12:48:59 PM
silent hill 2 easily. almost entirely because of the atmosphere and audio. by the end of the game i had a gazillion bullets and healing items, so it wasnt hard at all but i still had to talk myself into playing it every time cuz it put me on such a sharp edge.
---
PSN - onoisaajasonx
SSBB code - 5412 9785 8347
#46PainesnewnamePosted 10/9/2012 12:49:31 PM
I get more scared when I play fans because I prefer to run instead of fight (only when I have to)
So dead space scared the bejesus out of me.

Silent hill 2
Amnesia
Remake (Lisa Trevor)

I like being chased and stalked and choosing not to fight makes it that much better.

Especially with the sound up super high.
---
Mass production.....?
.........RIDICULOUS!
#47Arumat808Posted 10/9/2012 12:50:48 PM
Slender. This kind of stuff gets into my head, I don't know why.
#48madetohealPosted 10/9/2012 12:51:17 PM
Silent Hill 1-4 . . . 4 wasn't a great game but it was still pretty frighening at times.
#49poweriessPosted 10/9/2012 12:51:52 PM
Painesnewname posted...
I get more scared when I play fans because I prefer to run instead of fight (only when I have to)
So dead space scared the bejesus out of me.

Silent hill 2
Amnesia
Remake (Lisa Trevor)

I like being chased and stalked and choosing not to fight makes it that much better.

Especially with the sound up super high.

I agree with Silent Hill 2. I remember when I left the building in the beginning where you go outside (or was the SH1?) the music started playing so I moved back and it stopped playing and then I was like omg.
#50abnergoinbigPosted 10/9/2012 12:53:27 PM
mines are either doom 3 or dead space 2.