The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

I think New Fans are misunderstanding Old Fans

#1docman864Posted 10/10/2012 8:54:14 AM
"it needs more action" or "it needs to go back to the roots"

I think the problem here is new fans often think "going back to the roots" mean having tank controls, fixed cameras, etc. These people are just making matters worst if not, they're simply trolling. My problem with the old fans is that they only trash talk about the new, but don't elaborate on why it is or what it needs to be done to bring back that same formula back to life in today's modern gaming.

I think what we're all looking at is a GOOD balance between action and horror (if not atmosphere). RE6 tries, but not good enough. It is a game with flaws. Every now an then people bring REvelations, now, that's a direction i envision capcom to follow.
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#2docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 8:59:40 AM
I'm glad developers even brought the term "action horror" to decribe RE6. Well, it needs to be more defined.
---
#3Mr_M0j0_RisingPosted 10/10/2012 9:00:26 AM
All it needs is:

Creepy and or isolated atmosphere. Resident Evil 6 fails. (partner. global epidemic.)
Sense of vulnerability and death. Resident Evil 6 fails. (checkpoints)
Limited Resources. Resident Evil 6 fails. (ammo drops from anything. herbs/first aid sprays too abundant.)

Remove co-op.
Remove corny, over-the-top actions scenes.
Remove lame villains with questionable motives.

And you have a successful Resident Evil.
---
We live to make the impossible possible.
#4KainDjinnPosted 10/10/2012 9:03:09 AM
But do you have a successful game? Like it or not, Capcom won't develop something it doesn't think will make money.
---
Now we have supermarkets, bottled water and .39 caliber home security. - Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
GT: Kain Djinn PSN: mlsterben 3DS: 2793-0922-1840
#5VolcanoBoulderPosted 10/10/2012 9:05:00 AM
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...

They might as well just make an entirely new series in that case. :P
#6Spade59Posted 10/10/2012 9:06:09 AM
docman864 posted...
I think the problem here is new fans often think "going back to the roots" mean having tank controls, fixed cameras, etc. These people are just making matters worse

It's another attempt at deluding themselves. They know exactly what of value RE has lost, it sure as hell wasn't tank controls and a fixed camera.
#7sion041391Posted 10/10/2012 9:06:27 AM
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
All it needs is:

Creepy and or isolated atmosphere. Resident Evil 6 fails. (partner. global epidemic.)
Sense of vulnerability and death. Resident Evil 6 fails. (checkpoints)
Limited Resources. Resident Evil 6 fails. (ammo drops from anything. herbs/first aid sprays too abundant.)

Remove co-op.
Remove corny, over-the-top actions scenes.

And you have a successful Resident Evil.

The game true name is biohazard
#8docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 9:10:50 AM
if they solely make a game that sells, then they will collapse eventually.

When you design, you do not just consider on one thing but many things.
---
#9kissdadookiePosted 10/10/2012 9:15:37 AM(edited)
docman864 posted...
"it needs more action" or "it needs to go back to the roots"

I think the problem here is new fans often think "going back to the roots" mean having tank controls, fixed cameras, etc. These people are just making matters worst if not, they're simply trolling. My problem with the old fans is that they only trash talk about the new, but don't elaborate on why it is or what it needs to be done to bring back that same formula back to life in today's modern gaming.

I think what we're all looking at is a GOOD balance between action and horror (if not atmosphere). RE6 tries, but not good enough. It is a game with flaws. Every now an then people bring REvelations, now, that's a direction i envision capcom to follow.

Actually, no. The problem is with the old fans hanging on to something that was never what they thought it was to begin with.

RE1, slow and plodding, very deliberate.
RE2, the beginnings of spectacle starts to emerge but a lot of the slow and plodding nature of RE1 still exists.
RE3, this is where the serious took a turn to complete spectacle (it was a complete spectacle for the time the game came out)
RE4, complete action spectacle
RE5, progression from RE4 and a very natural progression at that
RE6, let's face it, anybody who was not being completely ignorant and followed the series since the first game knew that this was coming one day and that time has finally come.

In essence, each main RE game was significantly different than the last with the trend going towards action spectacle fair. The whole notion of RE1 ever being even remotely horror and having scary atmosphere was complete BS. RE1 had horror elements but was not horror at all. It was more sci-fi than it was horror. There's friggin a whole lot more horror in Dead Space 1 then there ever was in RE1. That's like saying Dark Shadows (the original TV series) was truly a horror show (it was not, it was as much horror as The Monsters). Yes, RE1 had tension but that was mostly a by product with what Capcom had to work with at the time, it was already clear what Capcom envisioned the series to be by RE3 Nemesis (definitely not slow and plodding horror). Let's put it this way, go back and take a good solid look at RE1 again, the BIG featured baddies were essentially giant mutants (remember the good ole giant snake?) and then you have Wesker. Again, that's essentially sci-fi, not horror. On paper, it looks like it might be horror, but if you objectively played the friggin thing, it was clear as day that it was definitely not horror. The only reason people think of it as horror was due to the fact that the thing was mislabeled as survival horror to begin with (Alone in the Dark was properly survival horror, Silent Hill being the first of the "modern" games that truly deserved the genre title).

Also, bringing up Revelations and saying how that is the correct path for Capcom to go, are you serious? Did you REALLY play that game? It was a inferior version of RE5 with some RE5 Mansion DLC thrown in for good measure. Ridiculous.
#10docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 9:13:06 AM
video game design is still design. Don't forget that. It's their job to come up with a plan.
---