Why do people love the classic REs so much?

#111edward18Posted 11/19/2012 2:31:43 PM
What is with you and Goldsickle drawing young anime girls in suggestive positions?..
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#112Fear the MONKEYPosted 11/19/2012 2:36:29 PM
because it was different from everything else in the market back then. the only thing similar was silent hill, and i think silent hill 1 came out after the success of resident evil 1 (though i could be wrong)...

now, the market is saturated with shooters, first- or third-person. imagine this game didnt have the resident evil name, characters, or little subplots involving viruses and herbs or whatever. would it do as well as it did?

i personally think our main issue with these new ones is that they dont feel "resident evil-ish". sounds weird and its hard to describe but i pretty much mean they feel like any other third person shooter now without the distinct flavor/atmosphere/story/puzzle challenges that the "classic" games brought to the table back then.
---
psn id: FearTheMonkey
#113riddlebox89Posted 11/19/2012 8:25:09 PM
Goldsickle posted...
There's really no more hiding behind "my opinion, your opinion" at this point.
There are overwhelming reasons why the overall format is outdated.

Yeah sure...in your opinion.

Oh, and by the way, call it hiding behind the "my opinion vs your opinion" argument all you want, but it's a lot better than hiding behind BS "out of the ass" reasons.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#114Hawke0Posted 11/19/2012 8:37:00 PM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Goldsickle posted...
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
Prerendered graphics are not outdated, you just probably don't like them.

Prerendered backgrounds are totally outdated. No "my opinion, your opinion" about this.
They are objectively outdated, due to a variety of reasons.

First of all, prerendered backgrounds has the potential of eating up lots of RAM, which increases loading times.
The current Resident Evil could load large areas at once and adding prerendered backgrounds will only revert everything back to loading one room at a time.

While they were necessary back then, to take away some polygons from the backgrounds so that character models can have more, they're totally unneeded with the current hardware.
Furthermore, the rendering, shading and lighting effects of today allows for realistic backgrounds, while being able to look around freely, which makes prerendered backgrounds even more unnecessary.

There are just overwhelming factors on why prerendered backgrounds will never make a return.
At most, you will only get fixed camera on certain spots in RE6.

RE5 and 6 are just mindless action games

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

Both RE5 & RE6 has it's share of exploration, puzzles and even miscellaneous stuff like stealth.

Especially in RE6, where there are some clever scenarios like Jake & Sherry cooperating to escape imprisonment, as well as stealth & puzzles in Ada's campaign.
Some of the bosses are "puzzle bosses", meaning if you thought you could just kill everything by emptying clips into them, you're dead wrong.

There are a number of instances where I needed to stop to think in order to progress.
So I really don't see where all this blind accusation that RE6 is a "mindless action game" is coming from.

You're right it's not a matter of opinion because prerendered backgrounds are not outdated lol. They are no longer needed because of 3D graphics, that much is true, but they still tend to look better and more realistic. Just look at REmake vs RE4 or even RE6. I would say REmake's graphics look much more realistic, not to mention creepier than any of the newer games. They do use up more RAM, but the PS3 is also a lot more advanced. We should at least be at a point where we're able to skip the loading doors as you can in RE2's PC version.

As for 2D backgrounds making a comeback, I won't complain either way as long as they bring the focus back to survival horror. They can do that with 2D or 3D backgrounds for all I care. I definitely want RE2 and 3 remakes to be prerendered though.

Btw RE5 and 6 are totally mindless shooters. What are you doing throughout most of those games? Shooting enemies. In other words, the same thing you do in COD/Killzone/Gears. COD has stealth/exploration areas too, what's your point? The overall focus of these games is on action.

Your ignorance is completely hilarious. I'd like to thank you for giving me something to laugh at.
---
C2 FC: 0562-2516-9316
"Red Steel 2 is not a sword fighting simulator, it is a badass simulator."-Sean Colleli
#115Hawke0Posted 11/19/2012 8:40:12 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
Goldsickle posted...
There's really no more hiding behind "my opinion, your opinion" at this point.
There are overwhelming reasons why the overall format is outdated.

Yeah sure...in your opinion.

Oh, and by the way, call it hiding behind the "my opinion vs your opinion" argument all you want, but it's a lot better than hiding behind BS "out of the ass" reasons.

Tank controls+pre rendered backgrounds+loading times ARE outdated. Does that make them objectively bad? No, but they are. I'd still much prefer them and a lot of old games in general to games like Crysis or Call of Duty Mundane Borefare.
---
C2 FC: 0562-2516-9316
"Red Steel 2 is not a sword fighting simulator, it is a badass simulator."-Sean Colleli
#116Big_Boss1432Posted 11/19/2012 8:41:34 PM
COD has turned so many poser gamers into alleged "true gamers" just because they hate it. I'm so done with this gen of gamers. "You kill enemies with a gun so its COD!" You do that in ratchet and Clank, in fact you blow the *** out of stuff 24/7. Does that make it COD? No, it doesn't. Unless activision or infinity ward makes it, its not COD.
---
If this game wasn't gonna be sick; then I wouldn't be posting on this board, guy. Long story short.... THIS. GAME. IS. GONNA. BE. sick.
#117edward18Posted 11/19/2012 8:44:42 PM

Tank controls+pre rendered backgrounds+loading times ARE outdated.

Loading times? Yes. That's technological advancement that comes with newer systems. Pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls? No. Those are stylistic decisions, not something that is limited.

Does that make them objectively bad? No, but they are.

...that statement makes no sense what-so-ever.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#118Big_Boss1432Posted 11/19/2012 8:46:56 PM
edward18 posted...

Tank controls+pre rendered backgrounds+loading times ARE outdated.

Loading times? Yes. That's technological advancement that comes with newer systems. Pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls? No. Those are stylistic decisions, not something that is limited.

Does that make them objectively bad? No, but they are.

...that statement makes no sense what-so-ever.

Idk, pre-rendered back grounds sounds awesme with the engines we have now. But then again, it could be a cop out since its just a still picture and the only things that are actually characters are the 3d models.
---
If this game wasn't gonna be sick; then I wouldn't be posting on this board, guy. Long story short.... THIS. GAME. IS. GONNA. BE. sick.
#119riddlebox89Posted 11/19/2012 8:47:14 PM
Hawke0 posted...
Tank controls+pre rendered backgrounds+loading times ARE outdated. Does that make them objectively bad? No, but they are. I'd still much prefer them and a lot of old games in general to games like Crysis or Call of Duty Mundane Borefare.

And do you want to give me some evidence to support them being outdated as fact and not opinion? Because as it looks, it's nothing but your opinion.

And lol at loading times being outdated, so I guess that would make every game in existence outdated? Since you know...they all have load screens where they have to load stuff.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#120vahn65Posted 11/19/2012 11:16:01 PM
Big_Boss1432 posted...
COD has turned so many poser gamers into alleged "true gamers" just because they hate it. I'm so done with this gen of gamers. "You kill enemies with a gun so its COD!" You do that in ratchet and Clank, in fact you blow the *** out of stuff 24/7. Does that make it COD? No, it doesn't. Unless activision or infinity ward makes it, its not COD.

^THIS!!! very well put!! i feel that any game with guns explosions and action is instantly compare to CoD i dont hate CoD but how its the posterboy for all games is terrible