What's the scariest game you've ever played?

#91Eat ManPosted 10/9/2012 2:47:40 PM
i played dead space with no information about the game whatsoever other than the cover of the case.

i played in a home theater with real surround sound, not that ****-in-a-box stuff, and a subwoofer the size of a small child.

i only played at night by myself with calibrated sound levels

most unnerving game i ever played (until the end when it became heavily repetitive action)
---
Oops, my bad, that's my scenario.
#92DarkGam3rPosted 10/9/2012 2:54:00 PM
Amnesia is my top. First person horrors are so unique.
Other than that, other notable horrors i've played (From best to worst) are:

1.Calling (Feels just like a J-Horror movie!)

2.Resident Evil 2 (Lickers made me feel helpless due to their hissing and hunter-like leaps, and being hunted by Birkin and Mr.X didn't help, either.)

3.Doom 3 (Played the demo when it was new at the time.)

4. Silent Hill (Scary at first, but then killing countless monsters felt like I was overcoming my fear and it wasn't scary anymore.)
---
"I'm no hero."
#93joncoallstarPosted 10/9/2012 2:58:22 PM
Fatal Frame.

Nothing else is even close imo. If you haven't tried these games and you have the balls, give them a try.
#94delta36083Posted 10/9/2012 3:08:51 PM
Eternal Darkness on GC creeps me the hell out!
---
Vita PSN - Delta360
#95capcat123Posted 10/9/2012 3:25:46 PM
cry of fear and afraid of monsters
---
My Body Is Ready
#96JackalfoxPosted 10/9/2012 3:25:51 PM
Dead Space 2.
---
Now Playing - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (360), Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (360)
#97SandOnMyBootPosted 10/9/2012 3:25:59 PM
If "jump-out-at-you-moments" count as "scary" in this day and age, then literally ANYTHING of any genre can be considered scary if it has moments like those. An episode of "Goosebumps" could be considered scarier than "The Exorcist" if we went by that logic. The "Sneezing Panda" video would be the scariest video on youtube.

The jump "scare" is the laziest and most pathetic attempt to instill terror in the viewer. All it takes is for everything to be all quiet, and then have the monster or whatever move into view really fast while the 10,000 decibel music sting plays or the monster screams WAAAAY louder than ever other sound heard thus far. It's not scary, it's just triggering a reflex to loud noises or sudden movement. A friend could sneak up behind your back and set off an airhorn right next to your head. You'd most likely jump like crazy, but would you say that that situation was scary?

Not to mention, jump "scares" have been so overused in EVERYTHING claiming to be horror that they don't even make as many people jump anymore. They can almost always be seen coming from a mile away (considering how everything has to be unusually quiet and dark for them to work), and some of us have even become immune to them. I'm more scared of receiving hearing damage from the loud noise than I ever am from the action on screen.

Now with that out of the way, my pick for scariest game would be Silent Hill 3.
#98Bleachfreak7Posted 10/9/2012 3:26:41 PM
Fatal Frame series and The Suffering.
---
3DS FC: 3437-3085-0365 - HC4 Klash
GE FC: 5486-3590-6471
#99pure mind gamesPosted 10/9/2012 3:37:45 PM
If "jump-out-at-you-moments" count as "scary" in this day and age, then literally ANYTHING of any genre can be considered scary if it has moments like those. An episode of "Goosebumps" could be considered scarier than "The Exorcist" if we went by that logic. The "Sneezing Panda" video would be the scariest video on youtube.

The jump "scare" is the laziest and most pathetic attempt to instill terror in the viewer. All it takes is for everything to be all quiet, and then have the monster or whatever move into view really fast while the 10,000 decibel music sting plays or the monster screams WAAAAY louder than ever other sound heard thus far. It's not scary, it's just triggering a reflex to loud noises or sudden movement. A friend could sneak up behind your back and set off an airhorn right next to your head. You'd most likely jump like crazy, but would you say that that situation was scary?

Not to mention, jump "scares" have been so overused in EVERYTHING claiming to be horror that they don't even make as many people jump anymore. They can almost always be seen coming from a mile away (considering how everything has to be unusually quiet and dark for them to work), and some of us have even become immune to them. I'm more scared of receiving hearing damage from the loud noise than I ever am from the action on screen.

They're still pretty cool, but like Kiss said, they work once, maybe twice
---
Resident Evil 4 Playtrough part Final
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psRVCUuWJTY
#100kangaroozPosted 10/9/2012 3:39:21 PM
kissdadookie posted...
kangarooz posted...
The original Silent Hill 1. Im sorry but Dead Space will never be scary as long as the monsters keep droping prizes and goodies for you to pick up. It doesnt matter what the music is like or the graphics. as long as i see a monster and think dollar signs instead of "oh crap i hope he doesnt see me" then it will never be scary.

In other words, you haven't really played the game then, because if you did, you would know that the music or graphics had nothing to do with it being scary.

Dead Space had one trick up it's sleeve and it wasn't the fear of death. It was the simple aspect of it being the equivalent of someone sneaking up behind you completely undetected and yelling and shaking you suddenly. It's called a jump scare and if you are expecting people to believe that such a scare does not scare you, then you would pretty much be lying since jump scares are based on very natural human reactions. It's simply unavoidable to be scared in such a way.

i did play it and regardless of what you say about its "one trick up its sleeve" I'll still have that thought in my head whenever a monster attacks: "oh boy another monster to kill that will give me credits to buy more stuff that makes me better at killing more monsters! $$CHA-CHING$$".....not scary. its FUN but not scary. nice try though.
---
R.I.P. True Survival Horror 1996-2005