"Just wait until ______ and I will explain everything" - Screw you Helena!

#11jsquad4136Posted 10/12/2012 1:20:59 PM
Indeed. And they sure didn't put any effort into making us emotionally invested in Deborah. I mean all we really get from her from the files (if I'm correct) is that she was a wild girl and loved to party. Wooh, what a devastating loss.

*Leon ending spoilers*

And we FINALLY get a 'paying our respects' scene in a grave. And who is it for? Deborah.....

>.< They were reeeeally trying hard to make us feel bad for a character that had almost zero screen time and wouldn't have been a compelling character anyways. I think we ALL now which character deserved that 'respectful' scene instead.

*end spoilers*
---
"I haven't been a child since I was 9 years old."
#12shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 2:15:29 PM
I like how in the church part in Leon's campaign after you kill the gas monster, they don't even say anything about basically killing all the people in the church by letting that thing loose. No remorse or anything.

This too!
#13shadestreet(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 2:18:26 PM
Also I HATE characters that say 'I'll tell you later' to every relevant detail they should be explaining. Ada is just as guilty of this. "Maybe some other time" is her tagline.

Yeah, I know this is a trope many games succumb too, but I haven't seen it as bad anywhere else than in RE6... I would have been far more invested in the plot, characters, and motivation on getting to the chapel if they would have staggered reveals/backstory about it throughout the journey there rather than building it up to be this huge secret that wound up being anticlimatic.
#14jsquad4136Posted 10/13/2012 1:17:27 PM
shadestreet posted...
Also I HATE characters that say 'I'll tell you later' to every relevant detail they should be explaining. Ada is just as guilty of this. "Maybe some other time" is her tagline.

Yeah, I know this is a trope many games succumb too, but I haven't seen it as bad anywhere else than in RE6... I would have been far more invested in the plot, characters, and motivation on getting to the chapel if they would have staggered reveals/backstory about it throughout the journey there rather than building it up to be this huge secret that wound up being anticlimatic.

Ugh, this. I'm not expecting Capcom to make a brilliant plot. But when they take the whole 'I'll hold off telling you' trope and BEAT IT DO DEATH IN THE HEAD then that's where I get annoyed.

Chapter 1 was all "We need to get to the Cathedral!" Chapter 2 was all "I need to find Deborah!" Every other chapter was "SIIIIIMMOOOOONS!"

She should have just let her ass do ALL the talking.
---
#15AlbinoCrocodilePosted 10/13/2012 1:31:03 PM
Dat whining.
---
Miss Albino at your service. Be careful you don't go blind staring at my radiant scales and shining teeth.
#16rebelguy0Posted 10/13/2012 2:01:38 PM
jsquad4136 posted...
Indeed. And they sure didn't put any effort into making us emotionally invested in Deborah. I mean all we really get from her from the files (if I'm correct) is that she was a wild girl and loved to party. Wooh, what a devastating loss.

*Leon ending spoilers*

And we FINALLY get a 'paying our respects' scene in a grave. And who is it for? Deborah.....

>.< They were reeeeally trying hard to make us feel bad for a character that had almost zero screen time and wouldn't have been a compelling character anyways. I think we ALL now which character deserved that 'respectful' scene instead.

*end spoilers*

Or people just lack basic empathy. Purely because a character/person likes to party doesn't mean they're not worth attempting save.
#17jsquad4136Posted 10/13/2012 2:10:47 PM
'Or people just lack basic empathy. Purely because a character/person likes to party doesn't mean they're not worth attempting save.'

This has nothing to do with 'empathy'. This is FICTION. There is no reason to care for a person in a game/story that has absolutely zero development. They were trying to play off a useless character's death as the most tragic thing to happen in the game.

Were you SERIOUSLY concerned for those hostages you had to save in Chris's chapter? I doubt it. They weren't characters at all. They were just a tool for the plot. Same with Deborah.

You have a lot of gall to assume someone has no empathy because they didn't care about a FICTIONAL character that had next to no screen-time/development. All we know about Deborah is that she likes to party.....that's it. Me not liking her for that has nothing to do with my feelings on real people that go out and party. I do that too.

But from a character/writing standpoint there is nothing really to work with when all we know about a character is that they like to party. And it's even more insane when the 'promised' safety of this woman costs the lives of 70,000 people. There is just no reason to care about that character.
---
#18Neo Neo oeN oeNPosted 10/13/2012 2:10:55 PM
Helena is a great example of women you don't want to date.
---
You don't get badges at this level. You have to wait till you're a Bear Scout, a Super Bear Scout, or Bear Scout EX Plus Alpha.
#19FaxModem2000Posted 10/13/2012 2:10:56 PM
shadestreet posted...
I like how in the church part in Leon's campaign after you kill the gas monster, they don't even say anything about basically killing all the people in the church by letting that thing loose. No remorse or anything.

This too!

There's a trophy for not letting anyone die. As soon as that monster showed up I unloaded on her until she died. She only moved a few feet and no one died.