I think New Fans are misunderstanding Old Fans

#51Mr_M0j0_RisingPosted 10/10/2012 10:13:52 AM
Infectedglory posted...
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
Infectedglory posted...
You were 10. One word:Nostalgia.

Ok then. What scares you? So I can tell you that only 10 year olds are scared by it.

Fatal Frame 2 and I was 17. But I do admit I've always been scared of supernatural stuff since my school used to have Bloody Mary rumors and I watched Poltergeist, the Amityville Horror and the Exorcist as a child.
See I admit it, it's nostalgia.

Nostalgia, whatever. You can try pretending to be a badass all you want but you have nothing to prove to anybody here. There are plenty of games/movies out there that are disturbing and scary and why people feel the need to act all tough and pretend they aren't is beyond me.

Exorcist still scares me to this day. The upside down spider crawling scene down the stairs...gets me every time.
---
We live to make the impossible possible.
#52Coryo61827Posted 10/10/2012 10:18:11 AM
How is that nostalgia? Getting scared when you're a kid isn't nostalgia, it's called getting scared when you're a kid. Wow that word gets thrown around too much.

And if its nostalgia then wouldn't I like EVERY resident evil game that came out in the classic old school style? Guess what, I hated resident evil 0. I don't get blinded by nostalgia. I give props to a great game when it's deserved.

And if I liked a game back then, why would I suddenly one day say "man I hate that game now." If you like a game you like it, if not then you don't. Again I don't see what nostalgia has to do with it.

People who throw the word nostalgia around too much on these boards sound so stupid. They remind me of Michael Jackson constantly going "that's ignorant. You're ignorant." It's like it's their only argument. "Oh that's just nostalgia speaking" god forbid people like that CLASSIC games that started the franchise.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#53Standupguy305Posted 10/10/2012 10:19:24 AM
Quote:Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
Infectedglory posted...

Fear and terror is literally the most subjective element of a video game genre. You do realize that the new Resident Evils ALSO have horror elements? In fact all these games that don't "scare" people like Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead have horror elements too. So really if you claim the old REs were scary you have no right to claim the newer ones aren't either.

Ok, except I was explaining why RE1 was a horror game. Not why RE6 isn't a horror game.

We keep going around in circles here. RE1 was essentially NOT SCARY thus NOT HORROR. It had horror elements, plain and simple. It was due to the fact that when it came to the west, it was blindly labeled as survival horror and thus since then, people just automatically assume that it's horror (when it's really not, it's as horrific as the original Dark Shadows show).

@kissdadookie

Overall it seems that your argument is RE didn't scare YOU so it's not a horror game. You're basing your entire argument on your own personal experience with the game and then using it to try to justify RE not being a survival horror game
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#54InfectedgloryPosted 10/10/2012 10:21:54 AM
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
Infectedglory posted...
Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
Infectedglory posted...
You were 10. One word:Nostalgia.

Ok then. What scares you? So I can tell you that only 10 year olds are scared by it.

Fatal Frame 2 and I was 17. But I do admit I've always been scared of supernatural stuff since my school used to have Bloody Mary rumors and I watched Poltergeist, the Amityville Horror and the Exorcist as a child.
See I admit it, it's nostalgia.

Nostalgia, whatever. You can try pretending to be a badass all you want but you have nothing to prove to anybody here. There are plenty of games/movies out there that are disturbing and scary and why people feel the need to act all tough and pretend they aren't is beyond me.

Exorcist still scares me to this day. The upside down spider crawling scene down the stairs...gets me every time.

Badass? Lol no. Everyone who knows me knows I was a easily terrified little kid. Resident Evil just isn't scary unless nostalgia forces it.
Here are reasons: One: the main enemies are zombies: Slow, weak, the most generic of enemies.

Two:The main characters have firearms and are trained police officers which is different from other horrors who have average people.

Three: The controls are terrible and controls do not make horror. And the Camera sucks. How come I can't see something that's right in front of my character?

Four: The music and voice acting was cheesy as all hell. There is literally no way to be scared of this game, only laugh.

Five:Resident Evil is less scary than Super Mario 64 and Luigi's Mansion.

Oh and I'm not the badass. You're just a gigantic wimp. What it looks like is that basically you're mad a game that scared you because you were a child doesn't scare other people because it was objectively the least scary survival horror out there
---
---Nostalgia is like alcohol. Completely ruins your judgement.| You've gotta be willing to risk it all if you're. ever. Really. Gonna. WIN BIG!!!!!!!!!
#55Spade59Posted 10/10/2012 10:22:07 AM
kissdadookie posted...

See, you are demonstrating the problem EXACTLY. You're assuming that what we got from RE1 was what they wanted to go with the series. By RE3, it was clear that they wanted to go hog wild action spectacle with the series. As technology progressed, WE SAW THAT ADVANCE AND COME TO FRUITION AND ULTIMATELY CULMINATING WITH RE4.

Um, no. You saw Mikami and his team change things drastically because they were tired of developing RE games the same way. They were also given the choice of either ending RE or changing it entirely. I'd call this a mutation, not evolution. Granted even RE4 has some semblance of atmosphere, slow pacing, puzzle solving and level design that isn't a straight line. You probably should have used RE5 as your example.

This was NOT the case with RE1. It was obvious that Capcom wanted to duplicated the gameplay mechanics of Alone in the Dark but the pacing was clearly them wanting to up the action element and WE SAW THIS AS THE SERIES PROGRESSED.

Even supposing the idea was to create a more action ridden Alone in the Dark, the pacing is still there, the horror elements from AitD are still there. The devs were creating a horror title, and the complete saturation (global) of action in the series and lack of other horror elements have stripped away it's horror appeal. Was that not what the developers were creating from the beginning? Was RE1 not a horror game? If you say no, I'll laugh and ask you what you really think it was.

Lastly, limited ammo was NOT to promote exploration. Limited ammo was essentially a artificial way for them to up the CHALLENGE of the game. There's a reason why they have unlimited ammo cheats rocket launchers and such in the game. Again, limited technology back then. If they had the technology to make hordes of zombies at the time, you can bet on it that they would have done that and the challenge would have came from needing to manage crowds (a la RE4).

Was it also an artificial way to make the players feel hopeless and desperate? Were the environments, puzzle fetch quests, as well as ammo and health items just artifical encouragement to force players to tread in the disturbing maze environments? As for the crowd example, sorry but there is no way in hell managing mobs is more frightening than encountering enemies slowly, deliberately and one at a time (amnesia, clock tower, haunting ground).

Last but not least, a point that destroys your entire premise, if RE's true vision was to be an action franchise why did the devs choose to copy AitD, a horror game no less, all the way down to it's aesthetics? Do you not hear the music? Do you not see the environments? RE1 was clearly a horror title.

Many of the complaints aren't due to the addition and progression of action, but the lack of everything else.

PlayStation 3 Action Adventure Horror
Resident Evil 6
#56Copyright2011Posted 10/10/2012 10:24:16 AM
I have only played the demo but seems fine to me. The first 2 games as good as they were....were kind of slow and meh. I think they found a good balance.
---
PSN: Copyright2008
#57kissdadookiePosted 10/10/2012 10:25:56 AM
Standupguy305 posted...
Quote:Mr_M0j0_Rising posted...
Infectedglory posted...

Fear and terror is literally the most subjective element of a video game genre. You do realize that the new Resident Evils ALSO have horror elements? In fact all these games that don't "scare" people like Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead have horror elements too. So really if you claim the old REs were scary you have no right to claim the newer ones aren't either.

Ok, except I was explaining why RE1 was a horror game. Not why RE6 isn't a horror game.

We keep going around in circles here. RE1 was essentially NOT SCARY thus NOT HORROR. It had horror elements, plain and simple. It was due to the fact that when it came to the west, it was blindly labeled as survival horror and thus since then, people just automatically assume that it's horror (when it's really not, it's as horrific as the original Dark Shadows show).

@kissdadookie

Overall it seems that your argument is RE didn't scare YOU so it's not a horror game. You're basing your entire argument on your own personal experience with the game and then using it to try to justify RE not being a survival horror game

#1, the survival horror label was misused on RE1 to begin with.
#2, I'm not saying that it did not just not scare me, but if you sift through all the numerous accounts of people's memories of RE, it's clear that they were essentially scared by just ONE moment in the game (zombie dog jumping through the window) and then the rest of it is just them COMPLETELY confusing tension with horror (just read the numerous posts, it boils down to "Oh, the lack of save points and bullets made it scary because that means the character was vulnerable," that's tension, not horror scares, big difference).

I'm not using my own experience to justify anything, I'm using the collective information that can be gathered be reading through people's accounts of their experiences with the series. Simple as that.
#58Mr_M0j0_RisingPosted 10/10/2012 10:33:42 AM(edited)
Infectedglory posted...

One: the main enemies are zombies: Slow, weak, the most generic of enemies.

Two:The main characters have firearms and are trained police officers which is different from other horrors who have average people.

Three: The controls are terrible and controls do not make horror. And the Camera sucks. How come I can't see something that's right in front of my character?

Four: The music and voice acting was cheesy as all hell. There is literally no way to be scared of this game, only laugh.

Five:Resident Evil is less scary than Super Mario 64 and Luigi's Mansion.

Oh and I'm not the badass. You're just a gigantic wimp. What it looks like is that basically you're mad a game that scared you because you were a child doesn't scare other people because it was objectively the least scary survival horror out there

1. You're almost always facing zombies from blind angles and narrow corridors. And there are plenty of fast, agile creatures besides the zombies. Hunters? In the entire mansion? Forget that part?

2. Trained officers separated and alone. With no experience with this kind of situation, sure.

3. The camera angles create a sense of suspense. The idea of hearing something but not seeing it is usually always scarier than the alternative.

4. It was VERY cheesy I agree. The cutscenes did detract from the experience. NOT THE MUSIC, however. You are clearly wrong on this. Just go on youtube and type in Resident Evil 1 ost. Chilling and ambient. If you think this music is cheesy then I do not know what to say.

5. Ok.

For the record I'm not mad at all. I don't get mad over gaming message boards. People have opinons. So be it. I was only here defending my original standpoint that Resident Evil is indeed a horror game.
---
We live to make the impossible possible.
#59kissdadookiePosted 10/10/2012 10:33:57 AM(edited)
Spade59 posted...

Um, no. You saw Mikami and his team change things drastically because they were tired of developing RE games the same way. They were also given the choice of either ending RE or changing it entirely. I'd call this a mutation, not evolution. Granted even RE4 has some semblance of atmosphere, slow pacing, puzzle solving and level design that isn't a straight line. You probably should have used RE5 as your example.

Even supposing the idea was to create a more action ridden Alone in the Dark, the pacing is still there, the horror elements from AitD are still there. The devs were creating a horror title, and the complete saturation (global) of action in the series and lack of other horror elements have stripped away it's horror appeal. Was that not what the developers were creating from the beginning? Was RE1 not a horror game? If you say no, I'll laugh and ask you what you really think it was.

Last but not least, a point that destroys your entire premise, if RE's true vision was to be an action franchise why did the devs choose to copy AitD, a horror game no less, all the way down to it's aesthetics? Do you not hear the music? Do you not see the environments? RE1 was clearly a horror title.

Many of the complaints aren't due to the addition and progression of action, but the lack of everything else.

PlayStation 3 Action Adventure Horror
Resident Evil 6

No, you are entirely forgetting about RE progression. From 1 to 2, it was already a huge drastic change. Then 3 came along and that was an even bigger change. The progression was clear and the direction was clear. You're argument about Mikami getting bored and thus shifting gears makes no sense since the progression and direction of change was in a very straight forward path as opposed to trying things just for the heck of trying new things.

RE was a action adventure game with horror elements. Simple as that. It was however NOT HORROR. Again, having horror elements does not automatically make something horror. What is so hard to understand here? Also, high tension doesn't equal horror, that's just high tension. Not rocket science. Your argument of "oh, it uses this and that horror element, it must be horror then" is pure stupidity. By that argument, The Munsters must be horror, Young Frankenstein must be horror, Cabin in the Woods must be horror. But they are not yet they FULLY fit your description of what makes something horror.

Again, you keep pointing to aesthetics yet have NO NOTION that EXECUTION is the most important element. The EXECUTION of RE was clearly not horror and if the intention was horror, it had failed. You can only judge something for what it is, not your envisioning of what it is.

It's ridiculous how people like you keep holding on to the argument of horror elements + high tension ='s horror. It's plain and simple, WRONG. Again, using your argument, we can now label a WHOLE LOT OF THINGS as being horror, INCLUDING The Munsters. Heck, according to your fuzzy logic, Scooby Doo is like one of the best and longest running horror series in history!
#60InfectedgloryPosted 10/10/2012 10:33:27 AM
Coryo61827 posted...
How is that nostalgia? Getting scared when you're a kid isn't nostalgia, it's called getting scared when you're a kid. Wow that word gets thrown around too much.

And if its nostalgia then wouldn't I like EVERY resident evil game that came out in the classic old school style? Guess what, I hated resident evil 0. I don't get blinded by nostalgia. I give props to a great game when it's deserved.

And if I liked a game back then, why would I suddenly one day say "man I hate that game now." If you like a game you like it, if not then you don't. Again I don't see what nostalgia has to do with it.

People who throw the word nostalgia around too much on these boards sound so stupid. They remind me of Michael Jackson constantly going "that's ignorant. You're ignorant." It's like it's their only argument. "Oh that's just nostalgia speaking" god forbid people like that CLASSIC games that started the franchise.

How do people not know the basic functions of nostalgia? Nostalgia makes it so that the features and atmosphere of your childhood is what you like the best. Actually your hating of Resident Evil 0 proves that nostalgia already completely affected you by then. You'd be at least 15 by the time RE0 came out and thus that game gets harder for you to scare. However if you'd played RE1 at 15 you'd find THAT game not scary. What you just said was a perfect example of nostalgia. Finding literally more scary games to be less scary than what was objectively not scary at all.

And not liking current games is because they're not the same as what your childhood had even if the technology is better. In fact you don't like it BECAUSE of the increased technology hence why a lot of older people don't like the internet. It's not how it was like back in your day

Also how you like a game is also dependent on your real life situation. If you played a game during your "golden years" you'll find it amazing yet when you play a more recent game when you're living as an adult barely scraping by then yes that game seems worse than what you played in your childhood.

But seriously I think the only people who dislike modern games (hipsters) have really terrible lives hence why they're so negative about everything and needs to live in their childhood
---
---Nostalgia is like alcohol. Completely ruins your judgement.| You've gotta be willing to risk it all if you're. ever. Really. Gonna. WIN BIG!!!!!!!!!