Coup De Grace time, and counter time rewards should be switched around in mercs.

#1StupidMofozPosted 10/31/2012 11:56:15 PM(edited)
Counters take no stamina, and are easier to set up and pull off, I believe they should only be rewarded with 7 seconds on the clock.

Coup De Grace should give 10, it requires 2 bars of stamina to usually pull off. Arm shot, slide melee, or quick shot slide melee (that requires 3).

With this change there would be less sitting around waiting to to counter, it would give mercs a more action like feel.

Such as for zombies, going for an arm shot, then a slide takes a bit more thought than standing and waiting for an enemy to swing his arm. Also it drains more stamina, requiring more thought and careful positioning.

Counters wont be worthless, since you can't Coup De Grace enemies with weapons anyway. (trying to do so will only make the playable character steal the enemies weapon, which only awards 5 seconds.) Also the most effective way to take out bloodshots, is to counter them. This will make the mercenaries more enjoyable to view for watchers. It will also balance out the mode.

Instead of counter everything, the main strategy would change to be more like "Counter enemies with weapons, and coup de grace those without them."

Regardless, this is my favorite version of mercs so far.
#2Chunx907Posted 10/31/2012 11:57:48 PM
I think it would be quite interesting to have a version of Mercenaries with no incentive to melee at all. Instead, you get big points by pulling off headshots with a sniper rifle, or defeating multiple enemies with a single explosion/attack.

I know it sounds crazy, but it'd be something really different for Mercs, and would reward aiming skill rather than counter/melee spam.
#3StupidMofoz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 12:12:12 AM(edited)
Chunx907 posted...
I think it would be quite interesting to have a version of Mercenaries with no incentive to melee at all. Instead, you get big points by pulling off headshots with a sniper rifle, or defeating multiple enemies with a single explosion/attack.

I know it sounds crazy, but it'd be something really different for Mercs, and would reward aiming skill rather than counter/melee spam.

Going into melee range to boost time takes more skill than just shooting. Due to the fact you have to put yourself in harms way to boost your time. They didn't really want to make the game into a shooter, it's very much an action game. That's not what RE6 is.

They already award aiming skill, hence the parts of the body you have to fire at to preform said melee attack. It's about mixing ranged, and melee. That's what makes this game unique and fun.

It's far to easy to move a cursor over an enemies head and press the right trigger. It takes more skill to quickly aim for key parts of the body to trigger a time generating melee.
#4Chunx907Posted 11/1/2012 12:19:35 AM
StupidMofoz posted...
Going into melee range to boost time takes more skill than just shooting.

Not really the case in RE5. You got invincibility frames during every melee attack. I guess it's better in 6, since you are kinda taking a risk with the lack of invincibility during some animations.

With the counter system, shooting skill is removed entirely. I don't really like that you can do that lower weapon trick and spam R1 for easy counters. Dogs, leaping zombies, spitting zombies, and any other enemies that would usually be tough to counter are now just an easy +10 seconds.

They didn't really want to make the game into a shooter [...] it's very much an action game.

huh. Chris and Jake's campaigns sure seemed like TPS to me.

and shooting is action.

That's not what RE6 is.

You can play it however you want. Mercenaries just happens to reward melee over shooting. Just trying to propose something new here. I'd imagine it as a DLC like Reunion in the last game.

They already award aiming skill, hence the parts of the body you have to fire at to preform said melee attack. It's about mixing ranged, and melee. That's what makes this game unique and fun.

Eh. Like I said, people play it how they want. Fun can be had in several ways. Using Jake Costume 1 and getting headshots on everything may not score you big points, but it's fun to do every once in awhile.
#5StupidMofoz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 12:27:59 AM(edited)
Chunx907 posted...
StupidMofoz posted...
Going into melee range to boost time takes more skill than just shooting.

Not really the case in RE5. You got invincibility frames during every melee attack. I guess it's better in 6, since you are kinda taking a risk with the lack of invincibility during some animations.

With the counter system, shooting skill is removed entirely. I don't really like that you can do that lower weapon trick and spam R1 for easy counters. Dogs, leaping zombies, spitting zombies, and any other enemies that would usually be tough to counter are now just an easy +10 seconds.

They didn't really want to make the game into a shooter [...] it's very much an action game.

huh. Chris and Jake's campaigns sure seemed like TPS to me.

and shooting is action.

That's not what RE6 is.

You can play it however you want. Mercenaries just happens to reward melee over shooting. Just trying to propose something new here. I'd imagine it as a DLC like Reunion in the last game.

Eh. Like I said, people play it how they want. Fun can be had in several ways. Using Jake Costume 1 and getting headshots on everything may not score you big points, but it's fun to do every once in awhile.

I guess >.> There are just tons of games on the market that are all about headshots and just shooting. This game has a really fun and refined melee system. It's a key part of the gameplay. It's one of the reason it's so popular in japan. It feels more like an action game than a straight up shooter. It's arcade like and fresh.

And Chris and Jakes campaigns I usually ended up using melee on most enemies but snipers, which I took care of like how I do in mercs, with a shot back in the head.

Actually in RE5 try playing mercs without melee, by using the quick turn and just keeping your distance and shooting, you'll never get hit. Even some of the best RE5 players take damage in melee range, invincibility or not, there are still far more risks with preforming melee attacks, than just running away and shooting.
#6Chunx907Posted 11/1/2012 12:29:55 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've always loved the melee attacks in 4-6. That's what makes this a very different TPS than something like Uncharted or Gears.

Responding to the actual subject, I agree that CDG and counter time bonuses should be swapped. Probably not going to happen since they've already shipped the game and established this scoring system, but I think it's a good idea.
#7StupidMofoz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 12:38:37 AM(edited)
Sadly yes, but hopefully in future patches, or if they make a reunion. Counters will still be viable against weapon enemies and bloodshots, since you can't CDG weapon enemies anyway.

The other gameplay modes though coming out for the xbox first and the ps3 later though will be a bit more based on shooting.
#8zenandiPosted 11/1/2012 1:19:04 AM
I don't know...

I see your point, but the real skill here, and why Counter deserves the + 10 s is that you literally can't Counter kill most enemies right off the bat, even with Power Counter.

The key is to shoot them enough times and then bait the Counter, or in a group, keeping track of who already has been damaged and will die in a Counter. And if you do this. The risks are much higher -- you're open to attacks, your spatial awareness becomes zero, and the f***ing enemies sometimes don't take the bait and costs you the combo. Too many variables to control if you want to consistently be baiting the + 10s.

Coup de Grace, of course, is far easier to control. You can't miss it really.
#9StupidMofoz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 2:02:13 PM
zenandi posted...
I don't know...

I see your point, but the real skill here, and why Counter deserves the + 10 s is that you literally can't Counter kill most enemies right off the bat, even with Power Counter.

The key is to shoot them enough times and then bait the Counter, or in a group, keeping track of who already has been damaged and will die in a Counter. And if you do this. The risks are much higher -- you're open to attacks, your spatial awareness becomes zero, and the f***ing enemies sometimes don't take the bait and costs you the combo. Too many variables to control if you want to consistently be baiting the + 10s.

Coup de Grace, of course, is far easier to control. You can't miss it really.

Ada's bowgun when equipped with power counter is pretty much a 100 percent chance to kill with a counter. Using rifles makes the character bash them in the head with it. If power counter is equipped you'll most likely kill.
#10PhaildPosted 11/1/2012 2:14:41 PM(edited)
What they really need to do is reward +7 secs for performing environment sensitive finishers like bashing their heads against an object or pulling their leg so they fall over and hit their head (The latter is very rare, but it's perfectly doable in proper locations, even in Mercenaries).
---
Days left in Service: 0 / That's that
World Gone Wrong. Make It Right: 2013 / 2 / 19