If capcom kept making the games the same instead of changing it with 4...

#41Hawke0Posted 11/6/2012 8:54:39 PM
Captain butthurt, you never replied to this.
forced you to fight effectively the same enemy the entire game,
There was much more enemy variety in 4 than the games before it. Not to mention RE5 was an inferior copy paste of 4.

gave you bosses who basically just died for you and didn't put up a fight AT ALL
As opposed to bosses where you kill them with auto aim?

DMC (chapter based, to name one thing),
DMC was a scrapped version of RE4.

create a game that was put to shame by EVERY OTHER action game released that year.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

In fact, the only people enamored with RE4 were Gamecube owners who's mommies wouldn't let them get a console like the PS2, because of all of the "violent" and "barbaric" games on it.
Oh, you're a 'fanboy'. No wonder your post reeks of willful ignorance and stupidity.

Meaning that such children had never actually played a GOOD action game before, so when they got a barely medeocre one, they about **** themselves and proclaimed it: "The best thing EVAR!!!!" being that they didn't know any better.
I can't believe I'm using reviewers as an argument, but what about the fact it had a 90 or whatever on Metacritic? I guess all those reviewers were kids, right? Not to mention the Resident Evil remake, which is vastly superior to 1, 2, and 3 was GameCube exclusive.

Anyway... RE5 added co-op, and totally embraced being an action game (witch actually made it better than RE4), as well as having variety in it's environments and enemy types as well as featuring decently challenging boss battles.
Forced co-op and PS2 AI, real great game. Not to mention most of the boss fights and enemies were taken out of four.

REvelations brought back a lot of classic RE's exploration, item management and optional content.
and is the best RE game since 4.

RE6 had 7 (8 soon) playable characters, a series record, finally gave us the ability to move and shoot at the same time, the best variety of gameplay ever featured in the series, the return of actual puzzles (yay), and probably the best gameplay in the series (you can't slide through a group of zombies, drop a mine, then blow them all to hell in RE4)

Wow, 8 years of being pure action and we have better controls? Should have had them with 5 seeing as how it completely abandoned all elements of survival horror while 4 retained some.

Maybe if the TC had ever played a GOOD action game he'd know where I'm comming from. But since I doubt his allowance allows him to play lots of games, this probably won't happen soon.
The butthurt is strong with this one.

---
C2 FC: 0562-2516-9316 Idiot definition of the week, Generic: Any game that is in first person and/or involves guns. Use: "Dur, Bioshock is so generic"
#42ravenscourgePosted 11/6/2012 8:59:07 PM
You know, one of my gripes with the old games, and I have very few, and it's minor, but it's that the final boss always comes down to "Stand in one place, spam strongest weapon, and suck down all the herbs you saved."

Most old RE bosses could be defeated without taking damage with just a little knowledge of them, but for the final bosses, they always made it way harder, but it was never even worth learning how to or dealing with it. Final boss was why you worked so hard to save all those red+green mixes all game lol.
---
XBL - k0mRaDe Kr1m5oN PSN - ravenscourge
Sindel, Kitana, and Raiden. <3
#43Chaos_Dante_456Posted 11/6/2012 9:00:14 PM
@edward

Controls DO add to atmosphere how the character controls along with the camera works in tandem with the environment. The fixed camera angles and stiff controls added to the dread that the zombies were hard to avoid. One zombie in a hallway could be a threat.

Sure there were more than zombies but they were obviously the main framing device, what you saw the most often. The mystery of what you'd see next did develop a since of dread. However like I said we've seen pretty much all they have to offer.

Mystery goes in alot to fear. The better you can comprehend the source of said fear the less it breads in to you. At this point we know it always a virus released by some nutjob whether it's Wesker, Umbrella, or some wannabe-Umbrella company or Wesker comlex guy. s*** at this point it's just business as usual.

For a games like this, some sort of decent cohesive story is necessary. Whith a pile of plot holes connecting to what we already know, it's hard to stay afraid.

Yeah the Los Plagas had nothing to with the previous titles, and that was great. Something new, no scientists experimenting on family members. Just something new we didn't already understand because of previous titles. Maybe Capcom didn't capitalize on the opportunity for mysterious fear but hey atleast the game was still fun.

Megaman is in a totally different genre than RE. Horror is similar to comedy as the subject can get stale if stressed to much and not presented in new creative ways. Think of most scary movies they may be lucky if they can mantain that sense of fear up to the 3rd sequel. But after that it's just gets old, and people are really only coming in to see it based on the NAME. You're just returning to see what happens rather than to be scared. 4's jumping off point could have breathed in some new life before that started to happen.

5 didn't get s**** back on track lol good game but it didn't progress the series.
#44orpheus_telos84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2012 9:00:36 PM
Hawke0 posted...
Hannibal_Wesker posted...
REmake has graphics that still stand up to current gen games (10 years later) BECAUSE of the static backgrounds. They could potentially have made literally photorealistic character models on the current gen hardwars if they'd stuck with it. "Lazy" my ass...

Graphics don't matter, and it's more or less because they put a gif in the background which takes up memory instead of system power so then they could put everything into character models, lighting effects, etc.
It's a lazy way to make your game look better. Effective yes, but lazy.

What a great way to put it.
---
Double Cheese Deluxe, in a penguin tux.
:::...PSN and Steam: extintion84...:::
#45edward18Posted 11/6/2012 9:16:34 PM
Controls DO add to atmosphere how the character controls along with the camera works in tandem with the environment.

Camera isn't controls.

The fixed camera angles and stiff controls added to the dread that the zombies were hard to avoid. One zombie in a hallway could be a threat.

And a single zombie should be just as much of a threat regardless of camera.

Sure there were more than zombies but they were obviously the main framing device, what you saw the most often. The mystery of what you'd see next did develop a since of dread. However like I said we've seen pretty much all they have to offer.

...how have we seen what all they can offer when they can make up something new like they do every game?

Mystery goes in alot to fear. The better you can comprehend the source of said fear the less it breads in to you. At this point we know it always a virus released by some nutjob whether it's Wesker, Umbrella, or some wannabe-Umbrella company or Wesker comlex guy. s*** at this point it's just business as usual.

Or it can be more complex with the reasonings behind why the virus was made and what the person that made it was trying to accomplish.

Yeah the Los Plagas had nothing to with the previous titles, and that was great.

No that was absolute crap.

Something new, no scientists experimenting on family members.

And with how far into the series that was you do not just pull that kind of crap out of nowhere.

Just something new we didn't already understand because of previous titles.

You never understand things when you first get started no matter the connections until you find out what's going on in the individual event later on.

Maybe Capcom didn't capitalize on the opportunity for mysterious fear but hey atleast the game was still fun.

All of the games are fun.

Megaman is in a totally different genre than RE. Horror is similar to comedy as the subject can get stale if stressed to much and not presented in new creative ways.

The same rules for staleness applies to any genre. It's up to the individual whether it gets stale or not. It was never stale to me.

Think of most scary movies they may be lucky if they can mantain that sense of fear up to the 3rd sequel. But after that it's just gets old, and people are really only coming in to see it based on the NAME.

Then they should end the series.

You're just returning to see what happens rather than to be scared. 4's jumping off point could have breathed in some new life before that started to happen.

4 did nothing to breathe life in other than bringing in hordes of casuals which half of don't even give a damn about the rest of the series.

5 didn't get s**** back on track lol good game but it didn't progress the series.

It did so a hell of a lot more than 4 ever did.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#46Jonathan_F_GPosted 11/6/2012 9:33:43 PM
Ballroompirate posted...
orpheus_telos84 posted...
This series would've faded into mediocrity just like Silent Hill. Tank controlls have no place in a game from this console generation (or the last for that matter). They are just plain awful and they always were. There was little innovation between the first three titles and the scarcity of ammo didn't add suspense, only uneeded frustration. Static backgrounds are lazy and were only implemented due to the console limitations at the time. Fixed camera angles are pointless and are just another cheap excuse to get a cheap jump scare out of the player.

Tldr; Neo Biohazard>Old Biohazard.

Pretty much spot on, it baffles me how many people lack logic in life. If RE stayed the same as RE1-RECV the series would be flat out dead. The thing is though people will complain if the series stayed the same or as it is now, it's basically a no win scenario cause people just whine so much in life now and days.

I'm a big RE fan and I'll even admit RE1 got me into gaming. There has been bad RE games which are Gaiden,Survivor,RE0 and ORC. There has been great RE games like RE4,RE1 remake and RE2. Lastly every other game has it's merits (good and bad) like RE5,RE6,RE3,RE outbreak,RE outbreak 2,RE revelations,RE CV,RE1 DC and RE dead aim.

I still think the new RE is just as good as the old RE.

I think it is YOU that lacks logic in life:

BHZero has a great concept with its partner system. Great concept. I used to split Billy and Rebecca up. Visually, splitting them up felt very multi-dimensional. Now while that game certainly wasn't a bad BH title. It just wasn't a masterpiece like the BH1 remake, that's all. I happen to like BHZero very much. But it was the little things that Zero got wrong (Specifically, Enrico Marini's baffling presence in Birkin's lab).

BH4, while a great game, is NOT a great BH title. Period.

The original Biohazard and its remake counterpart are masterpieces. Period.

Gun Survivor (Survivor) is a win with the Guncom support as far as fun factor is concerned. And hell, its atmosphere in on par with some of the most atmospheric titles in the series.

Heroes Never Die (Dead Aim) is EXTREMELY underrated. The game is beautiful looking enough. Also, it executes the BH brand experience the series was known for throughout the 90's and the early 2000's.

BH3: Last Escape is a masterpiece. And I'm not just saying that. This game is in alot of ways better than 2. Nemesis did so many things right and then some. It has great puzzles, great action with some added gameplay mechanics and a great weapon variety, randomized events (Such as enemy and item sets), a seemingly unavoidable stalker (The Nemesis. Ustanak has nothing on Nemesis as far as being unpredictable. Absolutely nothing. Ustanak is a 1 way script) and of course the original BH brand experience.

And finally, the Outbreak games. It showcases the original BH brand experience while at one point, incorporated the all original survival horror online multiplayer. This project is easily a masterpiece and represents some of the best efforts the Biohazard franchise has ever offered.
---
What I would GIVE to play the Biohazard/Resident Evil Outbreak series online again. Kevin Ryman makes Leon Kennedy look like a whelp.
#47Jonathan_F_GPosted 11/6/2012 9:36:31 PM
orpheus_telos84 posted...
I like how Hannibal_Wesker is the only one that got mad and resorted to listing most of his reasons as "because you're wrong". First of all, 4 and 5 did not have tank controlls at all except in LiN. Second, its pretty unanimous that static backgrounds are no longer needed. You also listed auto aim as a reason but why would you want the game to play itself? Also, adding a couple of gameplat tweeks is not inovation, dude. Nice try with the edgy comment though. You almost got me.

Um.... But 4 and 5 did have tank controls. The only difference was the camera was over the shoulder.
---
What I would GIVE to play the Biohazard/Resident Evil Outbreak series online again. Kevin Ryman makes Leon Kennedy look like a whelp.
#48Chaos_Dante_456Posted 11/6/2012 9:46:28 PM
@edward

didn't say the camera and controls were the same thing. i just stated how they work the together along with the enviroment to emphasize a certain atmosphere.

well a single zombie isn't a threat anymore hasn't been for a while. the benefit of the fixed angle was that you usually heard the zombie before you saw it that anticipation created tension. smoother

Let's be real the reasoning behind the outbreaks in these games are never that complex. yeah you may not know the whole story but a good guess can pretty much sum it up. releasing a zombie outbreak is a STUPID plan for any villain with any sense, it only works for Saturday morning villains who are just evil for the sake of being evil,

yes all genres need innovation but horror and comedy need it even more.

HELL nah all the games aren't fun, if 6 wasn't a RE title i would have skipped over this easily there are a LOT more action games that do what it does a LOT better. it's a slopply made game not even because f the lack of horror it's all the other s****

4 brought in the casuals huh? yeah okay alright lol whatever you say buddy...guess it didn't help that it was one of the best games of last generation

Yeah they should have ended RE by now.
#49Hawke0Posted 11/6/2012 9:47:50 PM
The original Biohazard and its remake counterpart are masterpieces. Period.
REmake yes... RE1? LOL. Classic yeah, but a masterpiece? I don't see how REmake can be so vastly superior yet RE1 is still a masterpiece. You may have a minor nostalgia glasses problem.

Gun Survivor (Survivor) is a win with the Guncom support as far as fun factor is concerned. And hell, its atmosphere in on par with some of the most atmospheric titles in the series.
Heroes Never Die (Dead Aim) is EXTREMELY underrated. The game is beautiful looking enough. Also, it executes the BH brand experience the series was known for throughout the 90's and the early 2000's.

I noticed a spelling error there, I think you meant to say "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL".

BH3: Last Escape is a masterpiece. And I'm not just saying that. This game is in alot of ways better than 2. Nemesis did so many things right and then some. It has great puzzles, great action with some added gameplay mechanics and a great weapon variety, randomized events (Such as enemy and item sets), a seemingly unavoidable stalker (The Nemesis. Ustanak has nothing on Nemesis as far as being unpredictable. Absolutely nothing. Ustanak is a 1 way script) and of course the original BH brand experience.
Great game yes, masterpiece is pushing it.

And finally, the Outbreak games. It showcases the original BH brand experience while at one point, incorporated the all original survival horror online multiplayer. This project is easily a masterpiece and represents some of the best efforts the Biohazard franchise has ever offered.
You just call anything with the old gameplay a masterpiece automatically, right?
---
C2 FC: 0562-2516-9316 Idiot definition of the week, Generic: Any game that is in first person and/or involves guns. Use: "Dur, Bioshock is so generic"
#50Jonathan_F_GPosted 11/6/2012 9:49:43 PM
tuznecote posted...
I still think the new RE is just as good as the old RE.

Would you not of liked the New RE to be a side series and the Old RE to continue on. Is there absolutely no argument for that?

That's what I would've preferred. I was f'ing pumped for RE3.5 (Any of the 2 versions) specifically, after the first Outbreak title, Zero and REmake. I was craving more survival horror throughout the early 2000's. And the thought of the SH genre getting stale never crossed my mind. Not one time.
---